Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

It looks like your server can't communicate with your Roku. Did you recently change some firewall or router settings? Can you ping your Roku's ip address? Can you browse to your Roku's ip address (e.g., http://192.168.1.108)? If you can browse to the Roku's "Development Application Installer" page, you could try to install the client from there. The zip was created by springboard.py and is named 'client.zip' in the 'zips' directory (alongside of the 'server' and 'client' directories).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help!

Attempts to ping my Roku's IP address time out, so that's not working. But I *can* navigate to my Roku's IP address with my browser, and installed the client.zip file through the page. (I got a warning that the application exceeds the maximum recommended size but it looks like it installed correctly.)

When I start the server in terminal, I get this:

writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8007/

The "Stop Server" button is there, but I'm assuming the server isn't running given the 0's in the IP address, and I can't connect to the server IP address using my broswer.

I haven't changed any firewall / router settings, but I do have another server that runs on my computer (I have a Squeezebox for my audio files) and it's possible it's interacting with my firewalls / router settings and mucking things up. Is there somewhere I should check to see what the firewall / router settings are?
0 Kudos
renojim

The 0's in the ip address are normal. I've always wondered about it, but haven't looked at that part of the server code to figure out why it's there. Did you change the port to 8007? The default is 8001, I believe. What happens now on the Roku? Does it display a popup that says something about a server error? If so, go into the settings and make sure the server ip and port are correct. If you want to be sure the server is working properly, browse to your server's ip and port (e.g., http://192.168.1.100:8007) preferably from a different computer than the server, but if you don't have another computer you can do it on the server itself.

It's very strange that you can't ping the Roku.

-JT

0 Kudos

Has the rebuffering issue been solved for streaming video to the Roku box?

I can confirm the solution of encoding video files at 29.97 fps which solves the problem.

Some some of my video steams become choppy and are geared for 23.97 fps but will rebuffer after 60+ mins or so. Is there a solution or another home streaming service to use?

Also, has this project stopped?

Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
midiwall
Visitor

"Timmy Likes to Click" wrote:
Is there a solution or another home streaming service to use?

I installed a couple of projects, and ended up settling on Roksbox:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058
:: Mark
0 Kudos
renojim

Has the rebuffering issue been solved for streaming video to the Roku box?

I can confirm the solution of encoding video files at 29.97 fps which solves the problem.

Some some of my video steams become choppy and are geared for 23.97 fps but will rebuffer after 60+ mins or so. Is there a solution or another home streaming service to use?

Also, has this project stopped?

Thanks in advance...

The buffering problem has nothing to do with which streaming channel you use, so although I haven't checked it myself I would say your experience shows that it has not been fixed in the firmware. I know Roku knows about it, but I guess it's a low priority.

el.wubo hasn't been around for quite a while, but I'm still here ready to comment on or implement any suggestions. The lack of interest lately has made me wonder if it's worth my time anymore. I'd like to clean up a few things and fix a few others, but I probably won't be able to get to them for a while.

-JT

0 Kudos
ashes00
Visitor

renojim - Thanks for all your hard work on this since el.wubo stepped out. Maybe NWM can jump in? 😄
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"midiwall" wrote:
Is there a solution or another home streaming service to use?

I installed a couple of projects, and ended up settling on Roksbox:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058

I've tried them all, but MyMedia seems to be the fastest when it comes to navigation. I've got a ton of movies and the other channels just seem to crawl with my library, MyMedia is very quick comparatively speaking. Thanks for such a great channel!!! 😄
0 Kudos

I would agree this project has been one of the biggest pluses for the Roku...

Big up...
0 Kudos
myplanet
Visitor

One thing I'd like is for My Media to be easier to connect with my PC (much like other Media Servers). If my internet connection is dropped, and I bring everything up, IP addresses are different for PC and ROKU. I have to setup the IP numbers on the springboard file, start the server, then go to My Media on Roku and setup the IP address of the PC. This can be slightly annoying for those that have intermittent connections. I have newer internet modem from my ISP, and I haven't had the connections dropped anymore, but it was a problem before.

Other than that, this has been a great project! I'd like for it to continue and hopefully one day become a public channel for others to use.
0 Kudos