Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tacksixer
Level 7

Re: MLB Freezing & Choppy v3

"smfone" wrote:
Random sort of question, and I believe I’ve seen this in another thread somewhere but I can’t seem to find it now that I’m looking for it (of course)...
Are all of you guys seeing the SAME 3-4 ads I am? OVER AND OVER during breaks, where there used to be NO ads, then later there were clips from classic moments... Now we have Samsung and Verizon and whatever other poo they love throwing in there 4 times an inning... Do you all see them, too?
Do you get them on Firestick?

on roku and firetv yes same ads over and over. im getting scotts lawn fertilizer and verizon crap.
YES the classic moments from mlb are gone. i saw them only in preseason.
you knew they (mlb) would rather sell ads in those spots.
on my macbook i never see ads during mlb.tv games. im running some ad block plus and ublock and maybe that eliminates them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sparek
Level 7

"srglassw" wrote:
I think the problem is that MLB is not able to maintain a stable streaming bandwidth and this manifests in different ways on different devices. Running MLB's bandwidth test I have had results ranging from 700 Kbps to over 15,000 Kbps. On the Roku 3 bandwidth drops cause pauses, dropped frames and jerky video. On other devices a drop in bandwidth has different effects.

The issue I have with this assumption is that the issue seems to go away (or at least is less aggressive) if you switch to using the radio broadcast overlay.  Unless the radio overlay is encoded at a significantly lower bitrate.

I really don't know where the issue is at.  I don't recall having this issue last year, so I think something changed between last year and this year and they haven't worked out that bug yet, if they're even working on that bug.  And they is yet to be determined (is it a Roku issue or an MLB issue?)

It could be a bandwidth issue, but I'd just think that the radio overlay would also be affected by this.  I'd also think the issue would show itself on other devices if this were the case, although I suppose other devices may be buffering more than the Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
t_tttt
Level 7

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.  I have been an MLB/Roku subscriber for over 5 years and I definitely see this stuttering/freezing problem using my Roku3.
Configuration:  I have 2 Rokus (different TV's) - a Roku3 and a Roku 3500XB Streaming Stick.  The Roku Stick runs wireless with 1080p screen resolution.  The Roku3 runs WIRED at 720p screen resolution.  Both Rokus have the latest system updates installed.
My Internet:  Cox high speed internet: 150Mbps download; actual download speed is consistently above 120Mbps, as measured by speedtest.net
This stuttering/freezing problem exists ONLY on my Roku3 - the Roku Stick does NOT have these same problems - even though it runs wireless at a higher resolution(compared to wired at a lower resolution with my Roku3)
I have tried running the Roku3 wireless; the problem seems worse that way.  I used to run the Roku3 at 1080p, but I dropped it down to 720p to see if it helped; it didn't.

The ONE thing that has helped this problem for me is to adjust a setting on my router.  I have a Linksys EA7300 router, and it has a setting called "Media Prioritization" that allows you to give priority to one device over the others on your network.  I wasn't using it until yesterday when I gave priority to (only) my Roku3 using this router setting.  It did seem to help quite a bit when watching yesterday's game.

To me, it looks like there is something unique in the Roku3 hardware that doesn't react to the MLB signal the same way as it does when I use the Roku Stick.

It is very frustrating to me to have Roku and MLB each pointing to the other to fix the problem.  Are you listening, Roku?  Your users are suffering and will go elsewhere if a solution isn't found soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sparek
Level 7

I also have a Roku 3 and I'm experiencing this problem.

You may be on to something.  It may be something specific to just the Roku 3.

Still, not sure why it worked fine last year but not this year.

If it is only Roku 3 that is having this problem, then this would seem to indicate that the issue is with the Roku side of things and not the MLB side of things.

Perhaps this is Roku's way of forcing us Roku 3 users to spend more money and upgrade to a new Roku device, a la Apple and their iphone slow downs.... Sorry, left my tinfoil hat at home so all of these conspiracy theories are getting into my head.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4d3fect
Level 7

Not unique to Roku 3 , I've got a 3100X (Roku 2XS) and can't watch a game without freezing/stuttering. Last year was good. Also, my experience of changing the audio overlay doesn't solve the choppiness. I think someone else hit the nail on the head. MLB has optimized the app for mobile devices and doesn't have any incentive to fix any other apps.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tacksixer
Level 7

i hooked up a brand new top shelf firetv yesterday

picture is really good.

stuttering, freezing and low res picture still occur occasionally  

im confident this is a mlb.tv issue.

i have been a mlb.tv customer since it's inception.

almost every year there have been problems, which they normally fix by mid season.

last year my roku 2 did not work well until mlb.tv allowed me to rollback my mlb.tv to the previous years simple channel.

this year i was not given any choice, and my old roku 2 had problems with the amount of data from the new mlb.tv channel

my new firetv can handle the amount of data from the new mlb.tv channel loading much quicker but here we are still facing streaming issues.

mlb.tv blows the long purple appendage hanging beneath a donkey
0 Kudos
Highlighted
VectorGamer
Level 7

One would think that MLB would have the financial resources to figure out this streaming crap. I was a sub for a few years and it seems like whenever spring training would end they would make a catastrophic change that would make the service unusable in time for the regular season.

I decided to give them another try this year. I cancelled 1 day after signing up.

Here's what I noticed though: I have a Roku 3 out in my living room and the stream was unwatchable. In my bedroom I have a Roku Ultra and I didn't have any problems.

Yet, no other streaming services have problems on my Roku 3.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
t_tttt
Level 7

Hmmmm..... So from reading various posts here, it looks like this problem exists on the Roku3 and the Roku2 XS(3100X) hardware, but it does NOT exist using the Roku Ultra or the (much older) 3500XB Streaming Stick.  I still think there may be something unique to the way certain Roku hardware handles the stream presented by MLB and it looks like it may be in that Roku2/Roku3 vintage hardware.  The older stuff and the newer stuff don't seem to have the problem.   I have an ancient Roku1 in a box in my closet.  Maybe I'll get it out and try that one - just for fun.

Roku support:  Are you following this thread?  Do you know of any certain characteristics unique to the Roku2/Roku3 hardware that would cause just the MLB stream exhibit this freezing/choppy behavior?

BTW:  After watching several games with the "Media Prioritization" set to Roku3 in my Linysys router, (see my previous post) I'd like to report that this problem is greatly improved.  It's not gone - I do hit pause once in a while when things start to get choppy.   It only takes a second or so to help it rebuffer, and things get back to normal.   (Of course, I do have a VERY fast internet connection, and my Roku3 is running wired - not wireless.)  The game is much more "watchable" with this router setting, but I'm still unhappy and want this problem FIXED. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tommy5725
Level 7

"VectorGamer" wrote:

Here's what I noticed though: I have a Roku 3 out in my living room and the stream was unwatchable. In my bedroom I have a Roku Ultra and I didn't have any problems.

Yet, no other streaming services have problems on my Roku 3.

Early on when I first started this thread it was acknowledged that there was an issue with the Roku 3 and the MLB app. I'm sure there are other people that have similar or other issues with other devices.

I was also told they were having issues replicating the problem to fix it. I offered to send them mine free of charge, no questions asked. No takers on either end(to my father-in-laws delight). That will tell you all you need to know about either parties plans to "fix" the issue. Am I happy about this? No. But the truth is, this is only effecting a small segment of viewers. Additionally, I see no value in bitching about Roku or MLB. The fact of the matter is Roku pioneered and paved the way for all the streaming services we enjoy today. I have owned and enjoyed Roku devices sense the first one.

I just went out and bought a Roku Ultra. And it's just as RokuShawnS said it would be: NO CHOPPY VIDEO NO FREEZING; WORKS PERFECTLY.

I think that MLB should take the position that it no longer supports the Roku 3. But I'm not going to complain about MLB either. I wish the NFL made it so easy to get all the games, without having to sign my entire viewing package over to DirecTV. Now DirecTV I could write pages bitching about... But I'll spare you all.

So to all involved, in a nutshell: if you have a Roku 3 and you're experiencing choppy freezing video during MLB games then that's a known issue. If you wish to continue watching baseball, changing the audio to the radio broadcast helps a little bit and double pressing the pause/play button seems to fix the issue every time it hangs up. As frustrating as that maybe your alternative is to buy a different Roku, or use another other device or method.

Best of luck, and best wishes to all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tacksixer
Level 7

dont waste money purchasing an new roku or fire tv.

i now own. roku 2,
roku 4 ultra
and fire tv

ALL WORK THE SAME.
PICTURE QUALITY IS THE SAME
OCCASIONAL FREEZING AND CHOPPY THE SAME.

THIS IS A MLB.TV ISSUE. i suggest it is a bandwidth problems with their servers.
0 Kudos