Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saqqara
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Renojim, I look forward to testing and using this and future versions and do appreciate the work you are doing to carry this project forward, including implementing some of my suggestions. I do agree that the best direction this project can take is to make installation and upgrading less formidable for non-technical folks. Roku people don't like to leave the couch. 🙂
0 Kudos
aamster
Visitor

Video loading bar in my media reaches half way and then aborts with video in mp4 format on my media 1e9c6ee. WHY???
0 Kudos
wbmurray
Visitor

@aamster
Have you tried multiple videos with the same outcome? What are the specs of the video that fails?
0 Kudos
aamster
Visitor

Hi, wbmurray. I have tried multiple videos of the same file type to no avail. The weird thing is these files that I am trying have worked in the past. This has happened to me before; I realized I didn't have the most up to date my media, I updated it, and it worked. But this time I do have the most up to date my media, so i don't know what to do.

Video specs:
mp4
h.264 video codec
aac audio
1.27 GB
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

aamster, do you have a video that doesn't work now that used to work before that you could post somewhere (preferably less than 1.2GB, but I'll take anything). What version of the Roku firmware do you have? I haven't seen any mp4 videos that don't work now that used to work, but I and someone else have had problems with wmv videos that used to work but don't work with the latest Roku firmware.

I doubt it will make a difference, but the latest version of myMedia is Extreme Avocado. I'd have to say this is more likely a Roku firmware issue than a myMedia issue, but I'd like to take a look at it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
aamster
Visitor

After the update to Extreme Avocado, the mp4 file played gloriously. I don't get it. Maybe someone else can explain it to me.
0 Kudos
renojim

Wow! That's odd since nothing really changed with respect to playing videos. It may just have been that you needed to restart the server and upgrading accomplished that.

Glad you got it working!
-JT

0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
What streams are you using for the oil spill cam and Disneyworld? It would be nice if we could somehow keep a list of working streams. Maybe just links to where the m3u8 file can be downloaded?

I'm glad the fix worked!

-JT

I got both the m2u8 files from ustream.tv.

The oil spill is the PBS Newshour. It loads at about the same rate as other videos. Right now I'm having buffering problems with it, but it may be my network problems (see my note below).
#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=672000, CODECS="avc1.66.30, mp4a.40.5"
http://wow02.ustream.tv/ustreamVideo/4424524/BW1/streams/live/playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=1420885220

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=64000, CODECS="mp4a.40.5"
http://wow02.ustream.tv/ustreamVideo/4424524/BW2/streams/live_audio/playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=1866055554

The Disney one was a special live event on ustream last night. I mostly watched it to test the streaming capability. It worked great for the most part. It took a long time to start, but it showed great when it did.

Towards the end it started rebuffering and I had to exit out and restart it. It may have been because of mymedia or because of network traffic at my house (too many computers & internet TV devices; not enough bandwidth). I won't know until I can test it without everyone else being online at my house stealing all the bandwidth. :mrgreen:

It's hit or miss with the videos. I tried lots of different videos and it seems either they work or they don't. I don't know if it's because they are not in a compatible audio/video format or what. I imagine that it might be the case though. They may only have selected streams iphone compatible.

I got the urls from by using the following url:
http://iphone-streaming.ustream.tv/ustr ... ylist.m3u8

The whole process...
1. Find live video on ustream.tv
2. Right-click on live video>View profile (will give you a 404 page)
3. Copy number at end of url for the 404 page (it is the USERID for the ustream video)
4. Paste url with USERID into browser
5. Download m3u8 file.
0 Kudos
renojim

"dellsweig" wrote:
streams from all the BP cameras

http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?cat ... Id=7062605

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those aren't in a format that the Roku DVP supports.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
I got both the m2u8 files from ustream.tv.

I totally missed that from your original post.

"canaws" wrote:
It's hit or miss with the videos. I tried lots of different videos and it seems either they work or they don't. I don't know if it's because they are not in a compatible audio/video format or what. I imagine that it might be the case though. They may only have selected streams iphone compatible.

I've noticed the same thing - some streams work and some don't, and even ones that work don't always seem to work. I would think anything that works on the iphone should work for us because it uses HLS as far as I know.

"canaws" wrote:
I got the urls from by using the following url:
http://iphone-streaming.ustream.tv/ustr ... ylist.m3u8

Thanks. I'll have to give some of them a try.

-JT

0 Kudos