Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nexifer
Level 8

Re: Multiple Apple TV+ issues?

Jump to solution

Yes of course.  Its the Apple app for the Roku.  It isn't working well. All the other apps on Roku are fine and I love the Roku.

Apple TV + works fine on the Apple TV device.  I guess Apple wants everyone to buy their product in addition to a Roku.  I hate the Apple TV.  Everything about it sucks.  The remote. The layout.  The interface.  I'm an iPhone guy but  their Apple TV product is terrible.

0 Kudos
Wb4
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just because other Roku apps work fine, doesn't mean it's not Roku's fault.    Roku builds an interface to its platform (an API) and apps that want to work on that platform have access to the API and need to code appropriately.   The problem is that programmers (Roku and Apple's) are not so good these days (as in my day ... hee hee ).  Software quality is devolving. sometimes an API changes over time in an incompatible way and other apps that may already be using it an older way.   Sometimes an API is not written well enough to detect that something bad came in to report to the calling program.  Or it detects something and reports it to the calling program, but the calling program doesn't deal with it.   Clearly, these two packages are not working well together.   The API (Roku) could be poorly designed, poorly documented or poorly implemented.   The client program (AppleTV) could be poorly implemented.   Or it could be both! 

I'm going to try it on my new Windows 10 laptop (tv.apple.com) and maybe figure out a way to cast it to my Roku (or see if I have an hdmi output on my laptop.)   

[digress:  Unfortunately having other dumb problems with apple that are getting in the way of doing that.  The free trial requires CC (annoying!!)  My apple-id is old and there is no way to update my visa expiration date on the Roku apple-tv app.   Tried to on PC and was faced with security questions in order to login.  My apple-id is so old, they didn't have security questions when I got it. (it wasn't called apple-id... it was just a windows itunes account email).   was on hold with support forever getting nowhere.   had to create a brand new apple-id which potentially could get messy down the road having two.   still can't use tv.apple.com until  I jump through other hoops.  apple s*x.   [end-digression]

Wb4
Level 8

Jump to solution

Turns out watching on the laptop was great. I was able to cast to the Roku Streaming Stick but it was very choppy so I'm sticking with the laptop. it has a nice 2n1  high-end display and is actually very convenient. I could go back to the Roku app with my new Apple ID, but this is better.

maybe by the time there's more Apple TV content that  I want to watch, the Roku apple app will have improved. For now this is good for the free trial

0 Kudos
omalley
Level 7

Jump to solution

Setting the resolution to 720 didn't work for me. 

In the past, I've had the issue with the "content not available now" (or similar) message, but now it's just black screen. Like it thinks it's playing the movie, but it's not. No audio, either. Nothing. 

0 Kudos
dmms
Level 8

Jump to solution

This all falls into the category of the "pass the buck" response. Roku says "Apple's problem", Apple says "Roku's problem". Meanwhile, their customers are cursing and wishing a plague on both their houses.

But, guess what, Apple? There are now thousands of streaming options. So, I will give up on Apple TV and will choose one of the others. This does not bode well for your market share, so I suggest you'all fix the problem.

0 Kudos
AFlacky1979
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I too have had numerous problems and am using a 2018 LG 4K HDR10 tv with a Roku Streaming Stick +. 

I have tried all the usual suggestions on numerous posts, such as disabling Dolby (As I am only using stereo) and also reducing the resolution to 1080p, which none of these work. 

When I go into the Apple App settings and change it to only stream in SD, everything is good and is no way SD (480p) as the picture is crystal clear and plays in HDR. Roku is set to auto detect and has correctly identified 4K 60Htz HDR with audio set to Auto  

Not sure if this is an API issue or a video codec incompatibility with Apple content, but all other content plays nice with Roku. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Nexifer
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks. I’ll give it a try and let you know if I get the same results as you. 

0 Kudos
AFlacky1979
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a Dolby Vision issue as Apple seam to stream with all the bells and whistles. 

hope it works for you. 🤞

0 Kudos
PaperAirplanes
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here. Apple+ on Roku is just unwatchable. It's definitely an issue with the app itself. It's just clunky and poorly coded. Hoping Apple fixes it, if not I will definitely not be renewing my subscription.

0 Kudos
AZ-MRG
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having same issues - but not just with Apple TV app.  Netflix has an issue of going slow and failing to work at times as well.  And there are others that end up with audio/video synchronization issues.  Restarting the app does not seem to do anything to resolve.  So, in all cases, we have to go to Roku System and then to Restart Roku.  (A quick aside: we check for updates before restart to take further advantage of a restart/reboot and have 100% clean system.)  After the Restart - all issues have gone away, so that leads me to believe that apps are not cleaning up after themselves (e.g. memory leaks) when shutdown and eventually Roku just bogs down due to lack of enough memory for the app in play.  So, is it an app issue or Roku one?  It depends on how you look at it, but I suggest Roku adding logic to clean house after app closure so that it need not rely on all of the app developers to do it themselves and do it correctly.

This issue is exacerbated by the fact that Roku does not ever shutdown (no on/off) unless you cut the power to the unit (and get a complete reboot to clean memory).  Why not have a true power on/off?

MRG
0 Kudos