Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"mforan" wrote:
Re: audio bandwidth. I do have the G home LAN. Tunes that are really great source do sound great via Roku. Its probably just that weak source material is more noticeable over the big system rather than the computer. But, it led me to wonder, if I encode at CBR or VBR of 320 then that is what the Roku transmits?

I'm not sure what happens in the Roku hardware itself but your music is never downsampled before it gets there.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
Renojim is working on adding some configuration options to the channel so you can change things like the slideshow delay time. I expect that will be ready soon.

You got the first implementation of the "settings" screen, right? I should have a new feature ready to test sometime today. 😄

-JT

I just merged jim's new settings screen and theming fixes. Everything is looking really good and I'd say we're close to blessing the development line and calling it stable. Have any of the mac users out there managed to get PIL working?

The latest dev release is PhotoBrowsing2. It includes the new theming from umbighouse, numerous fixes and improvements from renojim, the new settings screen from renojim, and a couple of server side bug fixes.

Get yours here.

Running Photo2 now - no issues to report - looks good!! Love the config options as well.

Now I just have to go through my photo library and rotate all those sideways photos 🙂

Is it possible to implement a rotate/flip button on images or is that outside the capabilties of the Brightscript client (or the server)?

Dan
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

I haven't updated to the latest yet, haven't had the time to play with the photo slide show. I'm still trying to get my video library smoothed out. I have my videos folder with sub-folders of genres (action, horror, family, tv, etc) been working great except for the folder artwork. Is there a way to force the folder to have a particular image? You've done this for titles and their artwork, but for folders it seems to be pulling random images. I've tried naming the images to 0.jpg thinking it was taking the first image alphabetically, and that seems to semi-work. Is this something that is easily done? I have some genre specific folder art that I would like to force it to use.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"dellsweig" wrote:

Running Photo2 now - no issues to report - looks good!! Love the config options as well.

Now I just have to go through my photo library and rotate all those sideways photos 🙂

Is it possible to implement a rotate/flip button on images or is that outside the capabilties of the Brightscript client (or the server)?

Dan

It's outside of the capabilities of the Roku, but I suppose there could be a way to communicate back to the server to rotate the image and re-serve it. You'd have to talk to el.wubo about that. 😉 We haven't really done any client to server communications beyond the basic "give me a list of things to display/play/etc.".

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:

Dan

It's outside of the capabilities of the Roku, but I suppose there could be a way to communicate back to the server to rotate the image and re-serve it. You'd have to talk to el.wubo about that. 😉 We haven't really done any client to server communications beyond the basic "give me a list of things to display/play/etc.".

-JT

It's certainly possible. The question is it is broadly useful enough to do it here?

Another option is the server could read the EXIF tags in the photos and autorotate the ones that need it. Since most digital cameras save orientation information in the photo this should work for most users.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:

Dan

-JT

It's certainly possible. The question is it is broadly useful enough to do it here?

Another option is the server could read the EXIF tags in the photos and autorotate the ones that need it. Since most digital cameras save orientation information in the photo this should work for most users.

Then again I could just stop being lazy and fix all my photos myself 🙂
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

"mforan" wrote:
WRT music streaming I'm noticing that some tunes that sounded pretty good on my computer speakers are sounding weak over my house sound system. This got me to wondering, are there sound bit-rate, bandwidth, etc. limitations on the process of getting a song from my computer to my sound system?

How is the sound routed from your Roku DVP to the sound system? I ask because I have the audio going to the TV, then out to the sound system. My TV seems to have some volume compression/limiting going on, because often the first note of a song will be loud, then the volume suddenly drops. I hope there is a setting to turn that off, but I haven't checked yet. I think my previous TV called it "smart sound" or something, and it is meant to keep commercials from blaring out louder than program material.

A related question: Does anyone know if you can you use the analog audio outputs at the same time as HDMI out on the Roku?
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
Have any of the mac users out there managed to get PIL working?

I tried that terminal command you posted, but got an error. This is what happened:

Macintosh:~ eric$ sudo easy_install --find-links http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ Imaging
Password:
Searching for Imaging
Reading http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
Best match: Imaging 1.1.7
Downloading http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Processing Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Running Imaging-1.1.7/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-qujt_s/Imaging-1.1.7/egg-dist-tmp-TQ3HTj
--- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I'm not sure from that error message what file or directory is missing. Any insight?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Gcc is part of the developers tools osx package. When you install xcode and friends you will also get gcc.

If you don't mind installing xcode (it's on the osx dvd) then you can try the easy install command again and it will probably work.... long term we need to find a good pil binary distribution so that all our mac users don't have to install xcode.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"hammerpocket" wrote:
"mforan" wrote:
WRT music streaming I'm noticing that some tunes that sounded pretty good on my computer speakers are sounding weak over my house sound system. This got me to wondering, are there sound bit-rate, bandwidth, etc. limitations on the process of getting a song from my computer to my sound system?

How is the sound routed from your Roku DVP to the sound system? I ask because I have the audio going to the TV, then out to the sound system. My TV seems to have some volume compression/limiting going on, because often the first note of a song will be loud, then the volume suddenly drops. I hope there is a setting to turn that off, but I haven't checked yet. I think my previous TV called it "smart sound" or something, and it is meant to keep commercials from blaring out louder than program material.

A related question: Does anyone know if you can you use the analog audio outputs at the same time as HDMI out on the Roku?

My A/V system (Sony HT-CT100) has direct HDMI input from all components and outputs HDMI to the TV. All of my audio is handled via the HDMI interfaces.

I have used the analog audio outputs while using HDMI on my roku (Before I got the Sony) and this works just fine as well.
0 Kudos