Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alnames
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

This may have been brought up before, but would it be possible to use album art that's embedded in the mp3 files as well as external jpg files?
0 Kudos
hebertj0194
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
Speaking of encoding restrictions:

Does anyone feel like they've figured out the optimum procedure for encoding movies for the Roku? Want to put together a quick encoding HOWTO? Publish it however you like. Email it to me and I'll put it in the zip, blog it and I'll link, etc.

I find that using Handbrake with the AppleTV setting works great for me. However, need to make sure you are using only 1 audio channel. So delete the second channel, leave first as is, good to go!
0 Kudos
-LD
Visitor

"hebertj0194" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:

Does anyone feel like they've figured out the optimum procedure for encoding movies for the Roku? Want to put together a quick encoding HOWTO? Publish it however you like. Email it to me and I'll put it in the zip, blog it and I'll link, etc.

I find that using Handbrake with the AppleTV setting works great for me. However, need to make sure you are using only 1 audio channel. So delete the second channel, leave first as is, good to go!

I use Handbrake with the Universal setting. Unfortunately (for the Roku) I encode both a 5.1 track and an AAC track. When I do this, the Roku has no sound. The picture quality is also not particularly good, noticeably blocky on text, for example. This is not the case when playing the same file on a PC or AppleTV. Ignoring the audio issues (a deficiency in the Roku for now) the picture quality is simply not acceptable for a file that looks great on every other device it's played on.
0 Kudos
cmcnulty
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:

I also use Handbrake using the iPod setting plus checking web-streaming checkbox. In my case the quality seems to actually be better through the roku. It's only anecdotal, but watching the same file on my computer seemed to have more problems keeping the audio and video in sync.

I personally would love it if handbrake or some other open source encoder could be used directly by the server, ideally in a way that it could start streaming shortly after it started encoding. It takes my PC a good 5-10 minutes to encode a 45 minute long show, which would be a long time to wait if the server had to encode the whole thing first.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

cmcnulty, -LD, hebertj0194 and any others,

How long are the videos that you've encoded with Handbrake using the settings you've described? Any of them longer than 1 hour? What source are you encoding from? I've tried just about every setting in Handbrake, and all the movies (DVD/VIDEO_TS source) I've encoded begin rebuffering fairly frequently after the 1 hour mark. There are others out there that have reported this as well. Just wondering if any of you have found the illusive magic settings to fix this problem. I wish the Roku DVP wasn't so finicky and restrictive with its supported encode settings.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

I don't know for sure that this is the best method, but I've been ripping DVDs using DVDFab. I set everything to rip within the parameters of what will play on the Ruku. I've ripped about 6 DVDs so far, all of them full length movies. Four of the six have been fine, the other two have ended up with an audio/video sync issue by the end of the movie. None of them have done the frequent rebuffer though since I learned that I have to encode in Dolby Digital and not 5.1.
0 Kudos
-LD
Visitor

"DeftOne" wrote:

How long are the videos that you've encoded with Handbrake using the settings you've described? Any of them longer than 1 hour? What source are you encoding from? I've tried just about every setting in Handbrake, and all the movies (DVD/VIDEO_TS source) I've encoded begin rebuffering fairly frequently after the 1 hour mark. There are others out there that have reported this as well. Just wondering if any of you have found the illusive magic settings to fix this problem. I wish the Roku DVP wasn't so finicky and restrictive with its supported encode settings.

Mine are all longer than an hour, most 2 or more. However, I haven't watched them because they have no sound on the Roku 🙂
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Early Development Preview

If you've been itching to install a new version here's an early preview of what we've been working on.

What to expect:
* BUGS! (report them)
* Theming isn't finished yet (umbighouse is on it!)
* Photo browsing and slideshow (thanks renojim)
* Audio pausing (thanks renojim)
* Fixed bugs related to Home button (thanks renojim)
* Better feedback while the channel is loading data from the server (thanks renojim)
* MP3's with embedded album art will now display the art
* Server-side image thumbnails, leading to faster channel browsing (see below)

Installation:
* Stop your current server (verify by pressing alt+ctrl+delete and stopping python in the processes tab)
* Download and install the Python Imaging Library (PIL, see below) for windows or linux and mac.
* Download and extract the new zip to a new location
* Copy your config.ini file from old_installation/server/config.ini to new_installation/server/config.ini to maintain your current settings
* Start springboard, configure your image folder, click install client
* Start the server

Python Imaging Library
In order to make personal image browsing a reality we must be able to resize images of many formats on demand. I've added the Python Imaging Library (PIL) as a requirement because it enables the server to load and manipulate most popular image formats. The channel will still work without PIL but it will pass the Roku full sized images (not thumbnails) and you can expect slow performance from your photo collection.

Known Bugs:
* My Photos uses My Videos icon and theming not correct on My Photos page
* Horrible photo browsing performance if PIL is not installed (not really a bug, but something you should be aware of)
* Slightly worse load times for big music collections (expect this to improve soon)

Let the bug reports begin.

Note: This isn't release quality yet. It's for the brave and industrious... those willing to troubleshoot through quite a few bugs and issues.

EDIT: Fixed renojim's nick (called him rokujim... oops)
EDIT: Formatting, known bugs, installation procedure
EDIT: Fixed PIL non-windows link
EDIT: More features from renojim, pil instructions for mac and linux
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Early Development Bug Report for el.wubo...

Music
It doesn't show any of my music! I get the Media List Problem message. My media path is correct (same as before). It shows the music folder and the lettered folders, but the Media List problem shows up when you enter the lettered folders.

I checked my feed page and it looks like it is looking for some kind of jpg file?
http://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx/feed?range=ab&key=music&dir=C:\Users\xxxx\Music\.\Folder.jpg

Compare it to a same level folder in the video and photo file...
http://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx/feed?key=video&dir=Movies
http://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx/feed?key=photo&dir=Backgrounds

Video
1. My m4v videos play fine. I can pause/ff/rewind and all that. The videos I have are only a couple of minutes long, so I can't say anything about longers vids.
2. It recognizes my wmv videos although it won't play them. It shows them using the my music icon, but it doesn't do anything when you click on them.

Pictures*
1. My Photos picture doesn't show correctly. Most of it is just a gray, only the top is yellow.
2. No images for the subfolders.
3. Navigation is extremely slow.
4. It shows png and gif images, but not jpg (it says image not available). The file is there with the file name, but the image does not show.
5. Loading of pictures is extremely slow. The smaller images eventually show, but my larger images never did (it says retrieving image, but it never shows) or showed up with gray areas on them. Eventually my top folders (my music, my video, my photos) started to show with gray area too.
7. They all show up on the feed page (gif, png, jpg).

*I installed the python imaging library as directed.

I think that the imaging library has something to do with the images showing up gray. After I deleted the early adopter and reinstalled my older channel the top folders are still gray.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"DeftOne" wrote:

I know this thread has become pretty long, but try this from several pages back:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25955&p=160957#p160957

I thought I had foolproof HandBreak settings, but lately I've been having problems with audio sync issues.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos