Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehren88888
Level 7

MLB Freezing & Choppy v3

MLB still can’t get the FSN-Wisconsin and WTMJ-620 audio overlay in sync. IT’S MAY 10th!!!!!!!!!!!!

<Edit: Older Thread>
Roku streaming stick 3600R
115meg down cable Internet 10mb up Spectrum internet
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
0 Kudos
51 Replies
tacksixer
Level 7

Re: MLB Freezing & Choppy v3

all mlb.tv subscribers are merely test subjects

used and abused while paying for a inferior service

the rest of the universe figured out streaming without a hitch

to mlb.tv we are all just their bitch
0 Kudos
Highlighted
joelaudadio
Level 7

Not for nothing...Roku doesn't seem to care much either any longer. What started as a sympathetic, chatty moderator in this forum has quickly turned to the same attitude as that of MLB. "It is what it is".

Quite frankly, my entire experience has completely turned me off to all Roku devices. I will no longer be buying those products as I await the ones I currently own to become completely obselete.

While I undoubtedly believe this is "more" of an MLB issue, Roku has not done much to research it and attempt to resolve it. Their feedback on the issue is the EXACT same feedback I've received from MLB themselves...pure non-essential information, repetitive requests to restart, remove, wipe out completely, and in my IDIOTIC case, purchase a brand new product only to have the same issue. Oh, and I forgot to mention the fact that they blamed it all on my modem, router, and network connection when in fact I have enough bandwidth to run a small country.

I'm not crazy about the layout of the firestick. With that being said, ALL the channels are FAR superior in video quality as compared to the Roku. In essence, I guess that's what we all want. The best viewing and navigation experience possible.

It's just a shame it took a defective channel's streaming service and TWO companies neglectful attitudes for me to realize there were much better products available to the customer. Roku...you are your own worst enemy.

Roku's inability to improve their product and remain complacent is exactly why they will end up like TiVO. Non-existent. Sorry for the rant..but I'm done giving the Roku support department a free pass. At this point, the only work I see being done is closing out a thread when it reaches 5 pages.

Ironically, he doesn't even have the decency to open a new one and waits for the complaining customer to do it.
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

is firestick working well?

if that is the case?

no problem i will get one and to H3LL with roku

agreed we are being played for chumps
0 Kudos
sparek
Level 7

I think all of this means that evidently there is nobody that works at Roku that follows MLB.

And it would also appear that there is nobody that works for MLB that watches MLB games on a Roku.

Kind of strange being that I thought these were two rather large companies and surely there's an MLB fan that uses a Roku with mlb.tv among them, but evidently not.  From a diagnostic standpoint, I can kind of see their dilemma.  It's hard for someone with the diagnostic toolset to diagnose a problem without seeing it.  But unfortunately the ones that see the problem (all us that have complained in these 3 threads) don't have diagnostics available to them.  And the ones that do have the diagnostics available to them (Roku and/or MLB video people) don't watch MLB on Roku.

I don't recall having this problem last year.  So it would appear that something changed between last year and this year, perhaps unbeknownst to the parties involved.
0 Kudos
srglassw
Level 7

I think the problem is that MLB is not able to maintain a stable streaming bandwidth and this manifests in different ways on different devices. Running MLB's bandwidth test I have had results ranging from 700 Kbps to over 15,000 Kbps. On the Roku 3 bandwidth drops cause pauses, dropped frames and jerky video. On other devices a drop in bandwidth has different effects. I have given up on Roku and MLB fixing this issue and I now stream games on a Windows media PC conected to my TV. I'm not experiencing the video issues that the Roku 3 does. From time to time I do notice the video resolution drop for a few seconds, probably due to a bandwidth fluctuation, but the video stream remains otherwise stable.

I'm no expert on this but I believe that the jerky video issue on Roku 3 would disappear if MLB could provide a stable streaming bandwidth.
0 Kudos
tacksixer
Level 7

"srglassw" wrote:
I think the problem is that MLB is not able to maintain a stable streaming bandwidth and this manifests in different ways on different devices. Running MLB's bandwidth test I have had results ranging from 700 Kbps to over 15,000 Kbps. On the Roku 3 bandwidth drops cause pauses, dropped frames and jerky video. On other devices a drop in bandwidth has different effects. I have given up on Roku and MLB fixing this issue and I now stream games on a Windows media PC conected to my TV. I'm not experiencing the video issues that the Roku 3 does. From time to time I do notice the video resolution drop for a few seconds, probably due to a bandwidth fluctuation, but the video stream remains otherwise stable.

I'm no expert on this but I believe that the jerky video issue on Roku 3 would disappear if MLB could provide a stable streaming bandwidth.

i think you hit the nail on the head.
mlb.tv is most concerned with streaming to mobile devices. numbers warrant it.
NOT ROKU . they see TV format as dying and dont give a poo.
ROKU and all stagnant streaming devices are screwed.

0 Kudos
LetsGoPhils
Level 7

I purchased a Firestick from Amazon about 3 weeks ago at a great price. It works flawlessly. The sharpness of the picture on my older 1080HD TV is incredible. Today I am watching the Cubs v Braves for about 7 innings on the Roku 3 to see if there has been any improvement. The resolution is not as sharp as the Firestick  but, I have not had any choppy issues. I don't trust it but must say I'm surprised. Was there a fix?  Another member posted a similar report and wanted to corroborate those comments as well. I'm not sure if I'll stay with the Roku 3 for MLB. It still works great for other apps.

UPDATE:  Spoke too soon.....the choppy video started in the 9th inning. Guess I made the right move going with the Firestick.
0 Kudos
smfone
Level 7

Random sort of question, and I believe I’ve seen this in another thread somewhere but I can’t seem to find it now that I’m looking for it (of course)...
Are all of you guys seeing the SAME 3-4 ads I am? OVER AND OVER during breaks, where there used to be NO ads, then later there were clips from classic moments... Now we have Samsung and Verizon and whatever other poo they love throwing in there 4 times an inning... Do you all see them, too?
Do you get them on Firestick?
Roku stick [the purple one]
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

smfone,  normally the games I watch, I use the audio overlay to get the radio announcers, so the repetetive ads are there, but no audio. Something to consider, YMMV, etc. I have a harmony remote set up so there's a mute function available if something annoys me audio wise.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos