Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skmccast3281
Level 7

Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I have Roku 2/4210x 8.1.0 - Build 4145-04 and Roku Stick 3600x 8.1.0 - 4145-24, Both units will not maintain logins or activation on Hulu app. I can login to website on PC no issues. After several tries on both Roku units may login/activate and am able to view programming for a short time. App will stop after several minutes then have to login again. At that time the app will not allow login says to go to "help" on Hulu which is pointless. I have removed the app and rebooted both units and added Hulu app again several times with no resolution. 
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Bionicrocky
Level 7

Re: Login/activate device issues with HULU app!

I am having the same issue on both my Roku 4 and Roku Ultra running 9.0.0 build 4114-29.  I have tried:

• Removing channel and re-adding it

• Factory reset

• Changing password on Hulu

• Logging in using email address and password

• Logging in using hulu.com/activate

If I leave the app and go back in I am forced to log in again.  Roughly half the time I get a "network error" and have to go through the process a second time.  The issue started roughly 2 months ago.  I've had Rokus since the very first one, use them on 6 TVs and carry a stick when I travel.  This issue is so persistent and annoying that I am seriously considering switching everything to Amazon Fire, even with its AWFUL UX.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Bionicrocky" wrote:
I am having the same issue on both my Roku 4 and Roku Ultra running 9.0.0 build 4114-29.  I have tried:

• Removing channel and re-adding it

• Factory reset

• Changing password on Hulu

• Logging in using email address and password

• Logging in using hulu.com/activate

If I leave the app and go back in I am forced to log in again.  Roughly half the time I get a "network error" and have to go through the process a second time.  The issue started roughly 2 months ago.  I've had Rokus since the very first one, use them on 6 TVs and carry a stick when I travel.  This issue is so persistent and annoying that I am seriously considering switching everything to Amazon Fire, even with its AWFUL UX.

We have to ask the question: when you removed the channel, did you reboot the Roku before re-adding it? I recognize the factory reset nullifies this, but we have to remind people the required steps to remove a channel. 
Expect RokuTanner to chime in here and ask you a few questions. He will want to ensure all the steps are followed, and he has the ability to escalate issues with tech support. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bionicrocky

Sorry to hear about the login issue you're experiencing! Does this issue occur on any other channels on your device? 

If you've tried removing the channel, restarting your player, then adding the channel back once more and this issue still persists, I'd recommend contacting Hulu support to see what other options they may suggest (as they develop their own channel for the Roku platform). 

One thought to share—you might try logging into your Hulu account online, removing/deactivating your affected Roku devices, then repeating the steps above to remove/restart/re-install the channel and see if this clears up the issue. If you still aren't able to get things resolved after speaking with Hulu support, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku devices from Settings>System>About. I'll help pass along your report to their team. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
n5rat
Level 7

I have been having similar problems with Hulu activations and staying logged into Hulu when switching between the Hulu app and another app. I have 3 Roku stand alone boxes (2 4400x and 1 4200x) and 2 different TCL Roku TVs(7000x and 5140x). All will experience a similar problems. My problems with Hulu started in September/October 2018 and continue to this day. Additionally, earlier in 2018 I had a similar problem that only lasted about 10 days. My network consists of Ubiquiti wireless access points, Ubiquiti LAN switches and Ubiquiti router. I have CenturyLink DSL with 80/10 connection. On the same network, Hulu stays logged in on an AppleTV, FireTV, and every iOS device that connects to the same wifi network. 
Problems
1. Will not stay logged into Hulu app for more than a day or two. Sometimes won't stay logged in for a minute or two. 
2. Frequently will take 3-10 attempts with online login 
3. Frequently will get Network Error on attempted login
4. Login using email address and password usually requires 2-3 attempts. 
I have tried the following troubleshooting steps
a. restart roku
b. remove hulu app, restart roku, reinstall hulu
c. reset network settings on roku
d. switch between ethernet and wifi for roku
e. switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi AP for roku
f. deleted all activations on hulu.com
g. spent 10 hours on phone with hulu support over the last 6 months. Including giving them Roku model numbers and software versions
h. made sure roku and hulu software up to date
i. tested same connections with AppleTV, FireTV, iPads and iPhones and experience no problems
j. Created a brand new account on hulu with different email address/password and experienced the exact same problem. 
k. none of the other apps on Roku experience this problem. It is exclusively an issue with Hulu app

At this point, according to Hulu CS, they have not had anyone with similar issue contacting them, and until they get a significant number of complaints similar to mine, only then will the Devs be contacted about trying to solve issue. 

So, any suggestions out there? I've done everything I can think of short of running a WireShark trace on the network, but since I think it's a problem at the software level, I don't believe it will show anything useful. 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"n5rat" wrote:
I have been having similar problems with Hulu activations and staying logged into Hulu when switching between the Hulu app and another app. I have 3 Roku stand alone boxes (2 4400x and 1 4200x) and 2 different TCL Roku TVs(7000x and 5140x). All will experience a similar problems. My problems with Hulu started in September/October 2018 and continue to this day. Additionally, earlier in 2018 I had a similar problem that only lasted about 10 days. My network consists of Ubiquiti wireless access points, Ubiquiti LAN switches and Ubiquiti router. I have CenturyLink DSL with 80/10 connection. On the same network, Hulu stays logged in on an AppleTV, FireTV, and every iOS device that connects to the same wifi network. 
Problems
1. Will not stay logged into Hulu app for more than a day or two. Sometimes won't stay logged in for a minute or two. 
2. Frequently will take 3-10 attempts with online login 
3. Frequently will get Network Error on attempted login
4. Login using email address and password usually requires 2-3 attempts. 
I have tried the following troubleshooting steps
a. restart roku
b. remove hulu app, restart roku, reinstall hulu
c. reset network settings on roku
d. switch between ethernet and wifi for roku
e. switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi AP for roku
f. deleted all activations on hulu.com
g. spent 10 hours on phone with hulu support over the last 6 months. Including giving them Roku model numbers and software versions
h. made sure roku and hulu software up to date
i. tested same connections with AppleTV, FireTV, iPads and iPhones and experience no problems
j. Created a brand new account on hulu with different email address/password and experienced the exact same problem. 
k. none of the other apps on Roku experience this problem. It is exclusively an issue with Hulu app

At this point, according to Hulu CS, they have not had anyone with similar issue contacting them, and until they get a significant number of complaints similar to mine, only then will the Devs be contacted about trying to solve issue. 

So, any suggestions out there? I've done everything I can think of short of running a WireShark trace on the network, but since I think it's a problem at the software level, I don't believe it will show anything useful. 

One thing to look at is your network's DNS settings. Since the issue is related to Hulu alone, and it's on a variety of boxes/devices, the only thing in common is your network. Are you using your ISP's DNS settings? If so, try a different setting on your router, keeping in mind to record your current settings to put them back if this turns out to be a dead end.

Here are some that other users have recommended:
Google: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Cloudfare: 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1
Level 3: 4.4.4.4 or 4.4.2.2
Quad 9: 9.9.9.9 or 149.112.112.112
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

I really don't expect this to resolve the issue. I would expect a failure to connect properly rather than logging out, but what you're experiencing is such an odd thing, particularly since your troubleshooting steps seem to be very comprehensive, that we're shooting in the dark here. This is a step that may have an influence of some type, and while I'm not hopeful, I do suggest it be ruled out, as it's a relatively simple process to do and, if necessary, undo.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
n5rat
Level 7

I currently use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 neatly combining cloudflare and google. So, I don’t think that’s it, but will play around with that and see if anything changes.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"n5rat" wrote:
I currently use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 neatly combining cloudflare and google. So, I don’t think that’s it, but will play around with that and see if anything changes.

Well then you've already dealt with it.

One other thing: are you running a VPN?

Also, are you running ad-blockers?

Oh, and are we talking the standard Hulu service? The $5.99/month one? Or Hulu with Live TV?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
n5rat
Level 7

No vpn.
No network ad block, only individual devices have ad block capabilities 
Hulu no ads edition
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"n5rat" wrote:
No vpn.

No network ad block, only individual devices have ad block capabilities 

Hulu no ads edition

So, I'm not clear about whether or not there's ad blockers on the Roku devices. I'm thinking you're saying yes, that each device has that, but that you don't have a network-wide one. If that's the case, what happens if you turn it off for a Roku device? Does it still log you out?

Also, I gather you have the $11.99/month plan, no the Hulu with Live TV (No-Ads) $50.99 plan.

As a note, Grey’s Anatomy, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., New Girl, and How To Get Away With Murder still include leading and trailing ads on the No-Ads plans. Just FYI, if it applies.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos