Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tacksixer
Level 7

Re: MLBTV Freezing and Choppy v2

how to access remote radio broadcast on roku 2?

also i encourage all mlb.tv users to blast mlb.tv on twitter
0 Kudos

Me too. Created an account just to post this. I bought a Roku Express 3900R to watch the Olympics a couple of months ago. It has worked flawlessly for that, Netflix and Prime. But since baseball started I have discovered that watching games via the MLB app is nearly impossible. Poor resolution, buffering every minute or so. Other apps work fine and internet connection is good. It's like it isn't using the bandwidth that is available to it. Going back to ancient smart Bluray player until Roku/MLB sorts this out.
0 Kudos
QuickMick
Level 7

Well, djhb... (your username just rolls off the tongue)...,

I suggest trying the "pause/play" workaround. Basically, when the MLB.tv stream gets choppy or freezes, press the "pause" button then immediately press the "play" button (they're the same button). I usually do the same process a second time too. It just takes a few seconds, and most of the time it re-syncs the video with the audio and everything plays smooth again. Many times you will get to enjoy a few innings of stutter-free video, but sometimes the stutter comes back again quickly so you have to do the "pause/play" procedure again. It's not perfect, but it's a reasonable workaround until Roku/MLB.tv get this worked out. Personally, I hope they get it worked out promptly - it's very obvious that there is a problem with Roku 3 (and below) playing MLB.tv, perhaps an audio-visual sync issue. If I use HBO or something else on Roku 3, no streaming problems with choppy or freezing video. Also, if I use MLB.tv on Amazon FireTV, I have no trouble with resolution or choppy/freezing video. So clearly the issue is narrowed to Roku 3 and the MLB.tv app.
0 Kudos
joelaudadio
Level 7

Hello all,

Just a quick update. I watched 2 full games last night on my Roku 3 and not a single problem. No need to switch audio feeds and no reason to pause. This is the first time all season I've been able to utilize my roku 3 without incident all season long. Maybe things are getting better? Has anyone experienced the same positive outcomes?

Now on another note...one thing I've noticed since the Roku issues and needed to switch to the Amazon Fire stick just to watch MLB...there is a significant difference in the picture quality! I own a basic LG 1080i HD TV which has a pretty phenomenal picture. However, the MLB Network looks LIGHT YEARS better on the firestick as compared to the Roku. I then went into Hulu on my firestick... Something I have not done as of yet because I never had any issues streaming anything else on my Roku, and I must say even that looked better than my Roku device. I am sad to say that it might possibly be that the Roku is an inferior product. I absolutely love the layout of the Roku and I believe it's much easier to navigate than the firestick, however picture quality is very important to me and I am slowly transitioning over to using the firestick more often. With that being said, I'm hoping that the Roku problems with MLB Network are behind us all soon. Good luck to everybody and I will continue to keep everyone posted should I have more issues moving forward with the Roku and MLB.
0 Kudos
QuickMick
Level 7

Joelaudadio, you basically raised two points:  1. Is Roku3/MLB.tv choppy video solved? And 2. Is Roku video inferior to other streaming devices like FireStick?

1. I saw several games yesterday (4/21/18), and some played reasonably smooth, but others still had that irritating choppiness. I use a "quick fix" to circumvent it (i.e. press "pause" button then press "play" button, then repeat that sequence) and it smooths out for a while. But, at least for me and my Roku3, the problem is NOT fixed yet. In contrast, when I watch MLB.tv on my Amazon FireTV, the video is flawless. No choppiness whatsoever, and frankly, the video quality is much sharper and more crisp. But I too prefer the Roku3's interface over the FireTV interface.

2. Video quality... As alluded to above, I find the video quality of the FireTV to be far superior to the Roku3. It's not even close. This is not just with MLB.tv, but with other streaming content too, such as HBO, ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. Admittedly, my FireTV is relatively new whereas my Roku3 is relatively old, so the FireTV probably has a newer and more powerful graphics processor. If I could get the Roku3 interface on the FireTV, I would use the FireTV exclusively. However, another thing I've noticed is that the screen-mirroring capabilities of the Roku3 are better than the FireTV, so if I'm casting from my laptop or phone to the TV, I prefer to do that with the Roku3 rather than the FireTV. That's my 2 cents.

Please - Roku and MLB.tv - please get together and fix this irritating video choppiness issue. Your users have clearly stated there IS a problem, they have clearly defined it, and they have provided excellent feedback to help narrow the issue. Please fix it and please do so promptly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

0 Kudos
igmond
Level 7

I am having the same issue with all of my Roku's.  Why is this taking so long to correct?  Seems like it would be an easy fix to revert back to the 2017 settings/software, since that worked fine.
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

Mine is doing this too, it's become unbearable. Got advice from MLB.TV support last night to change the DNS server. That's not encouraging news. I'll try it later today, but the performance of the app on Roku shouldn't have to depend on requiring paying customers to perform various bits of jiggery-pokery.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

i watched yanks vs twins last night using espn app on roku with zero issues.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL US?
0 Kudos
mstat60
Level 7

It’s painfully clear that this is a MLB TV issue and not a Roku issue (I’ve also read a lot of similar complaints with the Amazon Fire Stick). I called and requested a refund and it was approved within two days. I’m bummed out because I love watching baseball, but couldn’t see paying for their unwatchable product. I’ve considered an Apple TV device, or upgrading to a smart TV that wouldn’t need any device to access the Apps, but at this point I’m not willing to spend a bunch of money just to take a chance this won’t happen with other options. You’d think that any MLB product would be top notch, considering the huge amounts of money they’re raking in. Unfortunately they play dumb and act/talk like they aren’t aware of this. Too bad. I suppose if many thousands of subscribers would cancel they’d get off their a$& and fix this. We as consumers do have the power to force change!
0 Kudos