Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evo34
Level 7

Re: MLBTV Freezing and choppy.

Same issue here.  Six straight seasons of bug-filled experiences with MLB channel on Roku (zero-point-zero issues using any other channel)!

The issue of stuttering is seen at its worst during between-inning ads, which are basically unwatchable.  The in-game stuttering seems to get worse the longer you stream the game. 

MLB channel v. 5.1 * build 2018132201
Roku 4200X - Roku 3
Software 8.0.0 * build 4184-04
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

here is the link for mlb.tv bandwidth test.

i am appalled at how crappy their servers  work.

http://www.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.jsp
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I will poke some brains tomorrow afternoon to try and find a status update on this issue.

If you haven't already, try deleting MLB, UNPLUG your Roku (do NOT skip this step), and then re-add MLB.  If that doesn't work, do a Settings > System > System Update.

When I get more information, I'll post back.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Checkered24
Level 7

FWIW this choppiness doesn’t occur on the Roku Premiere my father has. His stream has been smooth and trouble free all spring. I was watchving at his house yesterday without issue. (Same when I stream it on my laptop. It runs fine).

Seems to be something specific with the Roku 3 and MLB’s stream to me.

MLB says the 3 is supported but i wonder if the hardware is not sufficient for what MLB is sending out.

Interested to hear if they update you Shaun. Thx!
0 Kudos
srglassw
Level 7

"ekaz" wrote:
This seems to be some sort of audio/video sync issue.  Watching the Indians game today, I saw all kinds of stuttering.  Switched to audio track 3 (radio), and the stuttering disappeared.   Went back to the TV broadcast audio, and the stuttering came back.  

Then later on a different Roku in another room, was watching the Tigers-Pirates game.  Was playing fine for a few innings, then all of a sudden it started stuttering really bad.  Switched to the radio audio track, and the stuttering went away.

Has anybody else noticed the stuttering disappears if you switch to the radio broadcast?

One advantage of the radio track is that it mutes all of the repetitive MLB.TV commercials.  Its just too bad that you have to re-select the audio track every time you begin playing a game from the main MLB.TV screen.

This is interesting and helpful. Watching Cubs at Reds game live home feed and getting periodic stuttering and particularly bad during between inning highlight clips. Switched to audio track 3 (radio) and the feed seems to be perfect, even the between inning highlights.

Thanks for this tip. It is more helpful than anything MLB.COM has come up with so far.
0 Kudos
ehren88888
Level 7

"Checkered24" wrote:
FWIW this choppiness doesn’t occur on the Roku Premiere my father has. His stream has been smooth and trouble free all spring. I was watchving at his house yesterday without issue. (Same when I stream it on my laptop. It runs fine).

Seems to be something specific with the Roku 3 and MLB’s stream to me.

MLB says the 3 is supported but i wonder if the hardware is not sufficient for what MLB is sending out.

Interested to hear if they update you Shaun. Thx!

It’s also my Roku streaming stick 3600R
Roku streaming stick 3600R
115meg down cable Internet 10mb up Spectrum internet
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
0 Kudos
ehren88888
Level 7

"ekaz" wrote:
This seems to be some sort of audio/video sync issue.  Watching the Indians game today, I saw all kinds of stuttering.  Switched to audio track 3 (radio), and the stuttering disappeared.   Went back to the TV broadcast audio, and the stuttering came back.  

Then later on a different Roku in another room, was watching the Tigers-Pirates game.  Was playing fine for a few innings, then all of a sudden it started stuttering really bad.  Switched to the radio audio track, and the stuttering went away.

Has anybody else noticed the stuttering disappears if you switch to the radio broadcast?

One advantage of the radio track is that it mutes all of the repetitive MLB.TV commercials.  Its just too bad that you have to re-select the audio track every time you begin playing a game from the main MLB.TV screen.

Yeah I just plugged in my old 1080p Chromecast and am streaming games with that because I don’t have to deal with commercials. thankfully MLB hasn’t figured out a way to ruin that yet.
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
0 Kudos
ehren88888
Level 7

"tacksixer" wrote:

It’s been like that for years. I have 115mbps thru Spectrum and MLB servers barely break 10mbps
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

"ehren88888" wrote:
"tacksixer" wrote:

It’s been like that for years. I have 115mbps thru Spectrum and MLB servers barely break 10mbps

i just tested again. it varies between 12500 mbs to 718 kps on mlb.tv bandwidth tester, all within the time frame of 1 minute.  when i call mlb.com support they blame the low speed as the reason for stuttering and crashing; which is bs because netflix amazon prime ect ect ect never have this problem on my roku. i did find some interesting information on reddit mlbstreams and that option is looking better all the time. i'm tired of fighting mlb.com.
0 Kudos
evo34
Level 7

What's the story?  Do we have to cancel and ask for a refund?  I'm not paying $100 for something that doesn't work well.
0 Kudos