Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: MGM SciFi

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, on two different Roku devices.

The MGM Sci-Fi channel (channel 770) goes blank (black screen and no audio) at random intervals. This happens at least every couple hours, and has happened as often as five times in a single hour. The only recourse is to hit the back button to leave the MGM Sci-Fi channel, without leaving the Roku Channel app, (thankfully, that leaves me on the MGM Sci-Fi thumbnail), then I hit the OK button to go back into the MGM Sci-Fi channel.

Removing and re-adding the Roku Channel app does not fix the problem. Resetting or unplugging the Roku does not fix the problem. Making sure the Ruko is on the latest update does not fix the problem.  In my case it's happening with a Roku 3 - 4200X (9.3.0 build 4170-04), and also with a Roku 4 - 4640.

There appears to be no contact info for the individual live channels within the Roku channel app.  The problem started at about the same time as the Roku Channel's Live TV guide first became available, a month or two ago. One of my friends told me that his Roku is doing the same on MGM Sci-Fi.  Whoever is in charge of channels that are only available on the Roku app needs to fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I originally complained about the MGM Sci-Fi channel blacking out because that was the only channel that I have been watching. Today I have been watching other game show channels and this system goes black every 5 minutes. I think it is the Roku system itself that is the problem because it is blacking out not on just one channel but multiple channels to the point of annoyance. If Roku wants to keep its customers they need to look into and fix this problem.

By the looks of it, I am not the only one having this problem and it is not just on the basic Roku app, it is also on the more expensive ones.

Every five minutes! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's doing it on my friend's Roku Ultra and on my Roku 3 and Roku 4. Up until two days ago, it was doing it randomly, maybe once or twice each evening during the three and a half hours that Stargate and Atlantis are on MGM Sci-Fi. At that rate, it was only mildly annoying. I'd just hit the back button and OK, and it would bring the channel back to life. Starting two days ago, it's been doing it literally every three to ten minutes. It's so often now that I literally can't watch anything on that channel until it's fixed. And no, it isn't all the thousands of different Roku devices all gone bad at once. It's a problem in the Roku app itself. When they introduced the live channel guide (which I love), the problem started. It's just grown much worse in the past couple days.

I have not noticed the "going blank" problem on any app so far, other than the live MGM Sci-Fi channel within the Roku Channel app. I must admit that I seldom watch any of the other live channels within the Roku Channel app, so it might be happening on those other live channels.  I do watch a lot of on demand movies from within the Roku Channel app though, and all of those work perfectly, without ever going blank.

Just to rule out a few other things, my connection speed varies between 100 and 115 Mbp/s, which is quite fast, and I'm directly connected with an ethernet cable. I tested it using wireless as well, just to be sure. I also went into one of the hidden Roku menus and set the max speed down to 1mbp/s, just as a test. It still goes blank on all Roku devices we've tried. (We being myself, with a Roku 3 and 4, and my friend with his Roku Ultra.) He lives six miles from me, so it's not on the same internet connection.

We've removed and re-added the Roku channel app. checked the speed and latency of our connections, swapped HDMI cables, and even tried connection to different monitors/TVs.  Nothing we've tried fixes the problem of MGM Sci-Fi randomly going blank. Now that it's doing it up to twenty times in a hour, it's extremely annoying.

Other apps, like Tubi-TV, Pluto-TV, Comet-TV, NASA, Filmrise Sci-Fi, NetFlix, Hulu, and the various other news and movie channels, all work fine. I would expect the Roku app to be the one that works the best. It should be the flagship app on any Roku device!  But, I'm starting to think the support folks don't actually try these things for themselves. Telling people to try adding MGM Sci-Fi to Roku's home page, when it isn't even available as an addable app, proves to me that they've never actually tried it. Oh, and they might actually have to watch the channel for a while to see the issue. It might go blank 30 seconds into watching the channel, or it might go for an hour.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vfjames1 @FoxWolfie 

Thanks for the information.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-channel version (this could be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.
-the next time this issue occurs, please provide us with the title of the content you are watching along with the exact time stamp that this issue occurred

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have already done this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vfjames1 

Thanks for the post.

This is the information that you have provided us so far:

-Roku model = 3930 Roku Express
-serial number = X00400CCN8A6
-device ID = S008204CN8A6

Please provide us with the remaining information that we need:

-software OS ver/build (can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-channel version (this could be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.
-the next time this issue occurs, please provide us with the title of the content you are watching along with the exact time stamp that this issue occurred

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

You keep asking for the channel version. If you watched Roku at all you would know that MGM SciFi and the other game show channels are not stand alone channels. They are within the Roku TV system and you can't get the channel version. 

Also it happens to frequently to pinpoint the time. I don't have that kind of time. The best solution is to cancel this membership and go elsewhere if you don't fix this because it is not worth the aggravation.

It seems to me that Roku has a lot of unhappy customers. It wouldn't surprise me if they all started to leave because nothing is being done to fix the problem and the advice given does not even apply.

You please tell me how to get channel information on channels inside of the RokuTV channel system because your instructions don't apply here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vfjames1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We are aware that the content is within The Roku Channel, can you please provide us with the channel version of the Roku Channel itself. You can find the channel version by selecting The Roku Channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

2.9 Build 42

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just to add, MGM SciFi now seems to be missing from the channel lineup for everyone. This happened as of yesterday and the problem is still persisting today. 

My Roku Channel app is Version 2.9, build 42.

0 Kudos