Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I don’t have Adblock installed  on roku period. (Didn’t realize you could do that anyway) straight roku, no mods, only 12 apps installed, MicroSD card installed for app storage only.

No Hulu live tv, just the $11.99 no ads version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

"n5rat" wrote:
I don’t have Adblock installed  on roku period. (Didn’t realize you could do that anyway) straight roku, no mods, only 12 apps installed, MicroSD card installed for app storage only.

No Hulu live tv, just the $11.99 no ads version.

Ah! There have been issues with devices with microSD cards installed. Now, I use them on my devices that support them, and haven't had issues myself, but I have seen issues reported where the microSD card removed made a difference. Try popping it out on one and see if that makes a difference. I'm not hopeful, but there is something odd going on, and everything that could touch on should be explored until the cause is found.

I got one more idea that you won't like: using another email address, create a new Hulu account (new subscribers get a week free) and see if the account stays logged in. If not, it's something with your setup (to include your devices, network, and/or ISP). If it stays logged in, Hulu has something jacked up about your account. A separate account at the same location should prove it. But I'd try other things first.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

MicroSD card installed in only one of the devices, all of them have same issue. 

I did create new account with different email, didn’t solve problem. Tested on 2 of 5 rokus 

Network doesn’t prevent non-roku devices from operating properly. iOS, AppleTV and FireTV have no problem staying logged in between app switching. Used a roku at a friends house with my login, same problem there.

Thanks for suggestions. Keep them coming. I’ll try anything from anyone at this point. I’ve exhausted any ideas that I can think of at this point.

My next test is going to involve figuring out how to use WireShark to look at network communications.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

"n5rat" wrote:
MicroSD card installed in only one of the devices, all of them have same issue. 

I did create new account with different email, didn’t solve problem. Tested on 2 of 5 rokus 

Network doesn’t prevent non-roku devices from operating properly. iOS, AppleTV and FireTV have no problem staying logged in between app switching. Used a roku at a friends house with my login, same problem there.

Thanks for suggestions. Keep them coming. I’ll try anything from anyone at this point. I’ve exhausted any ideas that I can think of at this point.

My next test is going to involve figuring out how to use WireShark to look at network communications.

Sorry. I see that you mentioned that already, and I forgot when typing my last response. I didn't recheck to see about that.

Let's verify the steps in one of your earlier troubleshooting processes. If you did all of these, then okay. But, this is a detailed process that might contain some variations. You've been very thorough, but I thought listing these might catch some variant you missed, or might trigger a thought of something else to try.


  1. Pick one box as your test device.

  2. Remove the Hulu app, then reboot the Roku.

  3. Go to each Roku and reboot. For TVs and Roku 4, either use the menu to reboot, or unplug it. Turning it off and on via the remote isn't sufficient for a Roku TV nor for the Roku 4. Actually remove power on those. You might want to remove power for all, just to be sure, but it's really only necessary for devices with an "off" switch (TVs and Roku 4), unless you use the System Restart option. 
    a. Standard Roku: Settings > System > System restart
    b. Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart

  4. Go to the Hulu Website (https://secure.hulu.com/account) to not only log out of all devices again, but also use the Protect Your Account setting to log out of all computer. 

  5. Next, log in on that computer and change your Hulu password. 

  6. On your test device, reinstall the Hulu app.

  7. Log in and see if you stay connected.


Another thought is to connect to another network. Two ways, neither fun. One is to set up your cell phone as a hotspot. You'll want to reset network settings on the Roku before connecting, just in case. Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset

Then, connect to your cell phone's hotspot.

This will eliminate your entire network from the picture without leaving your location. Of course, you're eating your data plan. And, if it's unlimited, many providers will throttle hotspots.

Of course, if your cell carrier is also your ISP, this might not make a difference.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

Just saw people complaining about hacked Hulu accounts. Have you changed your password as one of your troubleshooting steps? Password piracy is one of those unspoken problems that is prominent now. There are forums that share these accounts so people can get stuff for free. Recommend you make your password strong because usually the passwords leaked are common words, short, etc.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

"DBDukes" wrote:
"n5rat" wrote:
MicroSD card installed in only one of the devices, all of them have same issue. 

I did create new account with different email, didn’t solve problem. Tested on 2 of 5 rokus 

Network doesn’t prevent non-roku devices from operating properly. iOS, AppleTV and FireTV have no problem staying logged in between app switching. Used a roku at a friends house with my login, same problem there.

Thanks for suggestions. Keep them coming. I’ll try anything from anyone at this point. I’ve exhausted any ideas that I can think of at this point.

My next test is going to involve figuring out how to use WireShark to look at network communications.

Sorry. I see that you mentioned that already, and I forgot when typing my last response. I didn't recheck to see about that.

Let's verify the steps in one of your earlier troubleshooting processes. If you did all of these, then okay. But, this is a detailed process that might contain some variations. You've been very thorough, but I thought listing these might catch some variant you missed, or might trigger a thought of something else to try.


  1. Pick one box as your test device.

  2. Remove the Hulu app, then reboot the Roku.

  3. Go to each Roku and reboot. For TVs and Roku 4, either use the menu to reboot, or unplug it. Turning it off and on via the remote isn't sufficient for a Roku TV nor for the Roku 4. Actually remove power on those. You might want to remove power for all, just to be sure, but it's really only necessary for devices with an "off" switch (TVs and Roku 4), unless you use the System Restart option. 
    a. Standard Roku: Settings > System > System restart
    b. Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart

  4. Go to the Hulu Website (https://secure.hulu.com/account) to not only log out of all devices again, but also use the Protect Your Account setting to log out of all computer. 

  5. Next, log in on that computer and change your Hulu password. 

  6. On your test device, reinstall the Hulu app.

  7. Log in and see if you stay connected.


Another thought is to connect to another network. Two ways, neither fun. One is to set up your cell phone as a hotspot. You'll want to reset network settings on the Roku before connecting, just in case. Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset

Then, connect to your cell phone's hotspot.

This will eliminate your entire network from the picture without leaving your location. Of course, you're eating your data plan. And, if it's unlimited, many providers will throttle hotspots.

Of course, if your cell carrier is also your ISP, this might not make a difference.

We have a winner. Hulu on Roku does not like my network hardware. Starting around 6 months ago, and update to Hulu or an update to Roku, or an update to Ubiquiti SDN started causing Hulu to have fits. Of course, this leads to even bigger questions. Why does every other streaming device work on the network? Why does every other streaming service work on the Roku? Which possible setting in the Ubiquiti SDN is causing issues with Hulu on Roku? The irony is that it could very well be all three. 

 Has anyone else ever had an issue with Hulu and Roku and specific networking hardware? What possible protocol/setting/configuration could be interfering with Hulu? 
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I also have the same problem with the Hulu app. It started when I upgraded and bought A newer Roku player. Because I couldn’t get Hulu to work I returned it and bought a different one, Roku premier, and the same issue happened. Hulu told me the same thing that they won’t really do anything cause I’m the only one with this problem. It isn’t my network, my older outdated Roku worlds just fine with Hulu. I eventually gave up on Roku and bought a fire stick. Hulu is the main app I use, so it was pointless to use a player that doesn’t work with their app
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I am having the same issue on both of my Roku devices. After reading this thread this is a problem with the Hulu app.  I’m thinking that some PR noise may take care of this issue.  Perhaps on twitter with the hashtag “#hulusucks”? Because they don’t fix their app...?  Or something you folks can think up.  I suck at Twitter stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

@Rodney58 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact Hulu support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I'm having the same issues, so I chatted with the hulu support team. They assured me that it is most certainly a roku issue, as they are swamped with people asking them for this assistance only with Roku devices. Roku TVs are the worst, but the plug-ins are almost as bad. The answer cannot be Remove channel properly, power cycle, add channel, rinse repeat. Amazon fire TV doesnt have this issue, so I cant imagine that roku couldn't fix this if they wanted to.