Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phlegmer
Binge Watcher

Media Player App no longer has sound

We have a Synology NAS where I store my .m4v files to stream to my Roku Ultra.  This has been working nicely since I got it a couple years ago now.  Recently, however, I can no longer stream.  The video streams just fine but the sound is all messed up.  The sound is just a bunch of loud ticking sounds.  It does that for all vids I've tried.  I've rebooted the Roku, rebooted the Synology with no change.  I've then tried to stream to my PS4, works just fine.  Streamed to my Mac, works just fine.  It only seems to be my Roku Ultra using the Media Player app.

All other streaming apps and services on the Roku (youtube, netflix, prime, etc) work just fine.

I do see that it was updated around 4/29 and it might be a little before that when I last used it and it worked.

Please advise.

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Media Player App no longer has sound

@phlegmer

Thanks for the post.

We would be happy to look further into this issue. However we need some details to continue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

-would you be willing to provide a content sample for us to use to replicate

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
phlegmer
Binge Watcher

Roku device model
4670RW - Roku Ultra

serial number
YJ0054801139

device ID
KX9985801139

software OS/version
10.0.0 build 4185-46

does this issue occur on a specific channel?
Yes

if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
Roku Media Player
v5.5 Build 9

tracker ID when this issue occurs
39-181-503

would you be willing to provide a content sample for us to use to replicate
Sure, how do I upload?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@phlegmer

Thanks for the information.

I have sent you a PM (private message) requesting additional information.

Once we have that information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
phlegmer
Binge Watcher

Sample clip has been sent.  Was there anything else you require?

Thanks

Bob2050x
Streaming Star

Hello,

ALL of my Roku Express + units were updated today (May 13, 2021) to Software Version 10.0.0 Build 4195-51 and about half of my stored videos either have a very loud clicking sound for audio or no audio at all!  Most of the problem files are Matroska.  Some work and some don't.  Even some of my MP4 files have the same problem!  May 12, 2021 EVERYTHING worked properly!

Once again a Roku update is causing serious issues with Roku Media Player!

Please fix it ASAP or return to the previous build!

Thank you.

phlegmer
Binge Watcher

My Ultra was updated a couple days ago.  Still has the same issue.  😞

Bob2050x
Streaming Star

Does Roku even care anymore when they break the software on devices that worked prior to the update?  At least with Microsoft you can roll back updates that cause a problem.  Not sure about other devices such as Android or Apple.

Too bad someone doesn't come out with a competing app for Roku Media Player.

Are there any non sanctioned apps out there for Roku that do the same thing as Media Player?

We need an alternative!

rumx
Channel Surfer

I am having the exact same issue. For me, any media files that were encoded in Handbrake using the Roku device template have white noise and clicking in Roku Media Player after the version 10 update. Downgrading the Roku device is the only way I have found to resolve this, but it just auto-updated to v10 again yesterday and the issue is back, and rolling back to v9 isn't available anymore. I reported this to Roku support several weeks ago when version 10 was initially released, and I have to say that the "support" I received was among the worst I have ever experienced.

rumx
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R, any updates on this issue?