Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Same problem here. My daughter was not pleased that her collection wasn't working this morning after yesterday's update. Never had a problem before.

Nothing's changed on my Ubuntu box or in my network, so I can only imagine the update is the problem.
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Yep. Me too. I'm not too happy. I will look into this, but v2.8 seems to have killed myMedia. Smiley Mad

-JT

Thank you for looking into it, I don't want use any other local streaming channels. All the ones I've tried, the UI is toooooo slow. I've got a large collection and MyMedia is the best for speed. I can confirm that roksbox works with 2.8, so other streaming solutions still work. Need my MyMedia back. 🙂
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Jim, drop me a note. Are you using HLS? There are a couple of channels affected and we're looking into it. More information is always better.
0 Kudos
markhood
Visitor

Dang, just read about this issue. Is there a way to block the 2.8 update? MyMedia is definitely the best channel for local media streaming from embedded Linux servers and it's way more important to me than a shinier user interface.
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

Same here. MyMedia no longer works after the update. Was working fine earlier this week, and the same videos now refuse to play.
0 Kudos
capt_kirk
Visitor

I can confirm that the 2.8 update has broken the MyMedia Python script video streaming, beyond debate. Roku pushed the update onto my unit sometime last night. Yesterday I was watching videos; today those same videos will not stream at all - I select one that I was watching yesterday, it starts to buffer, then dumps right back to the previous screen. Thereafter I cannot even get that far unless I exit the channel then go back in again. Music files still play fine. BTW, I've got MyMedia installed on both a Windows XP and an CentOS box, and I get exactly the same results from both. Neither kicks out any kind of error message in the terminal window, unfortunately. I hope you can figure this out - the only other option is Gabby, and it's pretty poor.

Thanks!

Ed
0 Kudos

I am posting mainly to say that mymedia has been the only channel other then netflix that I really use my roku for anymore. I really love this channel and was extremely disappointed when I went to watch a show today and it didn't work. I know that you don't make money off from this channel and that you provide this great channel to all of us because you are so nice. I only hope that it helps to know that many of us do greatly appreciate your efforts and are crossing our collective fingers that the channel can be updated to work with the new update.

Thanks so much for all your work!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I posted this in the developer's forum, but I'll repeat it here. It's looking more and more like the problem with myMedia is not Roku's fault. My sincere apologies to all the good people at Roku for assuming it was. It looks like the buffering/retrieving changed significantly from 2.7 to 2.8 and it exposed some flaws in el.wubo's Python server. I'm still working on it, but I'm no Python expert. I hope to have a fix in the next day or so. Believe me, I want it fixed as much as anyone.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I posted this in the developer's forum, but I'll repeat it here. It's looking more and more like the problem with myMedia is not Roku's fault. My sincere apologies to all the good people at Roku for assuming it was. It looks like the buffering/retrieving changed significantly from 2.7 to 2.8 and it exposed some flaws in el.wubo's Python server. I'm still working on it, but I'm no Python expert. I hope to have a fix in the next day or so. Believe me, I want it fixed as much as anyone.

-JT

JT, thanks for your work on this - I don't think it was a big stretch to think that the problem was with the update. Hopefully the fix is relatively simple! Happy to help with testing if needed (I run the server on Ubuntu).
0 Kudos
JustDave

I really do love this program, thanks for everything you've done and will continue to do in the future! If you need any testers, count me in.
0 Kudos