Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZ-MRG
Level 8

Multiple Apple TV+ issues?

Having same issues - but not just with Apple TV app.  Netflix has an issue of going slow and failing to work at times as well.  And there are others that end up with audio/video synchronization issues.  Restarting the app does not seem to do anything to resolve.  So, in all cases, we have to go to Roku System and then to Restart Roku.  (A quick aside: we check for updates before restart to take further advantage of a restart/reboot and have 100% clean system.)  After the Restart - all issues have gone away, so that leads me to believe that apps are not cleaning up after themselves (e.g. memory leaks) when shutdown and eventually Roku just bogs down due to lack of enough memory for the app in play.  So, is it an app issue or Roku one?  It depends on how you look at it, but I suggest Roku adding logic to clean house after app closure so that it need not rely on all of the app developers to do it themselves and do it correctly.

This issue is exacerbated by the fact that Roku does not ever shutdown (no on/off) unless you cut the power to the unit (and get a complete reboot to clean memory).  Why not have a true power on/off?

MRG
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
WannaWatch9
Level 7

Re: Multiple Apple TV+ issues?

I tried removing and reinstalling the Apple TV app on my Roku TV today. And rebooted the TV. No change. Videos are unwatchable because they stutter/lag to buffer every 5 seconds or so. Will call Apple but I know they'll blame Roku

0 Kudos
Nexifer
Level 8

Go into settings and change video to SD. You will still get HD video and the problem goes away. Obviously a flaw in the app software 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hello @WannaWatch9

Thanks for the post.

Did you restart your Roku TV before re-installing Apple TV? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order, we would recommend giving it a shot once again. 

Please follow the instructions below:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If after attempting the suggestions above, you are still unable to play videos from one channel while videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves.

You can reach Apple TV Support here: https://support.apple.com/apple-tv

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos