Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Revolg9
Level 7

Locals not local TV channels

I'm looking for locals the YouTube like service.  When will this be added? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Locals not local TV channels

Roku themselves will likely never offer such a service. If you live in a supported area, Locast offers every local channel in about two dozen areas. Hulu and YouTube TV offer live TV, but I've never used their service so I don't know exactly what they offer. I believe only Locast will provide the specific local stations for your area. I believe the others just offer the network feeds, but I could be mistaken.

PC Magazine did a review here comparing providers, so you could start looking there.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Revolg9
Level 7

Locals.com is an uncensored version of YouTube.  Nothing to do with any live TV local or otherwise. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Revolg9-- It's not readily apparent to most that each channel provider creates and maintains the specific Roku-compatible version of their app that runs on the Roku system.  Roku just provides the platform on which it runs.

If you want to view Locals.com on your Roku, you need to convince Locals.com to create a Roku-compatible channel app and make it available.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I had never heard of Locals.com, and you didn't specify that in your original post. 

I've checked their web site, and I'm not certain I agree that it's the "same" as YouTube. Since you can't view anything without creating an account, I can't see what it contains. It appears they only offer viewing via a web browser, or an app on an Android or iOS device. I checked the Google Play store, and the app is not available for any of my Android streaming players. So it seems that they only offer it for phones and tablets. There doesn't seem to be any interest in their offering an app for any streaming player. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos