Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamIAm100
Level 8

Live TV won't play. Channel guide off from listed programming info when press button

I have a recently bought TCL 50" Roku TV that has worked wonderfully well for the past couple of months. As of today (11/14/20) my digital antenna TV will not show on the screen (blank). The programming guide for antenna TV works and shows the channels and times (so the wifi is working). Note. When I press the button on my remote to cue that channel the screen goes blank and the sub-menu programming info shows THE WRONG INFO for the channel.

Example. Right now I clicked on the (6 PM) Los Angeles CBS News from the guide my screen goes blank and the sub-screen offers programming that says, THE LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERT. 

So

(1.) I can't get live antenna programming. But I get the programming guide.

(2.) When I click on a channel program, that's when my screen goes blank, but the sub-menu guide appears and has the wrong info for the time and day. I've checked and this is consistent with other channels.

What should I do to correct this? Sounds like some kind of problem with the programming and antenna software at Roku's end.

Thank you for any help with this.

Ruku TV Guide 1.jpg

Programming guide shows programming. I clicked on one (Paid Programming)

Roku TV Guide 2.jpg

Up comes a blank screen (no live antenna TV) and the WRONG info for the programming. Note the signal power icon to the left exhibits strong (four bars).

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Lantern
Level 9

Re: Live TV won't play. Channel guide off from listed programming info when press button

Actually I had to think that I had that problem with me lwith my ocal channels also..but some were moving from the channel they were supposed to be on..DID a rescan on them only to find that several did move..attached a external antenna , and it worked again.

0 Kudos
SamIAm100
Level 8

Re: Live TV won't play. Channel guide off from listed programming info when press button

Here is the simple fix. After making sure the cable to the antenna was securely attached to the TV and switching the power on and off with the remote I did the first thing always recommended.

I unplugged the TV cord from the wall. Waited a full minute. Plugged the TV back in. Used the remote to power it up. And presto changeo, everything worked. 

So remember gang. Unplug the cord when something like this happens. And go from there.

0 Kudos
MimiLM
Level 7

I’m having same issue since the software update on 11/13/2020

this is ridiculous... I’ve reset the little button multiple times tries multiple high end antennas ... NOTHING.

my other TVs work on antenna so I know it’s not the antenna...

it’s just the Hisense Roku TV

0 Kudos
Perry91
Level 7

So do you guys think it’s an update issue? My tv definitely been doing the same thing since around the date yal stated. Is there anyway to tag Roku and tcl in this thread lol

0 Kudos
GeneF
Level 7

Manually update the software.  I had the same issue with the TV I bought yesterday.

0 Kudos
SamIAm100
Level 8

Note my follow-up reply above. Unplug your TV (not just power off) from socket. Leave off for a couple of minutes (at least). Replug. Power-up. See what happens. Worked for me.

0 Kudos
Mrr2
Level 7

This just happened last week when I turned on my tv and it stated they had added free streaming channels. Well I have a hot spot on my phone and the only way I can get my antenna channels is I have to turn my hotspot on and then off. I even reset my tv to factory settings. What happens when my hotspot is empty. I can't use my tv. That is crazy. This is my antenna tv. I use for streaming sometime. Roku needs to correct this issue. No problem for years until last week. CRAZY!!!

0 Kudos
TLOU2
Level 9

Same thing here, I can't watch antenna tv offline anymore, since the Jan. 8th streaming channels update, I get a black screen when clicking on antenna tv.

It started with just my channel lists not showing offline, but roku support seems to have made that into a worse problem.

I also use hotspot on my phone, and when I connect to the internet, my antenna channels work, even when I turn the internet back off.

Until I go to home or switch the input, then it's back to the black screen when trying to watch antenna tv.

I have been back and forth with roku support on twitter, but no actual help is provided. I explained my problem over and over on DM, but either they can't read, or they just don't care. I even provided video and screenshots of my problem. 

All I ever get is;

Sorry to hear about this, here's a link to some troubleshooting tips, or you need to contact your tv's manufacturer.

It's like, People, I know what caused it, the update, and the releasing gravity locks updates after, whatever that did besides screw up my tv more.

Still doesn't work, and I'm starting to get very annoyed with roku... I need some real support from them, not this sorry **bleep**...

0 Kudos
Mrr2
Level 7

I think its time to get the FCC involved. Its against the law to require the internet to access digital channels.

0 Kudos