Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Nope... No chkstat. It looks like chkstat does things with permissions. I did do chmod 777 on the file so I think it is execute for everyone. I modified the script so the output would go to log.txt... I am able to execute the script and it did create the log file, it looks like a portion if bring created but it doesn't seem to stay active...

"dellsweig" wrote:
"buaboo" wrote:
I have Maxtor which is running a version of freenas.. Not sure if that helps or not..

I tried doing chkstat -add at command line and it said it was not found.

"dellsweig" wrote:
"buaboo" wrote:
Onecaribu is trying to help me offline on this issue, but I thought I would post it here so I don't keep bothering one person.

I am trying to modify the init.d so I can start rs_serve.py automatically when the NAS reboots. I created the below script which works when I execute it manually, but I can't seem to get it to work automagically (I did do a chmod 777 on the script)

chdir /share/Public/media
/opt/bin/python2.6 ./rss_server.py


I placed this script called it pythstart in /share/Public/media (where the rss_server.py is...

Any thoughts?


Depending on the version on Linux running on your NAS - you may have to do a :

chkstat -add

You distro may vary


look in /usr/sbin - that may not be in your path.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Forgive my ignorance of what's involved on the programming side of this, but are we anywhere close to being able to launch a basic video channel? Even if we have to transcode any videos to an acceptable format for the Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I am not sure what u mean by video channel, but I have modified the sample video code to stream my collection of movies to roku. It's not the most elegent, but I am fine with it w/o having to code much.

"calicommando" wrote:
Forgive my ignorance of what's involved on the programming side of this, but are we anywhere close to being able to launch a basic video channel? Even if we have to transcode any videos to an acceptable format for the Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"buaboo" wrote:
I am not sure what u mean by video channel, but I have modified the sample video code to stream my collection of movies to roku. It's not the most elegent, but I am fine with it w/o having to code much.

"calicommando" wrote:
Forgive my ignorance of what's involved on the programming side of this, but are we anywhere close to being able to launch a basic video channel? Even if we have to transcode any videos to an acceptable format for the Roku.


That is what I mean. Do you have something that you'd be willing to share that is somewhat basic as far as being able to get it running.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

basic video playback

The quick and dirty hack that I've used to get video working is as follows, though, it doesn't currently integrate very nicely with this application:

1) Convert Divx and or other movies to AAC with Handbrake using the "Ipod Legacy" preset.
2) Setup (or use an existing) Apache server.
3) Upload a slightly modified version of "simplevideoplayer" from the SDK by changing the urls to point to my Apache internal website file location.

Specifically, for example,

line 132 of appMain.brs would look something like this:
urls = ["http://192.168.15.3/file.mp4"]

where 192.168.15.3 is the Apache IP. and "file.mp4" is the name of the file you had encoded by handbrake.

4) "make" simplevideoplayer and upload the simplevideoplayer.zip by pointing a web browser to the IP of the Roku server by entering development mode as described by the SDK.

So the idea would be to simplify this process and make it integrate with elwubo's application and avoid having to constantly swap out the two apps and having to run an Apache server which I'm currently doing....
The good news is that the proof of concept has worked quite nicely and video can play quite nicely via the method described above...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Thanks jaredsubman for the initial research and crack at this. I'm starting in on adding support to the channel and server tonight. If all goes as planned we could have initial support sometime tomorrow night or Tuesday (that's my goal.)

Handbrake seems like a great utility for doing the conversion and it's convenient that the Ipod Legacy preset matches the Roku so well. Start converting now so you'll have something to test when support is rolled out.

Now.. scrolling back through the forum:

buaboo:

Open another script in the /etc/init.d directory and make sure your script looks similar. Typically init.d scripts need to respond to a couple of arguments (start, stop, restart) and some distributions enforce a distro specific header. Make your script look like another script in init.d and you should be good to go.

DeftOne:

Yeah... you've discovered that little hack. I'm not sure if it's a feature or a bug either. I guess it's a feature in that I anticipated it. It's a side-effect of how my song cycling logic works. I agree with your description of how song cycling should work and will revisit that logic at some point after video support.

Dellsweig:

I haven't forgotten your directory depth problem. Still no progress on that front. I'll try to get you something new to test soon.


All:

Thank you for your enthusiastic support and for sharing what you've learned. You all make this a lot of fun to work on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
Thanks jaredsubman for the initial research and crack at this. I'm starting in on adding support to the channel and server tonight. If all goes as planned we could have initial support sometime tomorrow night or Tuesday (that's my goal.)

Handbrake seems like a great utility for doing the conversion and it's convenient that the Ipod Legacy preset matches the Roku so well. Start converting now so you'll have something to test when support is rolled out.

Now.. scrolling back through the forum:

buaboo:

Open another script in the /etc/init.d directory and make sure your script looks similar. Typically init.d scripts need to respond to a couple of arguments (start, stop, restart) and some distributions enforce a distro specific header. Make your script look like another script in init.d and you should be good to go.

DeftOne:

Yeah... you've discovered that little hack. I'm not sure if it's a feature or a bug either. I guess it's a feature in that I anticipated it. It's a side-effect of how my song cycling logic works. I agree with your description of how song cycling should work and will revisit that logic at some point after video support.

Dellsweig:

I haven't forgotten your directory depth problem. Still no progress on that front. I'll try to get you something new to test soon.


All:

Thank you for your enthusiastic support and for sharing what you've learned. You all make this a lot of fun to work on.


Thank YOU!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Does anyone know a good decrypter that will work with a 64-bit OS? Handbrake won't work alone will it? Also, if we rip for the iPod format, doesn't that reduce the resolution? Is there not a better solution where we can maintain resolution and have the correct settings?
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

el.wubo - I finaly got it installed, and I must say congrats to you, umbighouse, and the others. I have been following you guys for a while on this endevor (from original thread). I am very impressed, as it worked great. I have a NAS with about 15 gis of music. It takes a while to access the folders, but thats becuase i have so many titles. I do like that you guys plan on adding a shuffle function, as i have a few songs in each folder, and have to bounce to another folder to listen to another song. NICELY DONE. I will stay tuned for new featuers.

-Ash
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
DeftOne:

Yeah... you've discovered that little hack. I'm not sure if it's a feature or a bug either. I guess it's a feature in that I anticipated it. It's a side-effect of how my song cycling logic works. I agree with your description of how song cycling should work and will revisit that logic at some point after video support.

Good to know that it is intended behavior, or at the very least, not unexpected. If the playback behavior I described is not possible or prohibitively difficult to implement, I'll certainly understand if the current logic is maintained. It's definitely not a deal-breaker, since the channel overall is absolutely fantastic.

Keep up the good work, my friend. Smiley Happy
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos