Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomorrowsman
Level 7

Re: MLBTV Freezing and Choppy v2

Then why is this only happening on Roku?  And why only on Roku do I have to watch the same half dozen ads over and over and over again, a dozen times or more each per game, and trying to fast forward only FFWDs to the beginning of the next repeat of the ads, and if I then FFWD past THOSE ads do I get to see the game, but only in the lowest possible audio and video quality?  This does not happen on the Amazon FireTV, not on the desktop, not over Chromecast.....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mstat60
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"tomorrowsman" wrote:
Same issue, Roku 3, Red Sox vs. Texas.

I heard Roku is only doing this to people who try to skip the ads - given I already paid for my internet, and already paid Roku for the device, and already paid MLB for the subscription, isn't this actionable, especially considering they did it in the fine print of announcing they are discontinuing support of the Roku 3? Discontinuing support is one thing, but purposely handicapping a paid subscription seems definitely actionable.

No, Roku is not doing this to people who skip ads.  It's an issue that MLBTv is working on.  I don't have a status update on the issue at this time.

Status update?  Of course you don't have a status update.  Your'e NEVER going to get a status update from MLB TV, because they don't care!  That's pretty clear to me!  What everyone needs to do is cancel their subscription and THEN they might act on it.  The only way these huge conglomerates act is when they're hit in the pocketbook!
0 Kudos
meyerra
Level 7

So, I do think MLB is listening - a bit.  I got this email in response to a rather detailed complaint I made.  My answers are in RED.  I have watched on a laptop and desktop without any problems (even watching both at the same time --- problem on Roku, not on the laptop), so I believe this is a Roku app problem.  The Roku feed is noticeably delayed in time relative to the version directly from MLB.  I wish somebody at Roku would look into this.
OK, I gave the answers to most of these questions in my submission, but I will try once more.

On 5/5/2018 6:59 PM, MLB Subscriptions wrote:

Dear Fan,

Thank you for your inquiry. Please answer the following questions to assist us in troubleshooting.

What device(s) are you using?
A: Roku 3.  Using the MLB app.  And yes, I have logged out, removed the app, updated the Roku to current software version, reset the Roku, and reinstalled the MLB app. None of those made any difference.  If you look at the Roku User Forums, you will see 118 submissions, the most recent being April 26, 2018, complaining about exactly this problem.  It is clearly not isolated to just me.  
What is the bandwidth? (you may check by visiting http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html)
A: As measured from you web site, using a wireless connected laptop - Random freezes of the video only (audio continues just fine).  It can go several minutes with no problem, then starts up with frequent, repeated freezes.  
What game and feed are you attempting to access?
A: Today watching Yankees vs  Cleveland on YES, watching live.  But this has happened on many games, not just Yankees.  Early part of today's game there were very few instances.  Then about 2:53, bottom of the 7th inning, with second batter up (Sanchez), frequent, short freezes. Each lasts only a second or two, but because they are frequent, it really makes watching difficult.  Again at 3:10, top of the 8th inning, frequent, longer freezes. These lasted long enough and came so frequently that it appears a series of still frames rather than regular motion video.  It also does it sometimes during the commercials. Still continuting, much worse at 3:14.  Freezing lasting several seconds, immediately followed by another long freeze. At 3:16, audio perfectly fine, but the video now is just one frozen frame after another, no motion at all.  Someone posted on the Roku forum that hitting pause and play would temporarily fix the problem.  So, at 3:17 I tried that.  After pushing play, the freezing has appeared to be at much less frequent intervals and shorter freezes.
Does the behavior occur on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet?
A: My Roku 3 is only wifi.  I have watched a couple of times on a wireless laptop, using Chrome, and haven't seen it happen.  I believe it is strictly a Roku/MLB app problem.
When did this behavior start to occur?
A: It started this season, about mid-April.  It was NEVER a problem last year.  Has happened on almost all games I have watched this season.  This includes several different Astro games and a few others that I don't remember.
What browser(s) have you attempted to view on? (If PC/Mac)
A: Roku 3 --- no browser.  I have used my laptop with Chrome without a problem.

Regards,
Major League Baseball Customer Support
ref:_00D1aJpU6._5001aaYzNB:ref
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

I jumped through a lot of hoops with MLB support too. They seemed to think I needed to change my DNS servers. 
I have tried the "hit pause, wait a while, then resume" advice mentioned upthread. Which seemed to work temporarily. But then it's no longer live, which is what we're paying for, no?
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

if you want mlb.tv attention to the problem you need to light them up on twitter.
https://twitter.com/MLBTV

of course they will act concerned, but will do nothing unless the hate tweets get overwhelming.
0 Kudos
QuickMick
Level 7

"4d3fect" wrote:
I jumped through a lot of hoops with MLB support too. They seemed to think I needed to change my DNS servers. 
I have tried the "hit pause, wait a while, then resume" advice mentioned upthread. Which seemed to work temporarily. But then it's no longer live, which is what we're paying for, no?

Two quick points. First, when you hit pause, you don't have to wait a while -you can immediately hit the play button again. I usually do that procedure twice, but it only takes 2 seconds and you're not delayed by much. You might be able to hit FF until you're back to live action (haven't tried that though). Second, I think MLB.tv has a slight delay compared to live TV anyway. I'm on a chat board during some games and the guys watching live TV are already cheering about something that hasn't happened yet on my MLB.tv feed, even if I'm watching on Amazon FireTV or something OTHER THAN the Roku 3. So I think there is inherently a slight delay with MLB.tv compared to live TV, so it's never really "live" in that sense. For me, it's "live" enough, if only they could fix that video stutter/freeze problem with MLB.tv on the Roku 3 device.
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

"QuickMick" wrote:
"4d3fect" wrote:

Two quick points. First, when you hit pause, you don't have to wait a while -you can immediately hit the play button again. I usually do that procedure twice, but it only takes 2 seconds and you're not delayed by much. You might be able to hit FF until you're back to live action (haven't tried that though). Second, I think MLB.tv has a slight delay compared to live TV anyway. I'm on a chat board during some games and the guys watching live TV are already cheering about something that hasn't happened yet on my MLB.tv feed, even if I'm watching on Amazon FireTV or something OTHER THAN the Roku 3. So I think there is inherently a slight delay with MLB.tv compared to live TV, so it's never really "live" in that sense. For me, it's "live" enough, if only they could fix that video stutter/freeze problem with MLB.tv on the Roku 3 device.

Fair enough. Have you (or anyone else watching this thread) attempted changing the DNS servers, and if so, can you share your experience? Doesn't seem like a good way to approach the problems with the app.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
Verta
Level 7

I have noticed that I can get the app to shift the resolution up by hitting the ten second replay button. ALmost always works, of course I have to relive the last ten seconds but it's a lot sharper.
0 Kudos
QuickMick
Level 7

4d3fect - No, I have not tried changing DNS servers. I don't know how. I'm not even sure what that does, but it definitely doesn't seem like a practical fix for most fans. Frankly, I got so sick of this problem that I am using other streaming devices (e.g. Amazon FireTV) and my Roku3 is rapidly becoming obsolete. If they don't fix this problem soon, I will probably retire that thing for good. I'm annoyed, frankly. This is clearly a problem many fans are experiencing, and it's clearly narrowed down to MLB.tv and Roku3 (and maybe earlier models). We are neither getting a reasonable explanation nor are we getting reassurance that this problem will be fixed soon. There are too many other options to play around like this.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

This thread has reached the 5-page threshold and will be locked.  Please feel free to open a new thread (and provide a link in the OP to this thread).

<Edit: New Thread>
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos