Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CRCFX
Level 7

Location Issues with Roku - Roku Support Blames AT&T

I have worked with Roku multiple times, AT&T TV and even Comcast on the issue of receiving the wrong local channels. This is frustrating. 

We have an Apple TV running the AT&T app, an Amazon Stick running the AT&T app, and also a Roku Streaming Stick+ running the AT&T app. Out of the three, only the Roku still 'reads' as though we are still in the DC metro area. It took multiple chats to get Roku to confirm that location is not based upon the account information, it's based upon IP address (ISP location). 

The router has been factory reset, twice, and the Roku Stick has been factory reset at least twice. AT&T was incredibly helpful, but they don't see an issue. I've read multiple posts on this forum and others, where people have had issues with location changes and receiving the wrong local channels.

Most disappointing is Roku's support. They don't listen and they continue to stick by the same 'story,' yet they cannot provide any technical answers. The answer is always: "The issue seems to be with channel settings. I would recommend reaching out to channel partner as the channel on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly and they should be able to assist you further." No explanation or justification, and no recognition at all from any of them that this is in fact a problem that many others have had. 

I'm open to ideas on a technical resolution. I even asked them to send along a demo device so that I could test it and then return it, just to see if things would be different. Is it likely that a new device would pull information from the DC metro market? It seems very unlikely to me. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Location Issues with Roku - Roku Support Blames AT&T

When you go to a site like https://www.whatismyip.com/ does the location indicated for the IP assigned to you by your internet provider reflect your actual location?

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
CRCFX
Level 7

Yes it does, makaiguy. Thank you for brining that up. I also mentioned that to Roku support each time I explained the situation to them.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Roku does not natively receive local channels.  They can be accessed by a number of subscription channel apps, though.  You mention AT&T so I assume that's the app you use for locals.

If so, does this page help?  https://www.att.com/support/article/att-tv/KM1228303/  I think it's for actual AT&T devices, but maybe there's something there of use.

Although it seems to me that this is likely an AT&T issue, I do wonder, if you are linked to a Roku account that was created from an IP in your former area, if this could cause what you are seeing.  I know that can cause problems if you take a Roku to a different country and try to view local stations and programs that are not available in your original area.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
CRCFX
Level 7

Thank you for your follow-up and the link. Yes, it's the AT&T app, but please note that that same app shows the proper local channels using both Apple TV and Amazon Stick. If I were to buy another Roku device tomorrow to test it, my sense is there's almost a 0% likelihood that that device (unless the location for Roku devices was determined by billing zip code) will somehow pick up DC metro channels. Roku says it's by IP address. The other steaming devices work properly; the Roku does not. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@CRCFX 

From some quick searching and building on the link from @makaiguy , appears it may be an AT&T billing zip code issue.  Should affect all non-GPS devices similarly (Roku, firestick, etc).  There is a possibility that they fixed the app for the firestick/Amazon stick, and not for the Roku, or there is an oversight/bug in the developer's app pertaining to Roku devices.

Here is a pretty good thread in an AT&T forum (particularly Jrandomuser's explanation) addressing it.  Many more from different forums with quick browser search addressing similar/same issue of the wrong att&t local channels.

https://forums.att.com/conversations/watching-att-tv/wrong-local-channels-showing-from-previous-stat...

Another one from an irritated at&t user....

https://forums.att.com/conversations/using-att-tv-now/actual-zip-code-on-roku-is-nowhere-near-where-...

The only real way to test if a Roku issue rather that app issue would be to purchase a new Roku device like you intimated and create new separate new account in your current location to see if Roku device registration has any part in your issue.  If so, still needs to be addressed by the app developer (at&t).  This is why I am leaning toward the billing zip code as your possible culprit.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

CRCFX
Level 7

Thank you also for your knowledge and research, AvsGunnar. It's helpful. 

I will take a look in a bit, but I think I understand based upon what you described. I will look and then double-check again with AT&T.

All that said, it makes me wonder why Roku support couldn't provide a similar explanation. I will respond back here. Thank you both for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
CRCFX
Level 7

Update: I received an email from Roku support, suggesting that I connect the Roku stick to a mobile hotspot, to see if that changed the 'reading' of our location. It sounds like a good step, but I was unable to see a hotspot. Has anyone tried this? 

0 Kudos