Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Media Player backlevel or fix?

An update to the Roku Media Player within the past few days has totally screwed up the app. Is there a way to backlevel this app?

Previously, we were able to stream content from a storage device attached to the router to which the Roku TV is attached. We keep a large library on content on that device. After this week's "update" (downgrade?), the Media Player only shows the USB stick plugged into the #Insignia Roku/TV. It also no longer sees media shared on the LAN. Before this downgrade, we could see media shared by the computers on our network

Is this a bug that will be promptly fixed? Will the Media Player be restored to it's previously working state? Is there another method to access media on our LAN?

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Media Player backlevel or fix?

Same thing is happening with me as well. Till yesterday I was able to play videos from my USB but today video is ending saying the device is not available.

Highlighted
Level 7

I cannot play video from the usb, yesterday 05-14-2020 I was watching videos from the usb, today I tried to play the video and the app closes

Highlighted
Level 8

I can't play anything off the drive I keep hooked to the Roku now.

It keeps saying it has lost the connection.

Roku needs to fix this ASAP as this is the chief reason I use them instead of other products.

Highlighted
Level 8

We did manage to play some videos off the USB stick inserted into our Insignia/Roku TV. But this sham of an upgrade still does not see the media files shared on the same LAN which the Roku is attached through. The previous version gave us full access to media shared on the LAN.

And the now downgraded user interface is ridiculous. The only presentation seems to be a "list" format which truncates the media file titles to an unusable short length. i.e. "My Favorite Program S1E9" gets truncated to "My Favorite Prog..". No way to see which episode the title points to without clicking on through to play the file. Ridiculous.

I must go on record as a software programmer who rose through the ranks to senior software engineer and ultimately executive software architect for a well known multi-national technology firm. In all my years, it would be difficult to recall a more epic failure of an "upgrade" than this. Yes, there have been many similar but none as obviously amateur as this one. Whatever manager and executive who permitted this "update" to be released should be immediately returned to their area of competence. Perhaps short order  cook at Waffle House or night stocker at Dollar General?

Adding further insult to this offense is the now obvious fact that Roku has absolutely no customer support (except for pre-sales script readers) and no testing regime for product releases. We have been casually shopping for a larger smart TV with favoritism toward another Roku embedded set. Now I see that we should really revisit our assumptions and reconsider competitive brands.

This is inexcusable.

Highlighted
Level 7

I had the same problem.  Videos on the usb would only play for around 10 minutes then the “usb drive no longer available “ message would show. I was able to rollback the Media Player by uninstalling it then reinstalling the older version, which works fine.   This is a temp fix until Roku can fix the bug.

Highlighted
Level 8

They must have rolled back the "upgrade". I found no way to reinstall the older version on my Insignia/Roku TV, so just huffed and puffed and resigned to waiting it out or making alternate replay arrangements.

But lo and behold, shortly after posting my last rant about this problem we went to watch the evening downloads and the trusty old proven and functional version was back in place. We watched the normal evening downloads on the USB stick and looked at the LAN repository which appears to be intact and complete.

Maybe someone at Roku is paying attention after all. (but I stand by my previous rant about the manager authorizing that release should go back to selling snake oil or something. That "upgrade" should never have seen daylight until all faults were corrected via thorough testing.)

Highlighted
Level 8

I'm having the same issue. Roku media player is not detecting my USB hard drives. Is there a update fix as soon as possible. Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You can get it working by reinstalling the media player again.It worked for me.

@Mooseguy wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Roku media player is not detecting my USB hard drives. Is there a update fix as soon as possible. Thank you

@Mooseguy wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I uninstalled the Roku media player and reinstalled it on my TCL TV. Regarding my USB hard drive not being detected. I reinstalled the Roku media player and the hard drive will not detect none of my hard drives but one. It was working just fine until I updated to the new version

0 Kudos