Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Babski80
Level 7

“Launch failed” and “can’t run channel”

I started receiving these two messages yesterday. “Launch failed” is related to Amazon. It says to remove channels because there isn’t enough space. I have removed channels and there is no change. “Can’t run channel” happens with multiple channels, but specifically witH PBS KIDS. The message further states that it can’t be reinstalled.

I’ve rebooted my router. Don’t know what else to try.
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: “Launch failed” and “can’t run channel”

What is the Roku device? Model number is very helpful.

Does it have an microSD card? If so, remove it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Babski80
Level 7

It’s an Express. Model number 3700. No SD card.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

That model, from 2016, should be working just fine.

The responses you're reporting don't make sense. We're missing something. So, let's get some more data and see what's up.

Where are you? State should be sufficient.

Are you using a VPN?

How many apps/channels do you have on your Roku?

The Roku information and channel (app) information from this page: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44685

Do any apps run correctly? Which ones?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
echa
Level 7

We are now starting to see Launch Failed notification when trying to open YoutubeTV in our upstairs master bedroom Roku Ultra

• We removed multiple apps as suggested but continue to get this Launch Failed message upstairs.

• YoutubeTV app works fine on Roku Ultra device in downstairs living room, which makes this even more perplexing.

• Only recently had this problem, we've had YoutubeTV since February. Never had a problem before on either upstairs or downstairs Roku. And that was when we had 20+ apps on the home screen. 

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
crxt13
Level 7

Hi I have been having similar issues with my ROKU a few days ago:
I started receiving these two messages a few days. “Launch failed” originally related to Sling. It says to remove channels because there isn’t enough space. I have removed channels and there is no change.
The normal channels didn't have an issue until a few days later and then more…HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu once and then not anymore. Some say  “the ____ channel could not be run B/C it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again”. This happens with multiple channels. Last night the only channel I could open was HULU. I have the  ROKU STEAMING STICK.

I decided to try it on another TV, both were Smart TV and it worked fine, I discovered a tiny "reset" button on the device that gets inserted to the HDMI. And am curious if that is what I could have used to reset it on the first TV, but I will never know unless it happens again. I took it back to the first tv and it works fine. I can get all the channels again. So check to see if your ROKU has a reset button and try that or unplug it and put try on another tv or replug into your device.
0 Kudos
slghokie
Level 7

I had the same issue recently with Youtube. If I restart Roku then I do not get the message and can access Youtube.
Scott
0 Kudos
Vorg
Level 7

Getting same thing tonight trying to launch Amazon Prime. Haven't added any channels in maybe a week and the last ones added where removed. Having it check for updates seemed to fix it, but I went out of the app and a few minutes latter tried again and started getting same thing.

3600xx Roku Stick
Software Version 8.0.0 Build 4184-24

32 apps. But since it was working, that is not the problem. Maybe they got a memory leak some place. I did notice today the Crackle Icon has changed. Hardly ever launch crackle because The background garbage they have going on now makes it too anoying to use.

Now nothing launches because of "network errors". Network is fine
Rechecking for updates didn't work this time. Had to select restart. 
0 Kudos
Johnhoven
Level 7

I am having the same problem on two devices. One has roku built into the smart TV the other is a roku device plugged into a TV. In both cases I have check that there are no system updates needed, i have done a network check and have removed quite a few channels from each device. I have powered off each device as well as the routers each is connected to. One is wireless the other is wired.

What is going on. Is roku getting hacked?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Johnhoven" wrote:
I am having the same problem on two devices.  One has roku built into the smart TV the other is a roku device plugged into a TV.  In both cases I have check that there are no system updates needed, i have done a network check and have removed quite a few channels from each device.  I have powered off each device as well as the routers each is connected to.  One is wireless the other is wired.

What is going on.  Is roku getting hacked?

You didn't say what app you were trying to play, so I tried Prime Video. It's working like a champ.

Now, what you've done seems like proper steps, and you're still not getting some app to run. So, what is the app? And where are you (state/country)?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos