Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"skug67" wrote:
I was just wondering if there was any chance that someone could hack the code on Netflix/Wii disc so that the Wii could read data from a MyMedia channel. That would substantially increase the usefulness of my Wii for watching video since I have a bunch of videos I've recorded on a Mythbuntu box (and transcoded) to watch on my Roku. Sound at all feasible?

Sure. It would be possible. Whether it's practical or not depends on how much support Nintendo would offer (especially in the form of an SDK and documentation) and how much it would cost for said support. Roku makes all of that available for free so it's easy for anyone to write software for the Roku without a big financial investment and business plan.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

It's been a little while since I looked at Roksbox, but I personally prefer my media because I don't need to to worry about all the extra software and running stuff everytime I add new content. Roksbox does give you some good extra functions if you need them, but for what I do, My Media is perfect.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"el.wubo" wrote:
Latest Developers Release: DeftAvocado

For el.wubo & crew...

Small graphics image issue: The video icon for the high contrast theme says myMovies instead of myVideos. You might want to change it to be consistent with the feed page and with the top navigation bar, both of which say My Videos.

Other than that, everything is a-ok!

Also, I noticed that neither the download guide @ http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_server/README.html or Getting Started @ http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_server/ include anything about PIL.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

A few months ago, I was attempting to get slimserver to stream to Roku. I got it working using the sample code and having it point to http://slimserver:9000/stream.mp3. I added this url to my media and eventually I got it to work. But, the same issues I had previously happens here. The issue is the slimserver send as much stream as the roku will cache at once. So essentially, you get about 30 to 40 mins worth of mp3 locally stored on the roku. So, if you change the content you want to play on the slim server, it takes 30 mins to take effect or you have to flush the buffer and let the roku rebuffer the stuff.

Is there anyway to get roku/my media just to cache about 10 secs worth of stuff versus until end of memory?

I created several threads on this topic, before this awesome mymedia application was created.

For those of you who haven't looked at Slimserver (now logitech) its a pretty cool program. It bascially opens an mp3 stream to your player and let's you control what you put on that stream via browser (I use a palmtx w/wifi to control the stream and its works well...)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If your goal is to only control the music being streamed to the Roku via some external control without interfacing with some client running on the Roku, I don't think there's much that can be done. Roku gives the client very little control over the audio player itself. Once the url(s) to the song(s) is setup, the player controls all buffering. There's nothing in the API that allows any control over the cache. I'm sure a Roku client app could be written to periodically check with the server to see if the cache should be flushed, but then you'd have to add something to the SlimServer to respond to the Roku client.

On the other hand, the Roku client could be signaled somehow from the Roku remote control to flush its cache, but I get the feeling this isn't what you're looking for.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

That's what I figured.. I was hoping there was some additional api control over the player. I have created a flush cache button using the sample player. Since I am not a programmer I just put a menu option called flush cache and when you click it, it would issue stop player and then play, which flushed the buffer.. I am sure there are more elegent ways of doing this.

The player from the happague media mvp device here http://www.mvpmc.org/ does exactly what I need done on the roku.

"renojim" wrote:
If your goal is to only control the music being streamed to the Roku via some external control without interfacing with some client running on the Roku, I don't think there's much that can be done. Roku gives the client very little control over the audio player itself. Once the url(s) to the song(s) is setup, the player controls all buffering. There's nothing in the API that allows any control over the cache. I'm sure a Roku client app could be written to periodically check with the server to see if the cache should be flushed, but then you'd have to add something to the SlimServer to respond to the Roku client.

On the other hand, the Roku client could be signaled somehow from the Roku remote control to flush its cache, but I get the feeling this isn't what you're looking for.

-JT
0 Kudos
klhuber2000
Visitor

Would it be possible to add a folder called "My RSS Feeds" or something like that, that would contain your own feeds? Maybe you could point to a textfile on a share, that would contain a <CR> separated list of personal RSS feeds.

I know Mediafly allows you to do this, but it would be neat to be able to use My Media instead, and lose Mediafly.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

For my cacheing problem, could I add a large file to the mymedia zip file which would take most of the memory avail to roku so it wouldn't cache so much? How much memory is in roku? I wonder if there are 2 separate memory blocks one for caching and one for pgm.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't know how/if it's enforced, but apps are limited to 2 meg in size. For your cache problem, I thought about the idea of starting a slideshow with one huge jpeg that would take up most of the RAM. For what it's worth, even thought it's not mentioned in the docs, the photo viewer supports bitmaps. It's been a while since I tried viewing bitmaps (.bmp files) so I'm not sure, but they may have to be renamed to have a .jpg extension. It seems like a kludge, but it might be worth experimenting with. There's also the ability to create files on the Roku in a tmp directory/partition. There's no documentation as to where the file actually gets stored so I don't know if it gets stored in RAM or if there's some other memory like flash, but I would think it gets stored in the RAM. There's also no documentation as to how much storage space there is in tmp, but I suppose you could try to write out a large file and see what happens.

As to the question of how much RAM the Roku DVP has, I believe there is just one 64 megabyte chip on the board, but don't hold me to that.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jbssfl

Hi - Nice work guys! I can get the video to work (although only with a selected few media types that work with the player of course), but I can't seem to get the music to work. The Roku Player says it cannot connect when I select "My Music", and when I navigate to the feed url in my browser I get the following. I think this might have to do with folder/file names, characters or spaces etc? Or possibly because I have a LOT of music and subfolders etc... not sure. BTW I am running the server on an Arch Linux machine and the path to the music (and video) folder is actually an NFS share on another local machine on the network.

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/196541/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos