Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

MSNBC on Hulu causes Roku 3 reboot

I've noticed this reboot pattern over a period of several weeks. It happens at the top of the hour when MSNBC is coming off a commercial break, the screen goes black, my Roku app dies and I get a blue screen, then the Roku 3 reboots.

I am guessing that it is a Hulu application problem but that shouldn't kill the host (Roku 3). Hulu needs to get their act together, they have real problems switching from commercials to programming that is noticeable even when it doesn't cause a reboot. Roku needs to get their act together and make sure that an application doesn't take down the host...that's mainframe 101 programming.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: MSNBC on Hulu causes Roku 3 reboot

My guess:

Perhaps the commercials are being transmitted in a different resolution and/or frame rate than the main program. As a result, every time it switches into or out of the commercial breaks, the combined Roku/HDMI/TV system must reconfigure itself to accommodate the change.

Try changing the Roku's "Display type" settings (Home > Settings > Display type) to your TV's native resolution, rather than "Auto" to minimize the disruption caused by the switch.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: MSNBC on Hulu causes Roku 3 reboot

Several weeks ago I switched the display to the TV's native resolution, it had been on auto.  I have this problem on two TV's, one is 1080 and the other is 720.  The problem is still occurring.  It is an intermittent problem, sometimes nothing is wrong for days then it will reboot several times a day.  It occasionally reboots at other commercial breaks but it is most often at the top of the hour.  I only have this problem with MSNBC and only when the network is switching to, or from, a commercial break.

Are there any records cut during a crash to help debugging?  I know I used to love to read through huge MVS system dumps.

0 Kudos