Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oniichanaino
Level 7

Media Player - My Cloud & Duplicates

My dad gave me a roku XS for my birthday and I was stoked because I use a MyCloud to store my movies. It works great and except for a few movies in formats the Roku doesn't recognize, I'm not having any playing issues. The question comes more from the movie list. As an example, I have the movie Clue. Great movie. It is listed 3 times in a row. I checked for the most obvious issues meaning that I didn't actually have it in there multiple times, that it didn't have multiple video streams, etc. I have almost 400 movies on that drive, but when Roku reads it, it says I have almost 1200. Pretty much every movie is listed 3 to 5 times.

The file system is WDMyCloud\Home\Movies and then all the movies are just listed alphabetically. They are in M4V format and a few MP4s. Interesting note, it only happens to the movie folder. WDMyCloud\Home\TV has multiple folders underneath it for the individual tv shows and none of those duplicate. Thanks for reading and I hope someone might have an explanation on how to fix.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Media Player - My Cloud & Duplicates

First, the Roku 2 XS is ancient, so you would be much better off with a newer player. It can't handle video bitstreams faster than about 14 Mbps. That's fine for DVD rips, but will choke on Blu Ray rips.
Roku Media Player does not maintain any sort of database about the media on your server. So if you're seeing a title multiple times, your server is providing the information. From what I've heard from other users, the DLNA servers built into those NAS devices are not the greatest. I prefer to run my DLNA server from a PC. That way, I have more control, and I also have enough power to transcode files that Roku can't play. You can still have the media stored on your NAS and connect a DLNA server on your computer to them. I use Serviio, but there are others as well.
Another option is to use Plex. They have a channel for the Roku that provides a Netflix-like user interface that works quite well for most people. Plex can run on some NAS devices, but again because of CPU power limitations they usually can't transcode very well. Again, you could install Plex on a computer and point it to the NAS for your media. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
oniichanaino
Level 7

Re: Media Player - My Cloud & Duplicates

Ahh so it is the MyCloud's fault. Makes sense. I'll go check and see if there is a database repair function or the like. I don't know anything about Plex so I'll have to learn about that and see what it takes versus what I have on hand.

Didn't realize the XS was old technology, but I hadn't noticed any issues. Plus and don't tell him this, but he put some thought into this gift and I'm really happy he was forward looking. I don't own a 4K tv or even any blurays so shouldn't be an issue for now, but maybe some day when I'm not so poor.

Thanks for looking out!
0 Kudos