Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiltmonster
Level 8

Multi channel processing, Roku and Vue

I have had my Ultra box for about a year. Very nice features, I have never seen the surround lit for anything at all, ever. Now, I don't expect my Playstation Vue service to stream multi channel; though they don't say, zero multi channel, it seems almost zero. Today, I tried going on to some Roku apps separate, to find something that does stream multi channel sound; and had no luck. HBO separate app is no longer active; so not sure what is up with that; I am already paying, but not a Roku issue. I was able to try some other apps separate from Vue, like Discovery, and Nat Geo even the movie Free Solo.........2.0 PCM only. I verified the chord is working all the way to the receiver. Is there any multi channel material through Roku apps at all; so I can at least verify the Roku player is passing multi channel. Specs say new Rokus will, even Atmos; and I have a Roku Ultra here. Seems I am paying 15-20 a month for two HBO channels, the app should be full audio, and I should have access. Vue does not send out multi channel, best I can ascertain; but the separate Roku apps, seem like something should work. Shark week, Wicked Tuna, something. Or is it just a complete app thing; and nobody is doing any surround for apps? If anyone knows of a Roku app that does pass 5.1, or even Atmos; please share, so I can verify Roku is passing it.I know this is all a work in competitive progress, but I am batting zero here for surround. I was beginning to think it was my system, or a setting some palce; but went right out of a Blue Ray player today, 5.1....and then tried some Roku apps separate....all pcm 2.0. My Roku Box is set for "auto select" on the HDMI audio setting, as is the stereo.   Thank You!          
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Multi channel processing, Roku and Vue

How is your Roku connected? Mine connects to my Yamaha AVR via HDMI, which then feeds the image to the TV. I get multi-channel on Amazon no problem, and when I still had Netflix it too was 5.1. Not all channels offer 5.1 audio, but Netflix and Amazon certainly do. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
tiltmonster
Level 8

I am running through a new 4K HDMI chord:  from Roku Ultra, to an Atmos capable Onkyo receiver. The only thing I have not tried; is purchasing a stand alone movie from one of the services like Netflix Hulu Vudu, etc; and see if that streams in surround. Most of what I watch, is through my paid Playstation Vue App; which means any Roku stand alone apps, putting out surround, may be pretty sparse among the non premium apps. Since Vue I think is 2 channel, as many other streaming services seem to be; perhaps you only get surround with premium stand alone purchases(latest blockbuster movies at full rental). Which is kinda why I was asking; if there is an app on Roku, outside the paid services like Vue, that may put out surround, to see if my Roku will actually pass it? My OTA channels go through Vue App, so that is no help, as do my HBO and premiums. So the Vue app only passes 2.0, restricting those. Roku really needs a test utility app? That would be great. Diagnostic app. Many sports are in surround; but they go through Vue as well, or my OTA access on Vue. I know my receiver puts out full surround, via other ports. Perhapse I will just have to purchase a new release movie some time; that may be the only way they are dishing out the bandwith for surround right now, for streaming services?         

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I also use Roku Media Player to stream from my home DLNA server. I absolutely get Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 from my Roku Ultra, which is the only Roku I have connected to an AVR. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
tiltmonster
Level 8

Great Idea, I have not tried the Roku Media server; for a 5.1 feed. All I have to do is verify a surround content feed, and this should be a good way to test things. Thank you, should have thought of doing this.

0 Kudos