Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Latest firmware update causing issues

Hello,

I have a Roku Premier and after an firmware update to the Roku about 10 days ago, I can no longer screen cast from my Android 10 phone....it connects, I get audio but video is limited to a funky version of my cell background.....no icons, no apps, no menu.  Furthermore, YouTube closes out if I hit my back button during a video instead of returning to the main YouTube screen.   I want to downgrade to the previous firmware as I lost major usability with this one.  Help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Keith

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Latest firmware update causing issues

No way to roll back the OS, sorry. I haven't encountered any issue with YouTube, and I use it almost daily. I don't have an Android device anymore, so can't check that for you.

For YouTube, the first suggestion is always to remove the channel, reboot the Roku, and reinstall the channel. Yes, I highlighted the reboot, because too many people skip that step and the uninstall isn't completed. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks Dan👍 Your advice seems to have fixed Youtube.

I removed my phone from Screen Mirroring Devices list and tried again, but no luck.

Would like to get that worked working.

Anyone have suggestions to fix screen Mirroring?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@kbhoward wrote:

Thanks Dan👍 Your advice seems to have fixed Youtube.

I removed my phone from Screen Mirroring Devices list and tried again, but no luck.

Would like to get that worked working.

Anyone have suggestions to fix screen Mirroring?

Can't help there. My Windows 10 laptop will screen mirror just fine. It's possible there was an update to you phone at the same time that might be the problem. But it's been 3 years since I've had an Android phone, and I honestly can't recall how I mirrored it, although it did work at the time with a Galaxy S8 phone.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yeah, no updates to phone.... it's an "old", obscure , Essential Phone, updated to Android 10....no more updates because company is defunct.  My laptop isn't capable of screen casting (**bleep** vid card)....nothing else to test with....I could try a factory reset on Roku.....thanks again Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well, I was a little premature to say the YouTube problem is fixed.... it's not.  I watch a video to near the end, hit the back button and YouTube quits like I pressed the Home button.  Also, and this is extra annoying, if I pause a video to take a call or bathroom break, come back and hit play, now I have to wait through another d*a*m*n*e*d commercial just to unpause the video!  Not cool.  These are issues with the YouTube app specifically, but the screen cast issue is, I believe, related to a firmware update.  This Roku is not that old and I've been a Roku customer since 2012 or so....I'm quite disappointed.  Probably time to switch media players.  Dan, extra thanks to you for suggestions and trying to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@kbhoward wrote:

Also, and this is extra annoying, if I pause a video to take a call or bathroom break, come back and hit play, now I have to wait through another d*a*m*n*e*d commercial just to unpause the video!  Not cool.  

Well, that's something that Google would have to answer. Sounds like they figured out how to throw a commercial in there if you pause. I pause on occasion and have never seen that, but maybe I've been lucky. But that isn't something that Roku is doing. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yeah I realize that the app behaviour is Google. I'm frustrated because I went from a perfectly working setup to something subpar and definitely NOT consistent with Roku standard of quality. Maybe they should moderate the apps and make sure they perform as they should and not waste their time or their customers troubleshooting broken apps. The app aside, I did a factory reset to see if screen cast would work and it does not connect at all now. My phone connects to my mom's TCL Roku TV just fine.... it's not my phone. I went to Rokus website looking for customer service and was informed that this device is not supported, try the community forum. I feel like this is planned obsolescence. I'm not gonna shell out another $60 just because Roku decided to junk a perfectly working piece of equipment and force another purchase on me.

0 Kudos