Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
empirefalls
Level 7

More Ads coming on HULU IN 2019

"Hulu plan to run ads when you pause streaming TV shows" " coming in 2019"

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/1812 ... tv-revenue

Last month when i had the free Hulu trial, it was unwatchable. 4 or 5 ads before anything. then ads in the shows. I almost gouged my eyeballs out of the sockets trying to watch anything on Hulu.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: More Ads coming on HULU IN 2019

I subscribe to the no commercial plan. Never have an issue. I upgraded during the summer of 2015, so glad I did because the Geico Peter Pan ad almost drove me insane with how often it played during breaks Feel like I dodged the 2016 election cycle too by doing that. I upgraded my YouTube to no commercials for the same reason around the same time as I upgraded Hulu.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Pausing is WHEN I want commercials to play, because I'm not paying attention. 

We all know Hulu has ads, and that you can pay a couple dollars extra a month for a no-ads subscription. I think Hulu's model is great. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"mikebdoss" wrote:
Pausing is WHEN I want commercials to play, because I'm not paying attention. 

We all know Hulu has ads, and that you can pay a couple dollars extra a month for a no-ads subscription. I think Hulu's model is great. 

We used to be 75% Netflix, 25% Hulu in our house.. now the tables have turned.. it's probably 60% Hulu, 40% Netflix.. Even with ads.

Like you said, pay $4 more a month and get nearly zero ads.. $4 a month extra is a sandwich at McDonald's.. well worth it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"bvd1022" wrote:
I subscribe to the no commercial plan. Never have an issue. I upgraded during the summer of 2015, so glad I did because the Geico Peter Pan ad almost drove me insane with how often it played during breaks  Feel like I dodged the 2016 election cycle too by doing that. I upgraded my YouTube to no commercials for the same reason around the same time as I upgraded Hulu.

For me it was those annoying "Ask your doctor if" drug ads.  The worst ads ever.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"reddice" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
I subscribe to the no commercial plan. Never have an issue. I upgraded during the summer of 2015, so glad I did because the Geico Peter Pan ad almost drove me insane with how often it played during breaks  Feel like I dodged the 2016 election cycle too by doing that. I upgraded my YouTube to no commercials for the same reason around the same time as I upgraded Hulu.

For me it was those annoying "Ask your doctor if" drug ads.  The worst ads ever.

The language in pharmaceutical advertisements is highly regulated by the FDA. You can say what you want about the idea of drug advertising in general, but using language like "As your doctor if this drug is right for you" is government mandated. 
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"reddice" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:

It just happened to come during a two week break in the middle of the summer, which is rare for me given I'm a sports writer, but it was also a stormy period for those weeks so I really had nothing else to do, but lay back and stream movies and TV shows. After a week of those Peter Pan ads playing seemingly every break on Hulu, I couldn't take it. I literally said to myself a few more dollars per month and $10 per month to avoid the same thing on YouTube was a small price to pay instead of being annoyed. Can only imagine how bad it was during the elections. Glad I avoided it.
0 Kudos
hkirmani
Level 7

Oh that will be a mess....
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"reddice" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:

The language in pharmaceutical advertisements is highly regulated by the FDA. You can say what you want about the idea of drug advertising in general, but using language like "As your doctor if this drug is right for you" is government mandated. 

Who cares I don't want to see ads for products I can't even buy even worse having to pay a sub fee to still see them.  the no ads upgrade is the only way to use Hulu.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Cancelled HULU years ago. Best move I ever made. 
Cancelled Netflix Streaming years ago due to their annoying UI. Second best move I ever made. To date they haven't found a way to inject their insanity onto the DVDs and BluRays I get - but I'm sure their engineers are working on it...
0 Kudos