Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macwarrior
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working

I will get that information for you as soon as I can. I'm at work right now so I'll get it tonight and provide it to you tomorrow. Thank you.

0 Kudos
NTC
Streaming Star

Pointout. My Roku Ultra is on OS11 and RMP is playing my mp4 files (AVC/AC3 and HEVC/AC3 codecs) just fine. I also was able to play a MKV file with HEVC/DTS. This is from a Toshiba 60GB USB thumb drive. I do have the Roku going directly to my Denon, then to my Sony TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: USB won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

OK, I tested my external hard drive, a Western Digital 1 TB drive formatted as NTFS. The only media files on the drive are all DVD rips, so MPEG2 video, AC3 audio and MKV container. Every file I tried played fine. This was with my Ultra 4800 using RMP and 11.0 build 4000something. I don't have the exact build number, as there was an update available after I tested and I went ahead and installed it. My version now is build 5003. 

You might check and see if there's a new OS update available for your device. I don't know if b5003 is specific to the Ultra 4800 or if it's good for other devices as well. Perhaps this update will fix the USB issue.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, I tested my external hard drive, a Western Digital 1 TB drive formatted as NTFS. The only media files on the drive are all DVD rips, so MPEG2 video, AC3 audio and MKV container. Every file I tried played fine. This was with my Ultra 4800 using RMP and 11.0 build 4000something. I don't have the exact build number, as there was an update available after I tested and I went ahead and installed it. My version now is build 5003. 

You might check and see if there's a new OS update available for your device. I don't know if b5003 is specific to the Ultra 4800 or if it's good for other devices as well. Perhaps this update will fix the USB issue.

Dan

0 Kudos
Phorrest
Streaming Star

@atc98092 wrote:

...This was with my Ultra 4800...

The problem is being reported for Roku 3 (e.g., 4230) and older.

Also, the suggestion to format with FAT32 is less than ideal, as this will limit playing videos that are less than 4 GB in size.  Even when using an "aggressive" re-packing scheme, many 1080p H264 videos that are ~ 2½ hours or longer will exceed 4 GB.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Phorrest wrote:

The problem is being reported for Roku 3 (e.g., 4230) and older.

Also, the suggestion to format with FAT32 is less than ideal, as this will limit playing videos that are less than 4 GB in size. 

Yeah, I don't have that old of a player, so can't test it. But my drive is NTFS, so perhaps it's a hardware limitation of the older players.

I just don't have a player old enough that would have a similar CPU as the Roku 3. My 4640 would be the oldest thing I have, other than a 2 XS, but that player is completely unsupported any longer so it wouldn't be a valid test. Its OS is probably still in version 8 or an early version 9, in no way comparable to the new OS 11.

I did add a few MP4 files to my portable drive, and RMP played them as well. Hopefully this information will provide the Roku developers some insight on what needs to be addressed. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Phorrest
Streaming Star

My 4230X used to play NTFS-formatted thumb drives until this latest update.  Contrary to what I said earlier, I have confirmed that reformatting this same drive to FAT32 allows me to use the drive at least in some capacity with my Roku 3.  However, the fact remains that I can't play videos greater than 4 GB in size any more.

Forcing an OS update on users that then bricks a basic hardware feature borders on the malicious in my opinion.  Do they no longer teach the concept of "inheritance" to software developers?  In addition, the fact that Roku's screen saver has also started displaying a "special offer to upgrade my Roku 3" just as an unnecessary OS update degrades my Roku's performance at least appears suspicious.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I'm not willing to go to the intentional side of things. Due to the lack of USB ports on the majority of Roku players, I think it's possible they simply forgot that some users still connect a hard drive for playing media. Hopefully this is a wakeup call to the developers to consider how some users might still make use of the USB port. In fact, it's the only possible use of the USB port, so it's something they better remember from now on. 

I use a DLNA server, which makes my media available on every device on my network at the same time. And that's what I recommend for anyone that is solely using their Roku at home. But Roku needs to remember the use case for people that travel and want to use their Roku without a network connection. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Macwarrior
Channel Surfer

I have the information you requested except the ID number. Can't find that.

Model - 4230X - Roku 3

OS - 11.0.0

Serial number - 4E6530078754

Roku Media Player 5.5

Build 13

0 Kudos
dennis21

Re: Hard drive plugged into the USB port won’t work

I have two Roku units with USB sockets and they both worked perfect using external hard drives. I watch films a lot and things I have recorded. A few days a go they updated from 10.5 to 11..0 and now neither of the USB sockets work. Before I throw them in the bin has any body got any ideas how to get them to work as I have tried everything. I wonder if they have been disconnected so we can not use them.

0 Kudos