Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDale
Level 10

Re: MPEG2 support: patent expires worldwide, almost

RMP displays an abbreviated list of the most often requested codecs and containers that that device and that firmware version supports. The list is abbreviated for space, formatting, and ease of reading. When coupling containers and codecs it can complicated. 
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 10

I am trying to reduce your return rate. If the main way to test "does it work" is RMP and reading the help screen. People would go, well not supporting xvid(aka h263) is a deal-breaker and return the roku.

Why aren't users directed to the information I've shown above on the image as what can play on roku?

Leave caveats (aka the asterisk *) and list "not all models may support this" on codecs that require the new models. The older hardware in roku 3/2 and less are much too limited to allow all this on their hardware from by-gone era. The new models are much more capable. To limit this and not give full information is raising the return rate of boxes I am sure. People don't test. They go off what roku says officially. And officially right now, you guys are hurting your own sales.

Not meaning this to sound sour in any way. But in an economic sense for you guys, and to save the hair pulling and angry drives back to return rokus users make, it would be nice if officially we could have the information presented in a way that doesn't require reading through an app which will truncate the information. I am sure you understand. Smiley Happy

I <3 my roku ultra. Don't get the focus of my post wrong...
0 Kudos
maroonwarrior71
Level 7

Yeah so I definitely don't understand RokuDale's response here. 

Bottom line is - we want MPEG2 support on Roku. You've got it in Roku TVs, why not in, say, streaming stick +? If the patent has expired, why is Roku not supporting this VERY important codec?
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 10

"maroonwarrior71" wrote:
Yeah so I definitely don't understand RokuDale's response here. 

Bottom line is - we want MPEG2 support on Roku. You've got it in Roku TVs, why not in, say, streaming stick +? If the patent has expired, why is Roku not supporting this VERY important codec?

Bottom line is Roku supports h261 (mpeg1 part2), h262 (mpeg2 part2), h263 (mpeg4 part2), h264 (avc/mpeg4), h265 (hevc), vp8, and vp9. The newer hardware has full support for these in MKV. Tested and confirmed. Your roku streaming stick+ can play mpeg2 just fine if it were in an MKV.

Why does RMP just display "the most often requested codecs and containers"? Who talks like this? Why is there no list showing us what can direct play on the roku? Why is the defacto of "Where is there a list showing what can play?" are users redirected to use RMP if it cannot tell them and restricts this information to just the most often requested codecs and containers?

Either @RokuDale doesn't know, doesn't show, or doesn't care about full codec support on Roku being announced officially. Unofficially, it works just fine. Remux all your media into MKV and copy video/audio streams with MKVToolNix. This allows full direct play of everything. Will Roku ever make this news official? The public deserves to know and so do app developers so they can curate their media better. Time will tell... tick tock.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

"speechles" wrote:

...Why does RMP just display "the most often requested codecs and containers"? Who talks like this? Why is there no list showing us what can direct play on the roku? Why is the defacto of "Where is there a list showing what can play?" are users redirected to use RMP if it cannot tell them and restricts this information to just the most often requested codecs and containers?

I think Dale explained why quite well. There's limited space on screen to list everything. For players that support H.262 (and not all do), it is listed in the Help section of RMP. His point about it getting complicated with explaining different containers and codecs is accurate. I am a moderator on the Serviio forum, and very often people say "I have a MKV video". But that doesn't tell us anything, since MKV offers so many options with video and audio codecs, multiple streams of audio and captions, etc. I think it's a great container, but it's tough explaining to people the difference between a container and codecs. That said, Roku could certainly provide a more detailed explanation on their support page. I for one would like an official list of which players support which codecs. I know my Ultra (and of course my two TVs) support H.262, and I know my Stick and 4 do not. I don't understand why these two don't, since even my older Stick has more processing power than my Insignia Roku TV. I know that simply by the performance of the YouTube channel on both devices. But then I didn't expect them to use the top line hardware in a 24" 720p TV.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 10

Why show any information at all if it isn't complete?

For example, the app I have, I wrote a capabilities profile for. This capabilities profile knows all, it is a swami. It queries the device and finds if the codecs are supported easily.

We went through dialog with users and came up with detection to support these codecs.
see here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62070-issue-with-watching-in-progress-recording-on-rok...

Now what we do is show the user nothing on what can or cannot play. The app will transcode when it has to, or when the roku throws an error or the video player closes, the app is smart enough to sense it cannot direct play and falls back to transcoding. Now I know the RMP app cannot do this. But it can remove that part about what can or cannot play. It doesn't need to show this information if it isn't accurate. If I put RULES up in my house and don't have enough room. We just don't list some of the rules. People then break the rules not listed and wonder WTF? We say, dude.. there is only so much room to display the rules, plus different people get different rules, those are the most common rules that apply to everybody. When you break a rule not on the list, we have to explain why it isn't on the list everytime. It does get tiring, but we explain the room isnt there to show it all, all over again. Over time, people stop listening to you about the rules and make their own lists. This is what I have done with Roku. Stop listening to them. You can't listen to people who aren't forthcoming. You can't listen to roku on this subject. That is unfortunate.

Like you say, they need to make that trickplay section where it lists the codecs as the defacto, what can roku play. Then put the little caveat asterisks * by the codecs which arent supported on every model saying so. It isn't that hard. Is roku just 4 guys in a garage? Then it might be hard. But they aren't. It is ridiculous here we are 2018, and the company is shying away from actually giving accurate information. Odd right?
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 10

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1B--2g40mi

Above are sample videos which illustrate the proof these codecs play. Do they play on your roku device?

The two .wtv files are for rokuTV users. Some people claim WTV will work on certain rokuTV models. I dispute this because unheard of, but the files are there if rokuTV people want to give them a throw. Download all the samples from the link above and try to play them. The MP4_MP4V file will of course not play in an MKV container. This is an MP4 only codec and provided to show proof of that as well. Showing all my cards now. I call. Roku your move.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

"speechles" wrote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AUvCY0zMr0_8Kr-bZxgJC11B--2g40mi

Above are sample videos which illustrate the proof these codecs play. Do they play on your roku device?

The two .wtv files are for rokuTV users. Some people claim WTV will work on certain rokuTV models. I dispute this because unheard of, but the files are there if rokuTV people want to give them a throw. Download all the samples from the link above and try to play them. The MP4_MP4V file will of course not play in an MKV container. This is an MP4 only codec and provided to show proof of that as well. Showing all my cards now. I call. Roku your move.

I have many WTV files, but I can't play them on my Insignia Roku TV, although it is a lower powered 720p set. I also have many H.262 recorded TV files that I've converted to MP4/M4V, and they all play. I don't have any MP4 video in a MKV container. Of course, I'm not attempted to play them from USB, but feeding them from my DLNA server. But I've changed the profile so that nothing is being transcoded, so I know it's the TV that is playing the files. And of course I have many MKV containers with H.262 video that play perfectly on my two Roku TVs, and now my Ultra as well. But I don't have any of the current generation of Roku players, so can't say which (if any) can now play H.262 as well. 
EDIT: I just tried WTV files on my Sharp 4K Roku TV, again via DLNA, and they aren't playable either. 
I do agree that it would be nice for Roku to update their web page to provide more detailed codec and container support. I also know how much support Dale has provided me over the years as I develop more specific Roku profiles for the Serviio DLNA server. Maybe it's my charming personality why I've received the support I have.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

WTV recordings will play on my Roku TV if I repackage them into an MKV file (no transcoding required). Or, is the question whether WTV file/container is supported natively?

-JT
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 10

"renojim" wrote:
WTV recordings will play on my Roku TV if I repackage them into an MKV file (no transcoding required).  Or, is the question whether WTV file/container is supported natively?

-JT

Yeah, whether it is supported natively with no adjustments. I think they mistake roku having support for WMV as implying support for WTV and are full of.. (word goes here that sounds like spit and almost spelt like it). In absense of proof, one can only assume this is just rumors. Wanted to see if anyone else here heard of such a thing. 
0 Kudos