Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"swiharta" wrote:
I found the reason MP3 files weren't getting parsed out, heads up on this if you use Python 2.7! It only requires changing one line of code.

Good work! I guess the question is whether there's any other potential problems and whether there's any benefit to going to 2.7.

"swiharta" wrote:
So, I have to assume mimetypes.guess_type() will return ("audio/mpeg", None) in the Python 2.6 interpreter, which is a more appropriate result I think. When I get a chance I'll try confirming this on another computer.

That's what I get on my computer with 2.6.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"swiharta" wrote:
Seems like there is no fast-forward / rewind for music? Would also be nice to be able to go skip through tracks when using "Shuffle All". Just making sure I'm not missing these things if they're there.

The hardware/firmware doesn't support FF/Rew for MP3s. My understanding is that to FF through a variable rate MP3 you have to decode it to see where you are. I guess Roku doesn't feel it's a necessary feature.

You can skip to a new song during shuffle mode using the right arrow button as long as you keep the Springboard screen (the screen with the song info) open. The left arrow also gets you a new song, but it should really go to the beginning of the current song and then go to the previous song(s), but that would require keeping a record of all the songs played and I didn't think it was worth the trouble. I may keep a record of the last N songs played and/or implement returning to the beginning of the current song when the left arrow button is pressed.

"swiharta" wrote:
BTW, my videos are working fine now that I selected the same larger folder which had given me problems, but made it a subdirectory of the share rather than the root. I was able to see the videos fine before, they just wouldn't play. It kind of smells like it would be an easy "bug" to patch, no? I'll take a look if I have time.

I'm surprised you can see the videos. If I remember correctly, not allowing a root directory was intentional to prevent someone from inadvertently exposing their entire C drive, for example. There's another check in the code to make sure no shenanigans like requests with ../../filename are allowed. Admittedly, these checks aren't necessary on a local network, but there were some ideas of using the server for other purposes.

-JT

0 Kudos
swiharta
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I guess the question is whether there's any other potential problems and whether there's any benefit to going to 2.7.

I don't think it's a big deal to install multiple versions of Python if needed, they just go to their own "C:\PythonXX" folders, but I haven't encountered any other issues in my brief testing with 2.7 so far. I agree I doubt there is any benefit to using 2.7, but I already had it installed for doing Django development.

Of course, if you do install multiple versions, only one version's folder should be set as a PATH in system environment variables, so their's no confusion as to what "python" does at the command line. This app I think always refers to "C:\Python26\python.exe" (for Windows folks), so you shouldn't need to mess with environment variables at all if you follow the directions provided (something I didn't do 100%!).
0 Kudos
jamchavez
Visitor

Got the server installed and running, the channel is coming up no problem, but when i attempt to open any folder it tells me it's empty, even though there are many, many files in each one. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,
James
0 Kudos
renojim

Check the server window for any messages and look in my_media_log.txt in the server directory to see if there are any error messages. You should be able to browse to http://localhost:8001/feed on your server and browse your media if the folders are configured properly.

-JT

0 Kudos
fizgig
Visitor

I just got this up and running, everything seems to work, I can browse and select vidoes and it starts trying to buffer a video and then the screen goes from the black buffering screen back to the yellow tile.

Windows 7 64 bit
Python 2.7 32 bit

I have found a bunch of these in the my_media_log.txt, any idea how to fix?

DEBUG:root:http://192.168.0.190:8001/media?name=..%5CTV%5CInsanity%5C2+Plyometric+Cardio+Circuit.m4v&key=video
WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\TV\Insanity\01 Dig Deeper and Fit Test.m4v. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this
WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\TV\Insanity\01 Dig Deeper and Fit Test.m4v. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this

//edit: nevermind, figured it out from another post, a drive root cannot be top level, you have to do H:\Video instead of just H:\

this is great, are there any other themes currently? I can write C#, JavaScript, VB, Objective C, Actionscript, PHP, PERL, SQL, Java and other web stuff but never dabbled in Python to try to edit this stuff.
0 Kudos
renojim

Welcome to My Media! I will be putting up an update/beta any day now that will allow user themes to change pretty much every graphic and color used in the channel.

Stay tuned!
-JT

0 Kudos
kretara
Visitor

I have My Media installed on my Linux box (Ubuntu 11.04) and have confirmed that I can view the music/video files via a web browser via my linux box and my Mac.

The issue that I am having is that when when I put in my 'validation' code, that I get from the Roku My Media channel, into http://rokumm.appspot.com the Roku channel never validates. I can go through the 'walkthrough' process and can see my files when I 'configure you server', but I can't get past the My Media code screen on my Roku box.

The Roku box is in developer mode.

My Linux box is set up behind a NAT. Firewall and MAC filtering are off. My router software is Tomato (if that makes a difference).

Anybody have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Welcome to My Media! I will be putting up an update/beta any day now that will allow user themes to change pretty much every graphic and color used in the channel.

Stay tuned!
-JT

will it be possible to choose thumbnail art for folders as well? Right now folders thumbnails are random generated by any image within the folder. I would love to be able to save an image as folder.jpg and have the folder show that thumnail. Possible?
0 Kudos
renojim

mkolby, I think it uses the first image it finds and I believe it finds them in alphabetical order, so it's not really random. I've just named whatever image I want to be the folder's image as 0.jpg (that's a zero) and it's always worked for me. However, you're probably right that it should be more concrete as to what image it uses for the folder.

-JT

0 Kudos