Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Locast

I can vouch for Locast, it works for me. I "Donated" in the beginning so I dont know about it bugging you for money (5 bucks). But its well worth it to me. Locast has many Channels here in SF some I'd never heard of before. Its not always stable and can be screwy but generally it works for me.

I watch it a lot.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Beartrack
Level 8

Re: Locast

Unfortunate that locast can not correctly identify location when using roku.

other companies allow log in confirmation for roku with a ipad, phone or other so they can verify location.

our isp uses server that bounces around to adjacent city, not our tv market and not where we are actually located. So can watch on ipad but not roku.

maybe roku could do a geo confirmation with app on ipad from time to time for providers.

would be great if worked but no donation or use unless it works. If does not work on,your roku, try locast on phone and if it works there, you probably have same problem

BradiM
Level 7

Re: Locast Roku location issue

I figured out the problem, (with NO help from Locast, no one responds to your ticket). You have to enable your location in the web browser your using to activate your app on the roku.  I had to log out of the app log into my account in my web browser and enable location services for the browser. Then open the app on the Roku and activate it on the web browser. Then close the app/channel and go back into it. And it should work now. At least mine did.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

@BradiM wrote:

I figured out the problem, (with NO help from Locast, no one responds to your ticket). You have to enable your location in the web browser your using to activate your app on the roku.  I had to log out of the app log into my account in my web browser and enable location services for the browser. Then open the app on the Roku and activate it on the web browser. Then close the app/channel and go back into it. And it should work now. At least mine did.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

I tried doing similar things.  I enabled location tracking in Chrome and Firefox and tried it on multiple devices and still got the same error.

I then went to whatismyipaddress.com and open a ticket with the following:

(1) Description of the problem

(2) Provided my IPv6 and IPv4 addresses that was used at the time I attempted activation

(3) Provided the name of my Internet Service Provider

(4) Provided my city, state and zip code

(5) Provided the name of the Locast service region I believe I am in

(5) Provided the distance the city I am in from the Locast service region

They got back to me 2 business days later and admitted that sometimes their region checking has errors.  They also indicated they corrected it for my IP and to try again.  It then worked.

I had a similar situation with Hulu but in that case they took 6 months to whitelist the IP.  Locast support is amazing in comparison to Hulu.

0 Kudos
HelloGo
Level 7

@flukeAre you saying you opened a ticket with whatsmyipaddress.com or with Locast.org?

@BradiMWent through steps you suggested, but still after about 15 minutes Locast stops the broadcast and asks for a donation.  When Locast app starts it says determining my region and correctly detects it, but can't keep the broadcast running more than 15 minutes at a time. Maybe this is just the way it works?

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

@HelloGo wrote:

@flukeAre you saying you opened a ticket with whatsmyipaddress.com or with Locast.org?

@BradiMWent through steps you suggested, but still after about 15 minutes Locast stops the broadcast and asks for a donation.  When Locast app starts it says determining my region and correctly detects it, but can't keep the broadcast running more than 15 minutes at a time. Maybe this is just the way it works?

Sorry, I worded that badly and skipped a step.  It should have said to collect information from whatsmyipaddress and then submit that information in a ticket to Locast.org.

However, if you are getting past the activation step and seeing 15 minutes of programming then you aren't running into a region block issue.

Can you try Locast in a web browser or on a smart phone and see if that also stops after only 15 minutes?

Knowing if the problem is specific to the Roku app or a problem across multiple platforms could be useful if you submit a request to Locast support to try to get it fixed.

0 Kudos
HelloGo
Level 7

@flukeThanks for the clarification.

Even on a smartphone, streaming stops after 15 minutes with a request to donate so it's not just the Roku app. On Locast's web site I don't see it mentioned anywhere that there's a 15 minute limit.

0 Kudos