Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

umbighouse:

It's safe to hang on to your previous config.ini. Springboard will add anything it needs to that file.

The current channel logic for folders regardless of contents:
If there's an image in the folder, use that image for the folder's icon. If there are many images, pick one.

The channel logic for files is:
If the file is a video and there's a same-named image file, use that.
Otherwise, if the folder contains an image, use that. If it contains multiple images, pick one.
Otherwise, if it's audio use the "My Music" icon and if it's video use the "My Video" icon

I'm working through the last of the graphics fixes. Here's my target:
Channel icon changed to "MyMedia"
Root menu (displaying "Music" and "Videos") gets a banner of "MyMedia"
Music folder and all subfolders gets a banner of "MyMusic"
Video folder and all subfolders gets a banner of "MyVideos"

Am I on target with your intentions?
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

The current channel logic for folders regardless of contents:
If there's an image in the folder, use that image for the folder's icon. If there are many images, pick one.

The channel logic for files is:
If the file is a video and there's a same-named image file, use that.
Otherwise, if the folder contains an image, use that. If it contains multiple images, pick one.
Otherwise, if it's audio use the "My Music" icon and if it's video use the "My Video" icon

Not sure if it's working like this for music folders w/o album art. For the music album folder with no album art, it's showing the generic yellow folder graphic.
It appears to work like this for video files & folders though.

I'm working through the last of the graphics fixes. Here's my target:
Channel icon changed to "MyMedia"
Root menu (displaying "Music" and "Videos") gets a banner of "MyMedia"
Music folder and all subfolders gets a banner of "MyMusic"
Video folder and all subfolders gets a banner of "MyVideos"

Am I on target with your intentions?

Yes- that sounds right.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

I've just pushed an update with some of the graphics fixes we've been discussing.

umbighouse, how does this look from your perspective?

Still missing is using the specific music and video icons on the root menu. I'll get that soon.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

Ok, I haven't messed with this for a few days. Today I downloaded the newest version and tried to play a video. The video shows up in "My videos", but when I play it, I get video but no audio. It also rebuffered about 10 seconds in and got stuck on the rebuffer at about 95% for about a minute. It started playing again for about 5 seconds but the title and rebuffer bar never went off the screen. Then the screen went black and my Roku rebooted. ???
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"czarjosh" wrote:
I am using OSX. I ran the python script and got mymedia to show up on my roku. I entered the ip of my mac into the server address and I get two folders one for videos and one for music. However when I click them Ion the folders I get a cannot retrieve media list error. Any thoughts?

Make sure the the address paths for both the folders are correct! Just delete everything and put it back in by hand.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

"czarjosh" wrote:
Make sure the the address paths for both the folders are correct! Just delete everything and put it back in by hand.

What I have is

/Users/macbook/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Is that correct? or it it better to use

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

You need the full path starting with the drive.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

Ok, I got my videos working. Very cool! What is the best format to rip to that will be compatible with the Roku? I just don't want to rip a bunch of movies only to find out later that I could have a higher quality stream if I rip to another format. Also, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I remember when I was messing around with MythTV a while ago that it would pull all of the movie info from IMDB and show it as you were scrolling through your videos. It could also pull in the movie poster and display it as the icon for whichever movie you were selecting. Would it be possible to do something like that here?
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

My input on the graphics...

Home screen looks good with the My Media icon. Any thoughts about renaming this channel to My Media instead of Music Player?

Clicking this icon then shows Music and Video. Any thoughts about changing these to My Music and My Videos?
Also, can these icons use the square My Music and My Videos graphics?

Inside the music folders, for a folder that has no album art, it's showing the generic folder icon. Isn't this supposed to show the square My Music icon or is this by design?

Top banner graphics look good.

There is a slight "jitter" on the top banner icons when you switch from My Media to My Videos. I will try to adjust the My Video graphic to be slightly larger, however, it may need to wait a little while as I am heading out of town tomorrow.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

Just thought I'd report an interesting fact. I ripped a couple DVDs today and one played fine and one rebuffered every 5 seconds, got hung up, and had no audio. I couldn't figure out what I had done differently, but I finally figured it out. The one that wouldn't play had been encoded with a 5.1 audio track. When I changed the encode to a Dolby Digital track everything works beautifully.
0 Kudos
xanstarchild
Visitor

First off, thanks el.wubo for all your hard work... this is great. And good to see others join in on the development as well.

I'm using OSX and things have been working pretty darn well so far.

My main issue is around playing video purchased via iTunes, which I believe was brought up before but I lost track of where that was at in this lengthy thread. I seem to recall someone saying it had something to do with some important whatzit that may be imbedded at the end of the file rather than the header... is that right? Or is this a DRM issue or what? I guess the real question does anyone have any ideas or plans on making these files work?

All video content I've ripped seems to works fine, although I haven't watched a full 2 hour film to the end as of yet.
0 Kudos