Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashes00
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Absolutely Thanks for all your work on this el.wubo! It is really appreciated!

-Ash
0 Kudos
intersys
Visitor

Thanks for all of the work on this.

I was able to install and get the My Video folder working perfectly
The music folder however does not work

<type 'exceptions.IOError'> at /feed
(9, 'Bad file descriptor')
Python D:\Downloads\netguy204-roku_media_server-a602ef2\netguy204-roku_media_server-a602ef2\server\rss_server.py in file2item, line 130
Web GET http://192.168.1.253:8001/feed

The only file-type in the folder is mp3

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Feature Request --

It would be nice to be able to hit the play button at the folder level and let system start playing sequentially through the sub-folders.. I have 3 eagles albums and I just want to be at the parent eagles folder and hit play and let the system work through all 3 albums.. Does that make sense?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"intersys" wrote:
Thanks for all of the work on this.

I was able to install and get the My Video folder working perfectly
The music folder however does not work

<type 'exceptions.IOError'> at /feed
(9, 'Bad file descriptor')
Python D:\Downloads\netguy204-roku_media_server-a602ef2\netguy204-roku_media_server-a602ef2\server\rss_server.py in file2item, line 130
Web GET http://192.168.1.253:8001/feed

The only file-type in the folder is mp3

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the great error report. Backtraces like this are always appreciated and help tremendously with debugging.

Make sure you've got your Music path correct and make sure the path is absolute. In windows an absolute path starts with a drive letter. In mac or linux an absolute path starts with /

I've made a modification to the latest version to detect the one condition that looks like it could cause the backtrace you sent. Try downloading the latest version (using the link you used before) and if you see any lines in the log saying "WARNING..." then let me know.
0 Kudos
jaredsubman
Visitor

it would be great if there was any way it would be possible to do video transcoding on-the-fly. It would seem that this should be possible but I've had no luck at all getting it to work with VideoLan regardless of what options I put in. Also, It's very time-consuming to have to re-encode the videos, so for the time being, I'm continuing to use a Hauppauge MediaMVP (see http://www.mvpmc.org/, another excellent open-source project), however if this project winds up having this feature, it would allow me to completely get rid of my MVP (which I've wanted to do for years) and increase the WAF factor of my home theatre setup. So can anybody think of how this might be possible?
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

Re: Symbolic links?

"el.wubo" wrote:
"hammerpocket" wrote:
On OS X I tried using an alias to a media folder I didn't want to move into my designated MyMedia folder. It doesn't show up in the Roku client interface. Would a symbolic link work? (I'm not a CLI guy so I'm asking before figuring out how to do it.)

I use symlinks on Linux for that and it works great. Any idea what's different about aliases?

Apparently symlinks work in the GUI, but aliases don't work from the command line. Aliases are nice in some situations because you can move or rename the original file and the alias will still point to it.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"buaboo" wrote:
Feature Request --

It would be nice to be able to hit the play button at the folder level and let system start playing sequentially through the sub-folders.. I have 3 eagles albums and I just want to be at the parent eagles folder and hit play and let the system work through all 3 albums.. Does that make sense?

As the guy looking into the Play/Pause issue, I've discovered a problem with any ideas using the Play button: it doesn't get sent to the client app while displaying the folder view (Poster Screen in Roku parlance). I'm still looking into it, but I'm not hopeful.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:

As the guy looking into the Play/Pause issue, I've discovered a problem with any ideas using the Play button: it doesn't get sent to the client app while displaying the folder view (Poster Screen in Roku parlance). I'm still looking into it, but I'm not hopeful.

-JT

We could drop down into a new view when a song is selected. Does roSpringboard (a type of layout on the roku... not to be confused with our installer) capture play button presses? Of course, if we do that then we can just make Pause/Resume into menu options if the play button is still uncatchable.

"buaboo" wrote:
Feature Request --

What if you were able to start playing in one folder and instead of looping forever in that folder it would transition to the next one from the folder above? This way you pick a song from your first eagles album and it would move through to the next eagles album when it hit the end of the folder.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:

-JT

We could drop down into a new view when a song is selected. Does roSpringboard (a type of layout on the roku... not to be confused with our installer) capture play button presses? Of course, if we do that then we can just make Pause/Resume into menu options if the play button is still uncatchable.

"buaboo" wrote:
Feature Request --

What if you were able to start playing in one folder and instead of looping forever in that folder it would transition to the next one from the folder above? This way you pick a song from your first eagles album and it would move through to the next eagles album when it hit the end of the folder.

I dont know if this might help but while watching a Netflix movie - if you press the select button (middle button) on the remote - it pauses the movie. Pressing it again resumes the movie.

Is that key treated differently?
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"el.wubo" wrote:

Yes, and that may be what we'll have to do if want pause functionality. It would change the "feel" of the channel quite a bit, though. I don't think you could browse your music collection while you're playing music. If you left the Springboard screen, I suppose you could go back into browse mode, but then you wouldn't be able to pause anymore. I suppose I could whip something up and let people comment on it. This would be so much easier if all of the remote buttons always got sent to the app.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos