Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Lower power issue in roku express not working with tv or outlet cable

Buying a new Roku is the best direction. But don’t opt for the budget model. Invest in a Roku streaming stick

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Avrruth 

It's old, but not that old. Generally, you would get more than two years from a Roku device, even a budget device such as the Express. I have a Roku 3, from 2013, still in operation on one TV. Now, it's as high-end device (or was in 2013), so long life is expected.

The mid-range sticks have been good for a lot of people, and have better network capabilities. The Express 4K+ is a good device, and has better network capabilities than the Express. And the Ultra is top of the line  ($99, but has been on sale recently). And the SoundBar is a good device if you need to improve your sound in the process.

I would suggest a new streaming device. I generally steer people away from the Express because of its limited network capabilities, but just about any device should work well. Of course, your Express should last longer than two years.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

It might even have been longer then that, maybe 3 years. My tv isn’t Old but it’s not the latest model either. We have gaming systems also plugged in near by and everything seems to be working just fine it’s just the roku

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Was it always plugged into a surge protector? Did you get a recent power outage? Maybe something spiked and took it out. 

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

It was normally always plugged into the tv. Power has been fine here 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

That is not what I meant. You plug it into the TV via an HDMI plug. You plug in into the power through the AC adapter. Was this AC adapter plugged directly into the wall or a surge protector? 

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

It was plugged into the tv at first…. Then I used the roku block and tried plugging it into a surge protector on the wall. Still didn’t work. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Avrruth 

What about directly to the wall outlet. No power strip, surge suppressor, or anything in between?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Ok so you had it powered up by your TV's USB power? That is never a good idea. Most TV's cannot provide adequate power that the device needs. 

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

Just tried this and no difference 

0 Kudos