Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JANINEEW
Level 7

My HBO Max Channel was hacked

.... and is paid through my Roku Pay. HBO max cannot find my account and Roku has no human I can talk to. How do I fix this. I tried using the hbomax.com/tvsignin to restore but they do not have Roku as a provider in the list. So I went to "sign in" and it did not recognize my email. I tried HBOMAX.COM/FORGOT-SIGNIN and it never sent me a reset email. I tried calling HBO max directly but that was no help, they could not find any history of me existing. I tried canceling my subscription and it doesn't expire for another 12 days.

I searched my primary email and found a notification that someone changed my HBO max Roku app info but again, HBO Max support was useless, and kept asking me dumb questions as to what my email was even after I told them its been wiped out by a hacker. 

Help, I really just want to hit the kill switch on whoever is currently in my account.  

7 REPLIES 7\
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My HBO Max Channel was hacked

Hi @JANINEEW,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. 

We recommend verifying the email associated with your Roku device is correct by going to Settings > System > About. 
Once you verify the Roku account link to the device, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here:https://support.roku.com/contactus. It may be more effective for you to get help from our billing team and they will be able to further assist you.

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
Impunity75
Level 7

Same thing happened to me, HBO was no help. I just said forget This and canceled thru roku. I’ll give it a couple weeks and create a new account directly thu HBO max

0 Kudos
Username2872
Level 7

It happened to me too! Exactly as you posted. Clearly the issue is with Roku. I can't sign into HBOmax at all now and they are completely useless in this matter.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Username2872 @JANINEEW @Impunity75 

I think part of the confusion lies with some misunderstanding of what it means to subscribe to a service through Roku Pay.

You don't really have an account with the service. You have an account with Roku, and you have a subscription to the service through Roku, but you don't have an account with the service. You can't log in to the service on that app. 

This is true for any service to which you can subscribe through Roku Pay. But, let's take HBO Max as an example. You can substitute Netflix, or any other service, and the same is true.

When you subscribe to HBO Max via Roku, you can watch HBO Max through your Roku. It will automatically log you in and allow you to watch via The Roku Channel. You cannot launch the HBO Max app and enter credentials to watch. For some, the app will automatically log you in via Roku. For others, you simply can't use the app, but must use The Roku Channel.

Calling HBO Max will not accomplish anything. You don't have an account with them. You have a subscription via Roku, and HBO Max has no way of providing anything to you. Roku handles the interaction, and restricts your watching to Roku devices, and sometimes only through The Roku Channel.

If this isn't the experience you want, then simply don't subscribe through Roku. Yes, subscribing through Roku is simple and you only have one online payment setup to worry about, but the downside is the loss of control regarding where you can watch the content.

If you want an HBO Max account -- and remember, if you subscribe through Roku, you do not have a regular HBO Max account; think of it as Roku's account and that you use it -- then do not subscribe via Roku. Subscribe directly to HBO Max and use the HBO Max app on Roku, or on any device.

With this bit of information in mind, how does that change your description of your issue?

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ashleypa03
Level 7

Did you end up getting this issue resolved? I’m currently dealing with what sounds like the EXACT same issue and no matter what can’t find a way to resolve it. I’ve sent support an email hoping I get answers that way. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@ashleypa03 wrote:

Did you end up getting this issue resolved? I’m currently dealing with what sounds like the EXACT same issue and no matter what can’t find a way to resolve it. I’ve sent support an email hoping I get answers that way. 

Please articulate the issue. If my earlier suggestion to the others isn't applicable, please explain the issue you are having. Include your Roku model number, the software version (Roku and the app), and how you are subscribed, as well as what issues you are having.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Marshgirl
Level 1

I’m currently dealing with this exact same situation. So annoying. Spent well over an hour with HBO Max. Useless. 

0 Kudos