Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canaws
Binge Watcher

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
"canaws" wrote:
Report on CacklingAvacado

You guys are supremely awesome!
Anyone care to help me out on the playlist problem? I'm making m3u files with WMP11, but roku tells me that there is no audio to retrieve. What should the filepaths to my mp3s look like?

What does the m3u file look like? It's just a text file, so you could copy and paste it here if you like. For me, I have my music path in config.ini as:
music_dir = F:\Roku\Media\Music

Then in my m3u playlist file I have:
F:\Roku\Media\Music\Artist 1\Album 1\song1.mp3
F:\Roku\Media\Music\Artist 2\Album 1\song3.mp3
etc.

There's nothing special about an m3u file, so you could create one with any text editor. Once you get one to work, you should be able to figure out what WMP11 is doing.

-JT

I made a couple of test files. It looks like WMP does not put the full path of the files only the relative path. They only go as far back as the artist's folder. I corrected it to add the full paths and they worked fine.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

"shelleyp" wrote:
I have a video that I ripped for AppleTV that does play, but no sound. I'm going to try Handbrake settings others have mentioned in this thread.

Check to see if your ripped files have multiple audio tracks. Multiple tracks is a known cause for the audio not working on the Roku DVP.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"shelleyp" wrote:
I noticed a couple of things I thought I would post:
Lastly, the mymedia icon shows up in my channel lineup, but not in My Channels in the Channels store.

The channel only shows on the developer install/remove page (IP address of your roku box), because you added the channel in developer mode. It's as if you were making a channel yourself and testing it.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"canaws" wrote:

I made a couple of test files. It looks like WMP does not put the full path of the files only the relative path. They only go as far back as the artist's folder. I corrected it to add the full paths and they worked fine.

Relative paths work, you just have to put the .m3u file in the right folder so that the relative paths are relative to where the m3u file is.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"shelleyp" wrote:

I have a video that I ripped for AppleTV that does play, but no sound. I'm going to try Handbrake settings others have mentioned in this thread. If anyone has any quick suggestions, though, I'd appreciate it.

The other two videos I made (from my own recorded video) play beautifully. Better than the AppleTV in fact. I guess we can now say that Roku does better than the AppleTV because I have compared the same video on both.

I was able to get my eMusic to play, but I noticed that I couldn't stop the songs from playing by pressing pause. I also noticed that when I would try to Home out of the mymedia folder (pressing Up or Home), it sometimes wouldn't work while a song was playing. Also, when a song or video wasn't playing, sometimes it would pop back into mymedia without any key presses.

Lastly, the mymedia icon shows up in my channel lineup, but not in My Channels in the Channels store. So, don't know how to remove the channel. And if you close the server while you're in the mymedia channel, you can't get out. You get stuck in the cannot retrieve media list page, and you can't get out. This strikes me as not a good thing.

I imagine that I need to go through this forum thread to find the info I need to avoid these problems. I hope.

I also have a Windows box I think I'll try setting up, too. That's the machine I use for most of my video work anyway.

All in all, this has been one of the funnest (scary beginning aside) new additions I've seen on the Roku, since I got my first Roku box.

Make sure you have the latest version. It sounds like some of the issues you're having are from older versions.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
"canaws" wrote:

Relative paths work, you just have to put the .m3u file in the right folder so that the relative paths are relative to where the m3u file is.

-JT

The WMP m3u gives the file path as follows:
The Noisettes\Wild Young Hearts (2009)\07 Atticus.mp3 aka artist\album\track

I was saving them in my main music directory (on level with the artist's folders), but I was getting the no audio retrieved message. The org for my music is C:\Users\Me\Music\Artist\Album\Track. Any idea where I should be saving them instead? I like not having to rename file paths. 😃

Thanks!
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

"DeftOne" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:
I have a video that I ripped for AppleTV that does play, but no sound. I'm going to try Handbrake settings others have mentioned in this thread.

Check to see if your ripped files have multiple audio tracks. Multiple tracks is a known cause for the audio not working on the Roku DVP.

Thanks. I'm going to try another video tonight, but remove the AC3 Passthru, which is added with the AppleTV preset. I'm also going to web optimize. Will see how it goes.

Thanks, again.
0 Kudos

Just a quick question, is there any chance of making a playlist/folder directory in the config dedicated specifically for playlist i.e.
music_dir = x:\Music\
video_dir = x:\Movies
Playlist _dir = x:\Playlist

....for organizational purposes & ease of selecting a playlist for things such as moods etc. etc. ?

*edit* I've also just noticed that a .m3u playlist I currently created is not finding a song that I have listed in my test playlist.

Current playlist:

E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3
E:\Music\Roy Orbison\Roy Orbison - You Got It.mp3
E:\Music\Dicky Lee\Dicky Lee - Patches.mp3
E:\Music\Freddy Weller\Freddy Weller - Room 269.mp3
E:\Music\Jace Everett\Jace Everett - Bad Things.mp3
E:\Music\Jerry Lee Lewis\Jerry Lee Lewis - What's Made Milwaukee Famous.mp3

The song Will The Circle Be Unbroken does not show up nor play, all the other songs do.
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

"canaws" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:
Lastly, the mymedia icon shows up in my channel lineup, but not in My Channels in the Channels store.

The channel only shows on the developer install/remove page (IP address of your roku box), because you added the channel in developer mode. It's as if you were making a channel yourself and testing it.

Thanks, much. I also need to spend more time with the SDK documentation, too.
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:

I have a video that I ripped for AppleTV that does play, but no sound. I'm going to try Handbrake settings others have mentioned in this thread. If anyone has any quick suggestions, though, I'd appreciate it.

The other two videos I made (from my own recorded video) play beautifully. Better than the AppleTV in fact. I guess we can now say that Roku does better than the AppleTV because I have compared the same video on both.

I was able to get my eMusic to play, but I noticed that I couldn't stop the songs from playing by pressing pause. I also noticed that when I would try to Home out of the mymedia folder (pressing Up or Home), it sometimes wouldn't work while a song was playing. Also, when a song or video wasn't playing, sometimes it would pop back into mymedia without any key presses.

Lastly, the mymedia icon shows up in my channel lineup, but not in My Channels in the Channels store. So, don't know how to remove the channel. And if you close the server while you're in the mymedia channel, you can't get out. You get stuck in the cannot retrieve media list page, and you can't get out. This strikes me as not a good thing.

I imagine that I need to go through this forum thread to find the info I need to avoid these problems. I hope.

I also have a Windows box I think I'll try setting up, too. That's the machine I use for most of my video work anyway.

All in all, this has been one of the funnest (scary beginning aside) new additions I've seen on the Roku, since I got my first Roku box.

Make sure you have the latest version. It sounds like some of the issues you're having are from older versions.

-JT

Thanks. I'll double check the install, especially on my new windows install, and make sure I have CacklingAdvocado.

Love the name, sounds like a band.

Later edit: JT, you had it in one. The newest release fixed all the problems I had. Really nice.

S
0 Kudos