Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Yes, the window has to remain open, but you can minimize it. I don't have any folders with 100-200 pictures, but a folder I have with 68 pictures loads within a couple of seconds in a browser and doesn't take much longer to start to display something on the Roku. It will take several seconds to download all the thumbnail images, however.

Maybe your NAS is causing a problem? Can you try to copy a folder of pictures to your local disk and see if works better from there? Don't forget to change the path to photo_dir in config.ini.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sharpedge
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
"sharpedge" wrote:
What dimensions or ratio of height to width are people using for their movie artwork? Music artwork seems to scale fine, but the movie artwork is quite pixelated. It generally looks ok, except for the one movie that's selected. I checked and PIL is definitely installed, shouldn't PIL be doing the scaling smoothly?

Cheers

It could be because it's scaling for an SD screen and maybe you have a larger HD screen? The SD/HD thing is one of the things that we never got around to fully handling. You can try disabling the PIL package to see if it looks better. Just rename the PIL directory to something like PILtmp temporarily and restart the server. It's in C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages by default in Windows.

Another thing to try is to edit common.py and change the two lines
THB_DIM = THB_SD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_SD_DIM

to
THB_DIM = THB_HD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_HD_DIM

-JT

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm out of town this week but I'll try that at the weekend.
0 Kudos
rlutz
Visitor

Hey, I just wanted to start by saying thanks for all your hard work and for giving back to the OSS community. I also have some questions regarding MyMedia.

Anyway, I was recently struggling to figure out which option I wanted to go with for a DVP STB, my requirements were that it be able to play Netflix (being able to play NHL GCL is a huge plus), and be able to play content off my NAS. I was considering a WDTV live plus, but I notice the Roku boxes are considerably cheaper (and since I have no need to hook up a HDD to the STB, seems like a waste of money).

I read through the encoding instructions provided on your github's wiki, but I still have two unanswered questions that if you could assist me with I'd really appreciate it.

1) I see that the recommended encoding settings involve using x264, which isn't a problem, all of my HD stuff exists as mkv's with x264 video, but I'm curious what kind of support the myMedia channel has for SD xvid avi's? I have lots of older SD content (175 MB xvid avi's), and I'm hoping that myMedia will be able to play those as well without a hiccup.

2) Does myMedia work just as well on a Roku HD as it does on a Roku XD? I'm curious how different the hardware is on each regarding the CPU/RAM that one is apparently capable of 1080p and the other isn't.

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
renojim

1) The box itself has no AVI support of any kind, so no channel will be able to support AVIs.

2) I have an original N1000 box and the latest XDS box and I notice no difference in their performance. The newer boxes have more RAM and flash which allow improvements in some areas, but nothing that would affect MyMedia.

If streaming your own videos of different formats is of great importance to you, this probably isn't the right box. However, if you don't mind encoding them in a Roku-compatible format, then I think the box works just great and it's hard to beat the price. By the way, if you can run Python on your NAS then it can serve as the MyMedia server.

-JT

0 Kudos
rlutz
Visitor

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to write something to interface with the MyMedia server that could transcode non-compliant video on the fly. Since the source material is SD and I have a beefy machine I think it could be doable with a little Perl-fu and ffmpeg...

Thanks for your quick reply, I might try out the Roku box for 30 days and see what I can hack together and if it doesn't work out I'll return it and go with a wdtv live plus I guess.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Hey Jim,

Did you guys ever make any headway on the subtitle support?
0 Kudos
renojim

I sent el.wubo an update before Christmas with subtitle support and a "shuffle" mode for photos. I never heard from him. The last time I looked (quite a while ago), it hadn't been integrated into the git repository. It's funny how he pops up here every couple of months and then goes away.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"rlutz" wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to write something to interface with the MyMedia server that could transcode non-compliant video on the fly.

I did it a while ago with VLC and HLS, but I wasn't real happy with the results and didn't spend enough time trying to refine it. It's definitely possible and could even be integrated into the server to kick off the transcoding automatically, but I never had enough interest in doing it.

-JT

0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

I could finally get my pictures to show up on the roku box. Thank you so much.

I have another Roku box too and was wondering if multiple registration codes are supported.

Thanks
0 Kudos
tbbycatt
Visitor

can't get to the server setup page?

I have everything set up, but when I try to link to the server configuration page...it won't connect with anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. I took the easy way and set it up through the private channel.

Finally got the mymedia.bat file to run...get the message:

warning: this server has not completed rendevous

I can now get the page where it lists my music, my media...

ok...can't get it to register now?
0 Kudos