Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

Lower power issue in roku express not working with tv or outlet cable

My roku express will not work plugged into the tv or the outlet. I have restarted the router multiple times and the tv. Tried multiple cables and blocks. This is the second time this is happening and I’m pissed I just can’t call in. I am about to switch to Amazon fire stick 

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lower power issue in roku express not working with tv or outlet cable

@Avrruth 

What does "not working" mean? It won't power on? It powers on but won't connect to your network? Please clarify the issue.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

It’s just giving me the low power message and saying my device doesn’t have enough power. Won’t let me do anything on the device, then when I got it to work for 5 seconds and tried to connect to internet it just kept spinning then went back to low power

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

How old is your Roku? If you purchased it within the last 12 months it’s covered under warranty

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Avrruth 

I think I'm following you on that. With that in mind, rereading your other posts in the thread, some other questions come up.

First, stop with the router thing. That's simply a waste of time and effort at this point. You need to get to a situation of the device powering properly. Until then, the router won't matter, even if there is a router issue. I suspect your router is fine, unless and until we find something to indicate otherwise. Keep the focus on the Roku device and the power situation for now.

You mentioned using multiple power cords and multiple power supplies. Where did they come from? Do you have the one that came with your Roku Express? When you got the Express brand new in the box, there was a power supply. Do you have that one?

I mention this in case you're using third-party power supplies that might not put out sufficient power for the Roku. Not all power supplies are the same, so let's make sure you're using once that is built for that device.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

Mmmm I’ve had it for probably 2 years. Tried multiple cables and multiple outlets and multiple boxes and no change. 

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

Yes I have the original roku block and power cable that I originally tried, for a long time my device was plugged into the tv so when this happened two days ago, I switched to the roku box plugged into wall outlet and roku cable. This helped probably for 12 hours…. And now it’s doing it again. So I tried different cables and another apple box just in case but still nothing. I also would like to say this device is two years old so idk if that  matters. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The Roku express you own is a low budget model. If you owned it for two years it’s out of warranty. Your best bet is to probably buy a new one

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Avrruth wrote:

Yes I have the original roku block and power cable that I originally tried, for a long time my device was plugged into the tv so when this happened two days ago, ...

It worked for a long while then stopped. That's not good. It could be the USB port on the TV not putting out power as it had, but...

@Avrruth wrote:

...I switched to the roku box plugged into wall outlet and roku cable. This helped probably for 12 hours…. And now it’s doing it again. ...

Which is odd, but now points to two separate power sources as a problem. Or the Roku itself. And the simplest solution is usually the correct one. Now, it could indeed be your wall outlet has an electrical issue. And you've have to run extension cords from other outlets to rule that out. But I'm thinking it's the Roku.

@Avrruth wrote:

...this device is two years old so idk if that  matters. 

That matters insofar as warranty is concerned. It's out of warranty. This isn't going to have a happy ending, I fear.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Avrruth
Channel Surfer

I have a roku tv in another room that I bought last year and works just fine, should I just get a new device as this one is old? 

0 Kudos