Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert121571
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Another trick for youtube not shore if one is wrote for others yet incase download helper can't grab the mp4 from youtube is a greasemonkey script that adds a download link right on youtube for the mp4 file. You can read about it here.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"myplanet" wrote:
Feature Request:
El Wubo, It would be nice to have a "refresh" function. I may have several videos processing and going into my video folder. When I view a video, and then stop it, I can't see any new stop, unless I exit the video folder, and go back in. It then says "retrieving", and then can see new content.

I don't know if a timed refresh, or a button push (like the down button), then refresh is better, but either one might help.

It seems like having a refresh button wouldn't be significantly different than exiting and re-entering the folder. Using the down button for anything is not possible. Refreshing the list after a video is exited might be possible, I just have to wonder if it is worth the effort it would take. Right now, the content list for each level is built "on the way down" only and does not get refreshed as you move back up the hierarchy because it is saved as you move down and just redisplayed automatically as you move back up.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Have you tried rebooting the Roku DVP? Unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in.

-JT
Mult. times but, since i could not fathom a reason for the bizarre behavior I took the reset to an extreme and did a factory reset. That fixed the problem after I went back through all the set up and re-adding chs.

Now all is back to normal. I have no real idea what happened but everything is good and working normally.

I guess, when all else fails, "Start from the beginning" is the way to go. Even though that took me a bit of time to get my Roku back to where I had it I would have saved a LOT of time if, after the first power reset, I had just done a factory reset and taken the time to reinstall my chs on my Roku.

Trying to save time cost me time.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

Greetings

Last week there was some discussion about allowing users to "enter" their own stream sources into MyMedia.

I suggested an idea used on the Roku Soundbridge device where the user access a web based configuration screen where he can enter up to "n" pre-set channels. This could be expanded to a MyStreams option (right next to MyMusic, MyPhotos&MyVideos). On the Roku - the user could then select any of the users favorite stream sources.

I send Brian a screen shot before he went on vacation and also sent him my ideas on this.

After thinking about this a bit - it might make sense to make the entire MyMedia installation and configuration process web based.

The Roku user would access a MyMedia web page. Here he can download the server, python, any required libraries, obtain a Roku Code (if the channel is private) and enter all his server configuration data. The web code would then write out a local configuration file on the users server. As an additional tab on this web interface, the user could configure/maintain his MyStreams favorites adding/changing/deleting them as needed with the web page updating his local configuration file.

I am posting this as my web skills are not up to the task BUT there are many here that could pull this together easily

What do you think??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
myplanet
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Refreshing the list after a video is exited might be possible, I just have to wonder if it is worth the effort it would take. Right now, the content list for each level is built "on the way down" only and does not get refreshed as you move back up the hierarchy because it is saved as you move down and just redisplayed automatically as you move back up.

-JT

I think it would be a good thing if that is done. It's usually when I exit a video that I would like this. Can you add it to the list of feature request and decide later on weather to implement?
0 Kudos
renojim

I'm working on it now along with some of the other ideas that have been suggested in this thread. At some point I plan on going through the thread from the beginning to see what has been missed. We need a better method of tracking feature requests than just having them getting mentioned here and then getting buried in the thread. I must say that this channel has already far surpassed my personal needs.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
I took the reset to an extreme and did a factory reset. That fixed the problem after I went back through all the set up and re-adding chs.

Now all is back to normal. I have no real idea what happened but everything is good and working normally.

I guess, when all else fails, "Start from the beginning" is the way to go. Even though that took me a bit of time to get my Roku back to where I had it I would have saved a LOT of time if, after the first power reset, I had just done a factory reset and taken the time to reinstall my chs on my Roku.

Trying to save time cost me time.

Been there many times myself, not only wasting time trying to save time but in having to do a factory reset on the Roku. I don't know what happens to the Roku that a simple reboot doesn't fix, but sometimes it just seems necessary to do a factory reset.

-JT

0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I'm working on it now along with some of the other ideas that have been suggested in this thread. At some point I plan on going through the thread from the beginning to see what has been missed. We need a better method of tracking feature requests than just having them getting mentioned here and then getting buried in the thread. I must say that this channel has already far surpassed my personal needs.

-JT

Have you seen the preset web screen from the roku soundbridge? I can email you a screen shot of mine.

It would be a good model for pesonal favorite links
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
renojim

el.wubo started work on it before he left for vacation. You can find it here. I don't think it would be something I'd use, so I'd be interested in hearing/seeing what sort of links you're thinking of adding. Maybe I'm missing something.

Usage note: Once you've installed the localClient version, go to http://localhost:8001/ and click on "Personal Links" to add a link. You'll see a new "Server Playlist" on the main channel screen. Keep in mind this is a very early preview version.
-JT

0 Kudos
Saqqara
Visitor

instead of pasting the links, ideally (this would probably be very windows specific) you'd also be able to right click any media link in your pc browser and choose "play on roku." The channel would start (as it does or used to do during an install), and play the link immediately. This would be somewhat like having the Roku as a second monitor, without the tether. A right click menu "bookmark on roku" setting would also be desireable (same as the paste feature), and/or you could log a history .

Again, on the pc side, we need to test the link as much as possible to assure it is playable.

This could theoretically work for pics, mp3's, videos, internet radio. Maybe with some trickery, a powerpoint presentation.

Maybe this should be a separate channel on the Roku side, I'm just discussing it here because a: I love the open source development model and b) you already have a pc side presence.

For future use: live video streaming isn't in the roku sdk yet, but I'm wondering whether something like splitmedialabs.com's free VH Screen Capture Driver could be used with a dummy video driver as a second monitor, and then viewed on the roku to make the big screen tv a sort of sluggish second monitor.
0 Kudos