Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john262
Level 7

M3U Red Player removed?

The M3U Red Player disappeared from my Roku boxes and I can't find it anymore in the Roku store. I used it to play playlists provided by my ISP. I wish to protest this. I was using it in a perfectly legal manner. If it was removed because it is possible to use it in an illegal manner then they should delete Plex as well since it can also be used illegally. They should also remove the Roku Media Player since it is possible to use it to play pirated content.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: M3U Red Player removed?

Sometimes developers pull their own apps. I have no idea what this one was, so I can't comment on any reason why it might have disappeared. But I haven't seen Roku pull a channel themselves that only could be used with illegal sources. As you mentioned, that could end up being a number of different channels, even their own Roku Media Player, since that can use playlists to connect to many online sites that might not be legal.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

Looks like they pulled all of them now. The "black" editions have been pulled as well.

Such a pain. Used to use the browser extensions in Play On to stream feeds from local broadcasts and other subscribed content, but after a mix of Windows 10 updates and Firefox updates, those extensions are borked. The m3u players were a far better work around than slinging them from a phone to the rokus (not exactly user friendly for my mother).

Guess I will have to invest in some nice big tablets and make playlists in VLC or something. Such a pain that they are doing this because of a few bad actors. It isn't the tools themselves that are bad... It is the manner in which they are used. A PC is one of the most versatile tools for acts of piracy--the core capabilities are built into the OS's and tons of software that runs on them. Doesn't mean they need to tear down their ecosystems because a small cross-section of the population is exploiting them.

Perhaps a geo-lock on the apps or something? Prevent devices in Mexico from having access to them instead of flat out pulling them? Maybe look into how Sony and other companies do this already with their US/EU/FR/etc. filtering for devices, accounts, and content? ... just a thought.
0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

Correct. All PCs need to be banned too.
0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

Now all M3U Players have been removed from Roku. Is Plex next? Does Roku management know that the same illegal playlist files that could be played with the M3U players can very easily be played in the Roku Plex app as well?
0 Kudos
dawnavon
Level 7

I’m disappointed they removed them all. Anyone know who I can contact about returning my rokus since they are dictating on what we can have on the products we PAID for. 
So happy my Android box is coming next week, I won’t buy another Roku!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
yort
Level 7

Geez, don't give them any ideas!

This is what happens when you buy a proprietary product. Roku has the power to take down anything for any reason
0 Kudos
edfardos
Level 7

Yah, that's the last straw.   I have local m3u playlists for music videos and music.  Roku is now useless in this regard.   I also watched legitimate local news casts freely available on the web.  Roku is now useless in this regard (not counting NewsOn, which provides one channel of local Statist propaganda).   In the end, I was really hoping I could make my rokus last until the Amazon Fire TV Cube was available, and I succeeded.  Thanks for the memories Roku!
0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

I just ordered two Amazon Cubes. Their specs aren't the best but at least I can install an M3U player. Goodbye and good riddance to Roku.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

As I said before, you have no idea if Roku is who removed the players, or if the developers withdrew them. With the upcoming requirement for all channels to be developed in their new programming environment, it's possible the developers didn't want to update them, and just pulled them.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos