Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skiflyer
Level 7

MLB commercials

I thought I'd get dead air for MLB TV commercials, but instead I'm watching TV commercials about 90% of the time, and getting the dead air the other 10%. Did something change, or do I need to flip a setting somewhere to get the dead air I desire?
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

"skiflyer" wrote:
I thought I'd get dead air for MLB TV commercials, but instead I'm watching TV commercials about 90% of the time, and getting the dead air the other 10%. Did something change, or do I need to flip a setting somewhere to get the dead air I desire?

There is a button on your TV's or receiver's remote called "mute" that will pretty much give you what you want.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"skiflyer" wrote:
I thought I'd get dead air for MLB TV commercials, but instead I'm watching TV commercials about 90% of the time, and getting the dead air the other 10%. Did something change, or do I need to flip a setting somewhere to get the dead air I desire?

There is a button on your TV's or receiver's remote called "mute" that will pretty much give you what you want.

Unhelpful, unless you live for waiting for innings to start/end and have nothing better to do. 

OP: I don't use the MLB app anymore, but I remember sometimes commercials would come through. Does this only happen with certain teams/games? It could be someone asleep at the wheel. As far as I know, the app still isn't supposed to show commercials. 
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: MLB commercials

NFL is the same way now.  They used to have no commercials, now they have commercials.  They need to monetize, it is what it is and I'm impressed either service ever launched without commercials.
0 Kudos
skiflyer
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

I've only been watching Cubs games, so I don't know about teams, but I also use AppleTV and it reliably blocks all the commercials for the same games so I don't think it's a monetization issue, I think it's a technical one.
0 Kudos
Tekneek
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

In my limited experience (I sometimes watch the free game of the day), these appear to be advertisements injected into the MLB.TV product (not commercials that you would see if you were watching the TV broadcast of the game). They were doing this with NHL.TV this past season as well.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

"Tekneek" wrote:
In my limited experience (I sometimes watch the free game of the day), these appear to be advertisements injected into the MLB.TV product (not commercials that you would see if you were watching the TV broadcast of the game). They were doing this with NHL.TV this past season as well.

Commercials for what? I remember the occasional promo spot with classic baseball plays, but no commercials. 
0 Kudos
Tekneek
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

There were definitely commercials during the free game last night, but I honestly don't recall any specific content details (that's how little attention I gave them).
0 Kudos

Re: MLB commercials

MLB.TV started running commercials and promos betweem innings about a week ago. The tend to do this for two or three week stretches once or twice a season. History says these commercial s and promos will disappear one day soon.
0 Kudos
skiflyer
Level 7

Re: MLB commercials

"scottypie1234" wrote:
MLB.TV started running commercials and promos betweem innings about a week ago. The tend to do this for two or three week stretches once or twice a season. History says these commercial s and promos will disappear one day soon.

I really hope this is all that's going on. I remember last year when they did their own commercials, but that was obviously what was going on with my AppleTV. These commercials on the Roku seem to be the broadcast ones getting through the filter. 
0 Kudos