Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glasspilot
Level 7

Livestream channel issues

I watch Livestream (LS) on my Roku every morning. I use it to watch a Norfolk, VA TV station, News/Traffic/Weather. It's kinda cool how LS does it. They are almost live; 2 or 3 minute delay, unless the OTA broadcast is done. In that case they replay the broadcast, it's never more than 3 or 4 hours old. They do not air the ads, they throw up a screen saying: "We'll be right back" or words to that effect.

Livestream is inconsistent on how they display their homescreen. On the top line they usually have 30 to 70 different TV stations around the country. I'm not sure why the number changes, you would think these stations are paying LS to be available. If I was a station manager that was paying LS for this service I wouldn't be happy that "sometimes" my station wasn't visible.

Well, the last few days the TV line has vanished completely! (There are other lines, mainly live events.) Months ago I figured out a work around (when MY station was disappearing) ; I went to their search option and typed in my TV call sign. It then appears and I can watch my TV news, even though it is not on their homepage screen! Very weird. I am not saying my TV call sign just in case it would suddenly disappear.

Anybody else notice this with LS?
0 Kudos
28 Replies
glasspilot
Level 7

Re: Livestream channel issues

Hmmmm, crickets chirping.

Maybe I'm the only ROKU user to use the Livestream channel! The situation is still as I described it (above). But now there is a competitor to Livestream, "NewsON". It does about the same thing LS does except they are only TV news, where as LS seems to specialize in live events, and rebroadcasting TV news is an afterthought.

NewsON has a user interface that is not as polished as LS, kinda amateurish and clunky. But they do have one station from my hometown in Rochester, NY, WHEC 10.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"glasspilot" wrote:
I watch Livestream (LS) on my Roku every morning. I use it to watch a Norfolk, VA TV station, News/Traffic/Weather. It's kinda cool how LS does it. They are almost live; 2 or 3 minute delay, unless the OTA broadcast is done. In that case they replay the broadcast, it's never more than 3 or 4 hours old. They do not air the ads, they throw up a screen saying: "We'll be right back" or words to that effect.

Livestream is inconsistent on how they display their homescreen. On the top line they usually have 30 to 70 different TV stations around the country. I'm not sure why the number changes, you would think these stations are paying LS to be available. If I was a station manager that was paying LS for this service I wouldn't be happy that "sometimes" my station wasn't visible.

Well, the last few days the TV line has vanished completely! (There are other lines, mainly live events.) Months ago I figured out a work around (when MY station was disappearing) ; I went to their search option and typed in my TV call sign. It then appears and I can watch my TV news, even though it is not on their homepage screen! Very weird. I am not saying my TV call sign just in case it would suddenly disappear.

Anybody else notice this with LS?

I have, but I found a work around for the content I’m interested in. If you go down to the account search tab at the bottom of the home screen and type in whatever TV stations you’re looking for it should pop up with what is available. I found a station where I am locally that is never displayed on the home screen as well as a 24/7 radar feed for another local station. I know it is a bit annoying, but unless they (Livestream) make it possible to sign into their channel with a livestream account where you can save favorites and such, it’s the best option if you can’t find what you’re looking for on the home screen.
0 Kudos
DarkJedi
Level 7

I noticed this change lately also and do what you do, go to the search function. I would sometimes look at something else that appeared on that top line but since they're mostly gone I don't do that any more.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"DarkJedi" wrote:
I noticed this change lately also and do what you do, go to the search function. I would sometimes look at something else that appeared on that top line but since they're mostly gone I don't do that any more.

I normally go straight to the account search now and type what I'm looking for. It would be a lot easier if they (Livestream) allowed users of the Roku channel to sign in and save favorites though. It's a mild annoyance for me, but 90% of the time I know exactly what I am looking for so it's not much of an issue for me.
0 Kudos
glasspilot
Level 7

Thanks for responding, everyone! Livestream used to have a messageboard, but it is gone now. So that's why I started this thread on the ROKU forum.

Like someone here has said already, many ROKU channels have a "favorites" function, it would be nice if the LS channel would use that. Also, since they have decided to shut down the only way I knew to try to communicate this problem to them (the messageboard) I thought I'd say it here.

And finally, there is another ROKU channel that just popped up that is trying to do the same thing, NewsON. The user interface is a little clunky but it is an option.
0 Kudos
DarkJedi
Level 7

A favorites would be nice. I did download Newson - it does not have my local broadcast but otherwise it seems like a good app (if you live in one of the many places they do have).
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 11

Add On TV and there are over 100 stations from all over the US that offer their newscasts. I was up early this morning and living in the West, I was going from East Coast market to East Coast market, Portland ME, Boston MA, NYC, Philly, all the way to Miami. It is really cool.
0 Kudos
glasspilot
Level 7

I'm really wondering what's going on with the Livestream channel. Now when you crank it up the tv channel list is completely gone. It's almost like they are going to shut down. I can still use the search function to find my local OTA channel (WAVY, Norfolk, VA).
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

I noticed the same thing

It happen once before, about 1-2 years. [memory is vague]
All the Live news channel were in one line and disappeared

About a week or 2 later they all re appeared
0 Kudos