Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeb1
Level 7

Media Player some videos play with no sound but the same videos will play with sound on the TV.

I have videos that play using the media player and the NAS server no problem. I have other videos that the audio from the Roku 4200X media player does not play. I have also attached a video using the USB cable no luck. I need assistance with the audio. The video is ok. My desktop media play and tv will play the video and audio. Any ideas? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Media Player some videos play with no sound but the same videos will play with sound on the TV.

The codecs your files are encoded with are probably not supported by Roku:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

Supported media file types

Different Roku devices support different formats. Newer firmware may support additional formats. The type of audio formats supported is dependent on the type of TV or A/V receiver your Roku device is connected to. Formats supported by your Roku device can be viewed by accessing the ?/Help pages from the Media Device and the Media Type selection screens.

The following file formats are supported:

• Video – H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
  • Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV,.DTS), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A), Vorbis (.OGG,.MKV,.WEBM)
  • Playlists –.M3U, .M3U8, .PLS
  • Image – JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The following media formats are supported on Roku devices that support 4K

• 4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV, .WEBM)
  • 4K Video – H.264 (Roku Premiere, Premiere+, and Ultra only)

The following media formats are supported on Roku TVs and some Roku players

• Video – H.262 (.MKV)

Notes:

• The Roku Media Player channel will not display unsupported file types or files it has determined cannot be played by your Roku device.
  • DRM-protected content is not supported.

You'll either need to transcode the files at the source, or re-encode the files with a supported audio codec.

Use MediaInfo if need be to determine what codecs your files are currently using: 

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

0 Kudos