Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
I have the same problem. Having the server generate the thumbnails on the fly is definitely the most convenient way to tackle this and is what I'd like to do. I've actually got a bit of test code on my machine doing just that but it's not ready for prime time just yet. Hopefully soon! I'd say in a week or so that should be available.

That will come in handy for photo support as well.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"czarjosh" wrote:
For Mac OSX users I typed up the steps and put them on my blog

http://joshferris.com/2010/02/21/local-media-on-your-roku/

Thank you for your contribution to mac users. I've added a link to your blog article in the first post of this thread and in the README. I've used your handle for all attribution. Let me know if you'd like something different.
0 Kudos
intersys
Visitor

el.wubo:

thanks - that sort of worked. The log was written out to a file. There were no errors in the log file, but I did get the error screen on the Roku box - saying it couldn't connect and retry. I'm thinking that there may be either a timeout problem or a buffering problem as the media library is 72gb of mp3's, including several subfolders.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions.

-steve

"el.wubo" wrote:

Well, 🙂 that was a long one.

Your line 130 reported in that file is different from the line 130 in the latest version. Best I can tell it's complaining because it's trying to print to standard out but standard out has been closed. If this is actually the problem I'm a bit surprised that we're only seeing it just now. I've updated the latest version to log it's output to my_media_log.txt instead of printing it to the screen. I really should have done this from the beginning but your issue inspired me to do it now.

Please download the latest version, make absolutely sure you've stopped your old server (press alt+ctrl+delete and look for python in the processes tab) and then start up the new one and let me know if you have trouble. You can send me an email (look in the readme for my address) with the backtrace if it's lengthy.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

🙂 Count me in among the 1% too... It feels nice to be special LOL... I ended up just uplugging the unit and letting it reboot.. no biggie

"renojim" wrote:
"hammerpocket" wrote:
I noticed an undesirable behavior tonight. For whatever reason (maybe my computer was asleep), My Media couldn't connect to the server, so it brought up the error screen. The only choices are to manually enter the IP address (which was already correct) or try again -- there is no way to cancel or back out. I clicked to try again, but that didn't work. The only thing I could think of was to press the home button, which did work to get me out of that error screen. However, as I was navigating through the other channels I kept being taken back to the My Media error screen after 2-3 seconds. I finally had to just quickly choose a random channel get out of the loop.

BTW, I'm using a602ef2.

That's funny! When I implemented the error screen I knew that was a possibility. I figured 99% of the time one of those two choices would suffice. I guess you're the 1%. 😄 I'm a little surprised you kept getting the error screen popping up. I'll look into adding a cancel option that kicks you out of the mymedia channel.

-JT
0 Kudos
myplanet
Visitor

Please add support for .mov files. I downloaded a podcast via itunes. It was a .mov file. The media channel could not see the file or play it. After changing the extension to .mp4, it worked. I could see and play the video.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"myplanet" wrote:
Please add support for .mov files. I downloaded a podcast via itunes. It was a .mov file. The media channel could not see the file or play it. After changing the extension to .mp4, it worked. I could see and play the video.

Thanks for the report. renojim looked into the documentation and found that this is actually expected behavior (I was surprised) so we'll be serving up mov's as mp4's later tonight. I'd do it right now but I don't have access to my Roku to test.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"intersys" wrote:
el.wubo:

thanks - that sort of worked. The log was written out to a file. There were no errors in the log file, but I did get the error screen on the Roku box - saying it couldn't connect and retry. I'm thinking that there may be either a timeout problem or a buffering problem as the media library is 72gb of mp3's, including several subfolders.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions.

Can you give an rough estimate of the number of direct subfolders your Music folder has? I'd expect to be able to enumerate the folders (and search for a bit of album art) in even a collection that big within the timeout -- but maybe I'm being naive.
0 Kudos
intersys
Visitor

El.Wubo:

There are 203 direct subfolders under the music folder. Some of the sub-folders have sub-folders as well. The my_media_log.txt file appears clean.

Thanks for your efforts in this,
steve

"el.wubo" wrote:

Can you give an rough estimate of the number of direct subfolders your Music folder has? I'd expect to be able to enumerate the folders (and search for a bit of album art) in even a collection that big within the timeout -- but maybe I'm being naive.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"myplanet" wrote:

Thanks for the report. renojim looked into the documentation and found that this is actually expected behavior (I was surprised) so we'll be serving up mov's as mp4's later tonight. I'd do it right now but I don't have access to my Roku to test.

The latest version now recognizes .mov files in your video folder as well. The usual encoding restrictions apply.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Speaking of encoding restrictions:

Does anyone feel like they've figured out the optimum procedure for encoding movies for the Roku? Want to put together a quick encoding HOWTO? Publish it however you like. Email it to me and I'll put it in the zip, blog it and I'll link, etc.
0 Kudos