Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onecaribou
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
That's so cool! What a great device to use as a personal media center. I'm excited that it worked!

"buaboo" wrote:
I sent onecaribou a PM ... I have the Maxtor Central Axis NAS. can someone give me basic guidance on how to get this working on a NAS.

buaboo - I sent you a preliminary doc I've been working on on how to set up MyMusic on a NAS. I'm going to clean it up and share here as well.

"el.wubo" wrote:
Album art is only displayed for albums that contain a .jpg or .png of the art in the same folder as the mp3s. Did the albums you expected to see art for have this?

Gotcha - I had thought the app might do a lookup to freedb or last.fm.

-
"el.wubo" wrote:
I like the idea of a high level view. Maybe when there are many items (> 30) the player could let you pick from (A - J ), (K - Z) or whatever partitioning
scheme makes sense for your collection. I'll give that some more thought.

installing newest rev now.. woot!

Thanks again for your hard work el.wubo - the app is really growing up fast!
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

onecaribou:

When you post that doc I'll put a copy in the main distribution as well.

If you want to try out the (somewhat broken) large collection navigation support you can grab it here: http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... /partition -- as mentioned before, the paint is still wet. Only folders that start with a letter in the english alphabet will be visible.
0 Kudos
onecaribou
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
When you post that doc I'll put a copy in the main distribution as well.

I'll definitely send you a copy of the doc once it's a little further along.

"el.wubo" wrote:
If you want to try out the (somewhat broken) large collection navigation support..

Thanks! I'll check it our and let you know if I see any issues.
0 Kudos
wizzy1291
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
wizzy1291:

Good catch! I'd like to fix this. If you go to the album that has special characters using your browser and click on the song does it play?

I'm trying to figure out if the Roku just can't handle it or if it's something at the server.

I just tried it out and the answer is "that the songs will not play through a browser. In fact, you cannot even access a folder that has a single song with a non-standard English character.

IE displays an error about DTDs. (The web interface doesn't work at all with Chrome).
0 Kudos
wizzy1291
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
wizzy1291:

On the Artist Name/Album/Track request: What happens right now is that when the player cycles to the next song it highlights the currently playing song and displays the song name and the artist underneath. Is that what you see? For WMA's I don't extract the metadata yet (haven't figured out how to) so all you'll see for those is the file name.

What's your ideal scenario for displaying this information?

Ideally I think artist, album, and song would display.

BTW, I am running the new version with the partitions. I love the alphabetical partitions.

I also like that songs do not stop playing until you actually push play on a new track. Nice.
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Through onecaribu's help I was able to get most of this to work. I am able to see the folders and songs. But, when I click on the song, it won't play anything. I can see the request coming through but the Roku won't play anything.. any thoughts?

I have pointed my browser to the the server and I am able to play a song. If that helps..

Also, is my understanding correct that if I have a folder with multiple song that I will have manually advance from song to song or will the automatically go to next song when the one you are listening to ends?

This is pretty COOL!!! thank you
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Non-english characters: Our support is somewhat improved. You should now be able to navigate to folders with non-english characters in the song names though the songs with non-english characters may not display properly due to a bug in the ID3 library I'm using. I'll look into that and fix it if I can.

buaboo:

Excellent. Glad you're making progress.

Can you telnet to port 8085 of your Roku and send me what you see there?

The player will automatically loop through every song in a folder indefinitely. You only need to manually intervene if you want to start playing songs in a different folder.
0 Kudos
srankin
Visitor

OT: SDK forum

Should this be moved to or mirrored to the SDK forum?
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

need some help

Installed Python 3.1.1 on my Windows Vista Ultimate box.

Downloaded and installed the media server, opened firewall port 8001, installed the server and launched the server. Python is running

On my Roku - I see the new channel - when I launch it - it just hangs retrieving data.

I launched the server in debug mode - here is the trace

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\server\web\application.py", l
ine 242, in process
return self.handle()
ine 233, in handle
return self._delegate(fn, self.fvars, args)
ine 412, in _delegate
return handle_class(cls)
ine 387, in handle_class
return tocall(*args)
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\server\rss_server.py", line 2
98, in GET
return getdoc(config.get("config", 'music_dir'), config).to_xml()
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\server\rss_server.py", line 1
87, in getdoc
items.append(dir2item(subdir, config, getart(subdir)))
File "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\rokudev\media servier\server\rss_server.py", line 1
32, in getart
for base, dirs, files in os.walk(path.encode('utf-8')):
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 25: ordinal
not in range(128)

192.168.1.35:52421 - - [13/Feb/2010 10:15:21] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 500 Interna
l Server Error
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

Someone asked what an .m4a file is. That's the file extension for iTunes AAC files. The extension .m4p is used for purchased (DRM protected) AAC files.
0 Kudos