Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umbighouse
Visitor

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

I've fixed the graphics "jitter" issue when switching between My Media <-> My Videos. el.wubo has them and they should be in the next release.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"umbighouse" wrote:
I've fixed the graphics "jitter" issue when switching between My Media <-> My Videos. el.wubo has them and they should be in the next release.

These new images are in and the root menu (where you pick between music or video) now uses the appropriate graphics.

This is a channel and server change so make sure you stop your server and reinstall the client. Thanks!

Download from the usual place: http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... ves/master
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"xanstarchild" wrote:

My main issue is around playing video purchased via iTunes, which I believe was brought up before but I lost track of where that was at in this lengthy thread. I seem to recall someone saying it had something to do with some important whatzit that may be imbedded at the end of the file rather than the header... is that right? Or is this a DRM issue or what? I guess the real question does anyone have any ideas or plans on making these files work?

All video content I've ripped seems to works fine, although I haven't watched a full 2 hour film to the end as of yet.

I don't think we've discussed video from iTunes but we did talk about audio from iTunes. In both cases if the files are DRM free then you can either play them directly (if they're mp3 or wma for audio or mp4/aac for video) or convert them into the appropriate format. The "metadata at the end" conversation concluded with an update to this software that made that much less of an issue.

I'm not sure what format the iTunes video is distributed in but the basic workflow will always be:

* If there's DRM, remove it (but make sure you understand the legal issues related to this in your country and don't do anything illegal)
* If it's not in mp4/aac use some tool to convert it (handbrake has been working great)
* Put it in your Video folder and the Roku should play it

Regardless of the store it boils down to the same issue: If the vender uses DRM you "can't" play it anywhere but where they intended you. I say "can't" because every DRM format eventually gets cracked and someone releases a tool to remove the DRM restrictions and make the music or video able to be converted into something your Roku can handle. The current laws regarding digital media in the United States make it illegal (or at least gray) to distributed these sorts of tools and as such the main distribution of this player will not include them until the legal situation in the US allows it.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"xanstarchild" wrote:

My main issue is around playing video purchased via iTunes, which I believe was brought up before but I lost track of where that was at in this lengthy thread. I seem to recall someone saying it had something to do with some important whatzit that may be imbedded at the end of the file rather than the header... is that right? Or is this a DRM issue or what? I guess the real question does anyone have any ideas or plans on making these files work?

All video content I've ripped seems to works fine, although I haven't watched a full 2 hour film to the end as of yet.

I don't think we've discussed video from iTunes but we did talk about audio from iTunes. In both cases if the files are DRM free then you can either play them directly (if they're mp3 or wma for audio or mp4/aac for video) or convert them into the appropriate format. The "metadata at the end" conversation concluded with an update to this software that made that much less of an issue.

I'm not sure what format the iTunes video is distributed in but the basic workflow will always be:

* If there's DRM, remove it (but make sure you understand the legal issues related to this in your country and don't do anything illegal)
* If it's not in mp4/aac use some tool to convert it (handbrake has been working great)
* Put it in your Video folder and the Roku should play it

Regardless of the store it boils down to the same issue: If the vender uses DRM you "can't" play it anywhere but where they intended you. I say "can't" because every DRM format eventually gets cracked and someone releases a tool to remove the DRM restrictions and make the music or video able to be converted into something your Roku can handle. The current laws regarding digital media in the United States make it illegal (or at least gray) to distributed these sorts of tools and as such the main distribution of this player will not include them until the legal situation in the US allows it.

El Wubo

Well - its official - your MyMedia project officially passed the "wife test". I showed her the channel and how easy it was to play music or look at stored videos. Her only question was "When can I look at our Photo Collection" 🙂

I also started playing with handbrake to convert some test videos and will be trying a ripped DVD later today. I have to laugh when you talk about DRM... I still use the method created by the 15 year old kid for breaking the algorythm. Its funny we hae to talk about warnings, etc when we are talking about video files for our own personal use - ones that we have already paid for (in most cases ) 🙂

Let me know if you need a tester for the Photo viewer when its ready (myPhotos)

Dan
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I am still in a quest to run the python process for this in the background. I am not an expert in linux so I am trying to find the simplest way to do this. I attempted to make changes in Init.d stuff and destroyed a NAS (ooppss 🙂 ).
To manually start the server, I would telnet into the NAS, change the dir to where I put the server code and then execute /opt/bin/python2.6 ./rss_server.py This works just fine, but obviously a pain in the rear. I recently learned that if I put '&' at the end of the command it will spawn a process. So I executed '/opt/bin/python2.6 ./rss_server.py >> out.txt & ' . It did start a background process and when I went into Roku and started the client and everything worked, but what i noticed was some minimul stuff appeared on the telnet screen (I don't have the exact text right now.. something like '/media 200 -- ok') . So I closed the telnet session and the roku client stopped working. I started a new telnet session and did a ps and the process was still there... I killed the process and reexecuted the above command and everything worked. So it seems that I need to keep the telnet session up event through I am redirectly all output and started the background process.

So the question is, how can I fix this... I don't mind doing something manual to start a background process since I don't reboot my nas and I don't mind manually restarting the background process if I do reboot the nas... I am just fearful of bricking my NAS :)...
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"buaboo" wrote:
I am still in a quest to run the python process for this in the background. I am not an expert in linux so I am trying to find the simplest way to do this. I attempted to make changes in Init.d stuff and destroyed a NAS (ooppss 🙂 ).
To manually start the server, I would telnet into the NAS, change the dir to where I put the server code and then execute /opt/bin/python2.6 ./rss_server.py This works just fine, but obviously a pain in the rear. I recently learned that if I put '&' at the end of the command it will spawn a process. So I executed '/opt/bin/python2.6 ./rss_server.py >> out.txt & ' . It did start a background process and when I went into Roku and started the client and everything worked, but what i noticed was some minimul stuff appeared on the telnet screen (I don't have the exact text right now.. something like '/media 200 -- ok') . So I closed the telnet session and the roku client stopped working. I started a new telnet session and did a ps and the process was still there... I killed the process and reexecuted the above command and everything worked. So it seems that I need to keep the telnet session up event through I am redirectly all output and started the background process.

So the question is, how can I fix this... I don't mind doing something manual to start a background process since I don't reboot my nas and I don't mind manually restarting the background process if I do reboot the nas... I am just fearful of bricking my NAS :)...

You need to re-direct stderr and stdout in the command. Depending on your shell - this will work

/opt/bin/python2.6 /full_path_to_server/rss_server.py >> /tmp/out.txt 2>&1
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

AWESOME!!!!!! Thank you.. I had to modify the command ever so slightly, but it works!!!

/opt/bin/python2.6 /full_path_to_server/rss_server.py >> /tmp/out.txt 2>&1 &

This might be a good addition to the FAQ for us novice folks..

"dellsweig" wrote:

You need to re-direct stderr and stdout in the command. Depending on your shell - this will work

/opt/bin/python2.6 /full_path_to_server/rss_server.py >> /tmp/out.txt 2>&1
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

You might also want to put "nohup" at the start of the command so it doesn't get killed if you log out.

--Mark
0 Kudos
duanewilliams
Reel Rookie

How does one get rid of the mymedia icon from the channel list?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"duanewilliams" wrote:
How does one get rid of the mymedia icon from the channel list?

Put the ip address of the roku into the address bar of your browser to get to the developer web interface. There's a delete button there that will remove the channel.
0 Kudos