Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiamiVicefan
Channel Surfer

Missing episodes of Miami Vice

Hello.

Miami Vice on Roku is missing season one, episode 22, called “Evan” and Season two, episode 23, “sons and lovers.” Can roku add these or is there a way to find them?

thank you. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Missing episodes of Miami Vice

@MiamiVicefan 

Could be a couple of things going on.

First, be aware that as you didn't say which app you were watching, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess Roku Channel. Regardless, what I'm about to say will probably apply to whatever app you were using.

Roku Channel and other similar services license the content from others. And sometimes, the distributor does a poor job with the episodes when two-part episodes are in the mix.

You're calling Sons & Lovers as episode 23. However, the studio production codes for the season indicate only 22 episodes were made. The discrepancy is because what you are calling episodes 1 & 2, The Prodigal Son, are together episode 1 in production code. One view is that it's a two-part episode, while another view is it's two episodes making up a single story. Those are subtle differences, but differences. And it has happened with many different TV shows where two-part episodes had a single production code that the distribution gets all jacked up. It usually impacts the last episode, which is marked as episode 23, but the season is marked by production codes totally 22 episodes. In those cases, sloppy distributors will leave off the last episode. I've seen this happen, even when the two-part episode was the finale.

If this is what is going on -- and I've seen it before, and this would fit -- then Roku is at the mercy of the distributor. It will be up to the distributor to fix this.

As for s01e22, Evan, be aware that the episode has been censored on some platforms for a slur, and in some European countries for Nazi imagery. Whether or not this enters into it, I don't know, but if the distributor is being overly sensitive about either topic, they may have chosen to not distribute it. I don't know that's the case, but again, similar things have happened with other shows.

It is also possible that music licenses for the songs in the show contribute to its omission, but again, I don't know for sure.

However, you have posted this for Roku to see, and they're aware. What action they can take beyond passing it to business to contact the distributor, I don't know.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MiamiVicefan
Channel Surfer

Thank you for this offering of possible reasons for the omissions.

I should have mentioned I have been watching the episodes on the Roku channel on our smart TV. 

I actually realized the episodes were missing because I was very into the show as a kid, and particular remember the episodes i mentioned. (Though I did not remember the slur in the Evan episode)

I’ll be curious to see if there is any response regarding whether I can find these missing episodes. 

Thank you again! 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You can look at www.justwatch.com to find places to stream shows.  Also, Amazon has it on a Blu-Ray set which says “ALL 5 SEASONS - PLUS The Lost Episodes”. Looking through the reviews, you can see that Evan is included and one review implies that its inclusion is unusual.

0 Kudos
MiamiVicefan
Channel Surfer

@Strega 
thank you for the alternative viewing options! I’ll definitely check those out.

and again @DBDukes I forgot about the sensitive nature of some elements in the “Evan” episode. Thanks again for your thorough reply.

0 Kudos