Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

The roku_ip should be set to the IP address of your Roku, but I don't believe that's needed anymore unless you're trying to load the channel in developer mode.

Can you browse to http://192.168.1.5:8001/feed (preferably from a computer other than your server, but if that's all you have that will do) and then click on "My Videos" and play one of your videos from there?

Check the my_media_log.txt file that's created in the same directory as mymedia.py and see if there are any error messages in it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can get to the address you posted and play a video on the server computer. From another computer, I can get to the address (although only in IE and not Chrome, where I only see a block of raw HTML), but cannot play the video. When I select the video, the file type is not recognized (it comes thru as just "media", not an mp4), so it won't open. If I save the file and open it with VLC, only a second or two plays before VLC refuses to continue playing it (shows a santa hat over a traffic cone).

There are no errors in the my_media_log file.

How would I know the IP address of the Roku?
0 Kudos
renojim

Chrome doesn't handle RSS feeds. I believe there is an extension, but I'm not crazy about Chrome so I don't use it.

You can find your Roku's IP address by going to the "player info" page under settings. I don't think setting it correctly will make a difference.

I'm running out of ideas. It appears to be a server problem. You should be able to save a file from another computer and play it. Can you try disabling the Windows firewall on the server computer?

-JT

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I messed around some more, and am able to download a video from the server to another computer, save it, and play it. I can't open it directly in the browser without saving it, but I suspect that is because quicktime isn't installed on that computer.

The only odd thing about saving it on another computer is that when it saves, the filename doesn't include the filename extension. "media.mp4" gets saved as simply "media". When downloaded and saved to the server computer, it is saved properly with the extension.

Video still won't play on the roku.

Thanks for your continued help.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did get a short (3 mb) video to play on the roku. However, it seems to play on only 50% of my attempts to play it, the other 50% it still gets stuck "loading". I tried to play a full length movie (2 GB), but it would not play.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"snowfiend131" wrote:
I did get a short (3 mb) video to play on the roku. However, it seems to play on only 50% of my attempts to play it, the other 50% it still gets stuck "loading". I tried to play a full length movie (2 GB), but it would not play.

I noticed that your configuration file is missing the new "regid" field. It's possible you installed a really old version that doesn't work with the current Roku firmware. The instructions in the first post in this forum are the instructions you should follow... starting with clicking a link to add the My Media private channel to account. If you followed any instructions involving springboard you probably installed an out-of-date version.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the regid, I just didn't type it before. It is cqwp.
0 Kudos
impiouspunk
Visitor

Was wondering if anyone can help me. Any time I play a mpeg4 file it will play for about 5 minutes and then the roku will crash and reboot. Ive never had this happen with any other channel only occasionally when the roku returns from idle.

I've already done a factory reset and a hard reset. I only have my media, amazon, hulu and Netflix channels installed.

The media server is installed on windows 7 with the files on a external USB drive.

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any way to get any logs from the roku? I couldn't discern any real problems from the server log.
0 Kudos
jimmyswimmy
Binge Watcher

Hi, I'm looking for a little setup help here. I am using the developer mode version of My Media because I would like to be able to help out (by the way, that's a big difference between this and Roksbox, for anyone keeping score). In particular I am using what I think is the upcoming release (but I could be mistaken): netguy204-roku_media_server-d65dec6

I have a library of videos that work well in Roksbox, so I know the Roku can play them. However, I used a test file posted in this forum a few weeks back (x264_Cool_bird_loves_Ray_Charles.m4v) to demonstrate that I'm not doing something wrong.

Here are the details.
1. Server is an Ubuntu box running python 2.6.5.
2. I set up config.ini to contain the following:

[config]
music_dir = /var/www/media/music/
video_dir = /var/www/media/video/
server_ip = 192.168.1.100
collapse_collections = False
roku_ip = roku-den.xxx.dyndns.org
max_folders_before_split = 10
theme = default
python_path = /usr/bin/python
server_port = 8001
photo_dir = /var/www/media/pictures

3. The feed comes up fine at http://192.168.1.100:8001/feed, I can see everything. On the Roku box I can also see the files/directories/categories.
4. When I try to watch any movie, I just get a black screen for a second, retreiving begins, and the server displays
192.168.1.41:60405 - - [29/Dec/2010 22:36:10] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.41:60406 - - [29/Dec/2010 22:36:10] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.41:60408 - - [29/Dec/2010 22:36:10] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.41:60409 - - [29/Dec/2010 22:36:10] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 200 OK

At the same time, the debug session on the roku box displays

UpdateNowPlaying
GetOffset
Starting from position 0
Displaying video:
http://192.168.1.100:8001/media?name=x264_Cool_bird_loves_Ray_Charles.m4v&key=video
play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.
Closing video screen
SaveOffset
RefreshPosters
AsyncGetSongListFromFeed
AGSI: true
roUrlEvent - level 1
SilentRefresh
Current poster: 6 x264_Cool_bird_loves_Ray_Charles
CreateSimplePoster
CreateSimplePoster
CreateSimplePoster
GetOffset
theme logo pkg:/images/video_Logo_Overhang_HD.png

5. I have verified on my laptop that I can watch and hear the video "x264_Cool_bird_loves_Ray_Charles.m4v" via the link http://192.168.1.100:8001/media?name=x2 ... &key=video , although I'm not sure I'm any smarter for having done so. I actually watched the whole thing, so I can say that anybody else watching that video ought to skip ahead to the end where the bird starts putting his whole body into it. Solid gold.

Little help? I started looking through the docs from the dev kit but this didn't get me very far - especially with that awesome error message (unexpected problem but not timeout or HTTP error - thanks).

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
renojim

"impiouspunk" wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can help me. Any time I play a mpeg4 file it will play for about 5 minutes and then the roku will crash and reboot. Ive never had this happen with any other channel only occasionally when the roku returns from idle.

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any way to get any logs from the roku? I couldn't discern any real problems from the server log.

I haven't seen this before. I'd suspect a dying power adapter, but you say it doesn't happen with other channels. The only thing I can suggest is to load the channel in developer mode and telnet to port 8085 to see if anything useful gets printed out before the crash. There aren't many, if any, ways to crash the box via the code. The goal is to not be able to crash the box and as problems are found, the good Roku people patch the firmware.

-JT

0 Kudos