Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tedbrown888
Level 7

Re: MLB.TV 2018 on Roku devices

"bvd1022" wrote:
"tedbrown888" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:

I actually prefer something to look at during commercials. The commercial break is in progress screen with no music at all can be dragging especially if you're watching a game that goes through a lot of pitching changes. This however, has nothing to do with Roku as it is the same across devices. 

This is where a 2 minute skip forward is (or has been) perfect. I only used the Roku because that was where I was able to get that to work. There were ways to skip on pc and TiVo, my other 2 devices, but this year's apps are pretty bad at that (so far). The trouble is, once you've gotten used to being able to skip 2 minutes ahead reliably and quickly, it's really painful to lose that.

In regard to that, I remain firm in my stance that if DirecTV/AT&T are going to make new equipment (Satellite receivers) that do exactly what the current line of equipment does including, but not limited to being able to use a DVD recorder/VCR for personal/private use, but for the newer equipment to be for DirecTV Now, if I can get exactly what I receive now via the newer equipment, still use my DVD recorder, and not have to worry about losing my satellite signal, I would definitely consider transferring over. As far as MLB, it would be nice if they added some documentaries to the app. I became a fan of MLB Network’s Baseball’s Seasons and Triumph and Tragedy series, but you rarely see them broadcast them on the network unless it’s a holiday or during the offseason.

One thing that really irks me with regard to the Mets is they have a ton of documentary-style shows on their network Sportsnet New York, akin to what the Yankees put on Yes Network with their Yankeeography series, but unless Yes, I can’t get access to Mets Yearbook and other documentaries they have unless it is during a rain delay, otherwise it gets blocked out because I’m not in New York. Seeing as MLB produces some, if not all of that content for those regional networks, if they added the documentaries under say a favorite teams tab within the MLB TV app, it would get a lot more use from me personally and I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. Just my opinion.  

The 2 minute skip I mentioned is a "feature" I have implemented in a tcl/tk app I wrote for my several android phones and tablets. Now that they are showing ads, I can see why mlb wouldn't like everyone to have that. At least you can skip the ads on the roku, unlike on the PC where they lock out the controls while an ad is playing.

I used to have direct/tv but can't afford to pay $100 a month. I've gone to an OTA tivo and internet (amazon prime, netflix, curiostitystream etc.) for a lot less.

Happily I've now had some success in re-implementing my mlb remote app. To skip 2 minutes, I send a fwd (fast forward) followed by an 8 second delay, then sending select 3 times mostly works.

I don't use the fast forward directly on the remote because it causes a spoiler - it brings up the timeline and shows the length and current position of the game.  By having my 2 minute skip programmed in with just 1 button push, I can close my eyes or look away to avoid the spoilers.

To skip to a particular 1/2 inning, I now send a back command, wait 30 seconds until the grid of games comes back up (this used to take only 5 seconds) then I can send the remaining commands to drill down to the vertical list of 1/2 innings. In the past, only going to the 8th inning or later would create an extra innings spoiler (as it shows only 9th inning w/o top and bottom if the game does not go to extras). Now, the list creates a spoiler at just the 5th inning. So, I need to look away until I hear the final select command that switches back to the game.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a control freak or perhaps just obsessive/compulsive. In fact, I only watch archived games 1 day late to beat the blackout rules.

BTW, here's a guide to controlling the roku from a linux device using the curl command. On android, I program in tcl/tk using androwish which has a very nice GUI toolkit plus an easy to use http package. I can write scripts for android and never have to deal with java.

http://a-more-common-hades.blogspot.com ... -line.html
0 Kudos
Highlighted
aguero90
Level 7

If anyone has a ps4 and has mlb app, I can't figure out how to find audio overlay anymore. Pressing triangle doesn't bring up menu like it used to. At least I have the roku, but if anyone figures it out let me know. I always like to have backups!
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4d3fect
Level 7

"aguero90" wrote:
If anyone has a ps4 and has mlb app, I can't figure out how to find audio overlay anymore. Pressing triangle doesn't bring up menu like it used to. At least I have the roku, but if anyone figures it out let me know. I always like to have backups!

Don't have a PS4, sorry, but usually don't see it offered on ST games, they've always offered it up on regular season games though, I expect that'll happen again this year. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center this link has info you can use to chat directly with the MLB support folks, might be of help
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tedbrown888
Level 7

"4d3fect" wrote:
"aguero90" wrote:

Don't have a PS4, sorry, but usually don't see it offered on ST games, they've always offered it up on regular season games though, I expect that'll happen again this year. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center this link has info you can use to chat directly with the MLB support folks, might be of help

On my remote, the * key brings up the CC and audio choices menu.

When I try that support link, I don't see any way (other than calling on the phone) to chat, the several chat buttons bring up only a robot virtual assistant, which is quite useless.

I've now been watching a few games and the quality of the stream is often very glitchy - short (1/4 second) dropouts, which causes burps in the audio and a short video glitch. Hopefully they'll iron that out. Haven't figured out if these are in the stream itself, or network. I've got 100mb down and these glitches do not seem like buffering problems.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4d3fect
Level 7

My apologies, you're right. The app is all different now. Hmmm...hope it doesn't suck so bad by season opener...
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
Highlighted
aguero90
Level 7

"4d3fect" wrote:
My apologies, you're right. The app is all different now. Hmmm...hope it doesn't suck so bad by season opener...
There's a huge error they need to fix ASAP! When using radio track on roku, every few minutes, the stream always gives an error and you have to restart. I hope that's fixed by opening day.
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
makaiguy
Level 12

Reminder re minimizing subscription costs

For the last several years, MLB has offered a half-off deal for the remainder of the MLB.TV season for a few days around both Mothers Day and Fathers Day. 

So for the last couple of years, here's what I've done.  I subscribe to MLB-At Bat (audio-only service, but does give you video for whatever they choose as the Game of the Day) for about $20/season.  I can get by for a while with Game of the Day when it features "my team", the nationally televised network games for my team, plus the occasional game when they play the local team where I live.  Then when the MLB.TV half-off deal is offered, I jump on it with both feet.  This year I realized I could reduce cost even further by subscribing to At Bat on the $3/month plan and canceling after subscribing to the half-off video package, since that also includes At Bat audio.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AeRoSpaceman
Level 7

For those who use T-Mobile on March 27th 2018 you get a free MLB.TV Subscription. Should work on Roku. Very good deal IMO.

Step up to the plate with T‑Mobile® Tuesdays and get a FREE MLB.TVsubscription—a $115.99 value! Stream every out‑of‑market game live from just about anywhere on all supported devices. 
Check your T‑Mobile Tuesdays app beginning March 27 through April 2 
OTA Antenna "Actual Rabbit Ears", 42" JVC EM42FTR, Roku Streaming Stick (MHL :-)) 3400x (1EL54H001869) (ROKU Beta)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ElPengwino
Level 7

"tedbrown888" wrote:
"ElPengwino" wrote:
Has anyone noticed the new mlb.tv interface is much slower to load than before? I'm not having buffering issues - just the channel itself and the home screen is really slow to load up. Games themselves playing fine.

I've noticed that too now that I just got the update. All last season I blocked updates so I could use the previous version of the app, which was much more responsive. However, this year, that app won't work and I had to finally update it. It is g-d awful slow. I only watch archived games, one day late, so I can follow my home teams.

I have a Roku-1 2710x. I was wondering if maybe a new Roku box might help speed things up. I hate to give em any more money, especially if it's not gonna help.
Mostly I'm struggling to find a way to still have a one button go to inning and do 2 minute skips, which I've had the last 2 years using the old app plus a custom remote with macros. 

Hi tedbrown888
I had a NOW TV stick given to me as part of a promo (I'm in the UK and this is a rebranded version of the Roku streaming stick I believe but with fewer apps). I tried MLB TV on it and it's running as it should - so much more quickly than the older Roku. Annoyingly the Now stick doesn't have Netflix and Amazon so I'm having to use both the Roku and Now stick but MLB is definitely responisve on the newer hardware (and on the cheapest Roku hardware too I think?). Hope this helps.
Pengwino
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tedbrown888
Level 7

"ElPengwino" wrote:
"tedbrown888" wrote:
"ElPengwino" wrote:
Has anyone noticed the new mlb.tv interface is much slower to load than before? I'm not having buffering issues - just the channel itself and the home screen is really slow to load up. Games themselves playing fine.

I've noticed that too now that I just got the update. All last season I blocked updates so I could use the previous version of the app, which was much more responsive. However, this year, that app won't work and I had to finally update it. It is g-d awful slow. I only watch archived games, one day late, so I can follow my home teams.

I have a Roku-1 2710x. I was wondering if maybe a new Roku box might help speed things up. I hate to give em any more money, especially if it's not gonna help.
Mostly I'm struggling to find a way to still have a one button go to inning and do 2 minute skips, which I've had the last 2 years using the old app plus a custom remote with macros. 

Hi tedbrown888
I had a NOW TV stick given to me as part of a promo (I'm in the UK and this is a rebranded version of the Roku Express I believe but with fewer apps). I tried MLB TV on it and it's running as it should - so much more quickly than the older Roku. Annoyingly the Now stick doesn't have Netflix and Amazon so I'm having to use both the Roku and Now stick but MLB is definitely responisve on the newer hardware (and on the cheapest Roku hardware too I think?). Hope this helps.
Pengwino

Do you know if the newer roku has the same mlb app? That is, does it look the same, I'd really hate to have to use yet another app? The app on the tivo looks similar, but it is actually quite different. Only on my roku can I now go directly to a particular inning. That is not working on either the tivo or pc apps, a feature they advertise, and maybe will work after spring training.

I've found now that there's a spot in a march 4 2018 game with the giants and dodgers in the first inning, 17th or 18th pitch (a low pitch) where it glitches every time I go to it on the roku, but not on my tivo or in the pc and not on the roku if I choose the giants feed (i.e. only glitches on the dodgers feed at this exact spot).  I'm going to call support soon.

I'm also tempted to just get a new $30 roku express from amazon. Maybe that would help. I only use the roku for 3 channels, mlb, amazon video, and curriostystream which has an annoying flicker (bug?) after I go back to the list of programs. Maybe that would get fixed too with a new device.
0 Kudos